SMS messages coming in through 2 apps.

Dhawk1202

Nov 14, 2014
Visit site
I really dislike the stock messaging app on this phone. I'm a fan of textra. The problem is that messages intermittently come through the stock app instead of textra. No known reason. Textra is set as the default of course. When this happens, the message does not show up in textra at all. I can't disable the stock app, and can't find a fix. Anyone else?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
It IS a known reason: Advanced Messaging (or RCS). On the messages that come through the stock app, long tap on any and select DETAILS. If it says 'CHAT', then those are coming through RCS. In some phones you could just flip a switch and turn it off, but it seems the V20 lacks this. The only way I could turn it off was by turning off VoLTE (in Call Settings).

Unfortunately, RCS doesn't have an API for developers to access, so 3rd party apps like Textra can't access those.

https://textra.uservoice.com/knowle...-mobile-at-t-missing-messages-i-am-seeing-mes

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
This and disable any notification
Disable the stock SMS app's permissions.

Nope, that's not it. OPs problem aren't duplicate notifications, it's that some messages come through the stock messaging app even when you set Textra as your default, and some others come through Textra (and the ones that are on the stock one don't show up in Textra).

That's a very clear indication that it's RCS-related (as I've sadly come to learn on the V20). And since Textra doesn't have access to these (still not sure if it's a carrier-imposed block or if it's a poor Android implementation), those 'advanced messages' have to come through the stock app, even though it's not the default.

At least on T-Mobile's V20, the switch to turn this off is gone, so the only way to get all messages to come through Textra (and disabling Advanced Messages, so the other party won't see received/read/typing indicators) is by turning off VoLTE.

Kansatsusha

Sep 4, 2016
Visit site
Well I know when ever I add another sms app both app get txt message until I disable things... reread the TS.... NVM XD ... THIS APPLY FOR NORMAL MESSAGES.
It those other special message that coming to the stock while ignoring the default.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Well I know when ever I add another sms app both app get txt message until I disable things... reread the TS.... NVM XD ... THIS APPLY FOR NORMAL MESSAGES.
It those other special message that coming to the stock while ignoring the default.

Yup, that's what causes the double notification (and the stock messaging app should still see the messages, regardless). And like you said, this applies for normal SMS/MMS. In this case, the 'hidden' messages that only the stock app can see are coming as RCS messages.

Dhawk1202

Nov 14, 2014
Visit site
Better voice quality and call reliability. It's not a HUGE loss, but it's a feature that should improve your call experience that you won't have available. HD calling, however, still works regardless.

Awesome thanks. I love the HD calling, so if I retain this, then it might be worth it.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I suggest you try making a call as it is to a number that supports HD Calls. Then turn VoLTE off and call the same number. Compare quality and decide if it's worth it :)

d3t99

Oct 22, 2016
Visit site
I had that problem. . Theres a thread here somewhere
I disabled permissions and all is well

I wouldn't know if there are any messages I'm not getting as a result :) no complaints so far

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital