Day 2 Thoughts

ajb1965

Trusted Member
Jun 14, 2014
Visit site
I picked mine up from T-Mobile yesterday. To give an idea of my perspective, started on Android, spent time on Windows 8/8.1/10 Mobile, then back to Android on LG G4/V10, S7E, Note 7. Most recently, I've been using an iPhone 6S Plus on iOS 10. I’ve been an IT and Telecom guy for 30 years. Phones are kind of a hobby for me :) I don't live on my phone, but I do have it in my hand a good part of my day and use it for both work and play. I’m using the stock launcher and apps except for the keyboard. I must have my Swiftkey.

Battery Life - Too early to make a final judgement, but my initial observation is giving me V10 flashbacks. Discharges very quickly but it runs cool. I'm sure it will normalize over time. Quick charge helps to ease some of that, but I think a second battery is in my future.

Camera - Once I was guided (thanks to the awesome folks here) to change the settings from default to 4.3 - 16MP, things have been usable and the pictures are very nice. Not as quick to launch or focus as the S7E/N7, but much better low light than the 6S+. Unfortunately, it has taken a few deep breaths before it’s started a few times, which is troubling. Video is nice, and LG has some features that I have not seen elsewhere. The ability to record video with the front and back cameras simultaneously is interesting. It was on the V10 as well, but I'm surprised it's not mentioned more because you can do some nice things with it.

Performance - I'd say it's on par or slightly better in some areas than my S7E. Say what you want about LG/UX, but IMO it's better optimized than TouchWhiz, even if it is ugly. Spending a good amount of time with my favorite game (Hitman Sniper), and it launches quick, and runs smoothly. Switching between apps hasn't revealed much stalling, and video playback has been stutter free - something that I always struggled with on Samsung for some reason. Overall it feels consistent and smooth throughout, and not jumpy or over eager when scrolling through web pages or apps.

Bluetooth - I have a Samsung Gear S2 Classic paired with it as well as a Fitbit Charge HR. Notifications come through fine on the S2 and the Fitbit was a non issue too. Paired my LG Tone Infinum's and they sound great. I don’t use BT audio in my car, so I can’t comment on that.

Design - An under-noticed feature that I appreciate is the ability to rearrange and manage the home screen buttons. I'm sure this helps the Samsung folks out with that pesky back button being on the wrong side lol. I also like the thought that was put into the additional home button options. The ability to launch the notification panel from there is a very useful feature that helps make the size of the phone less of an issue. The secondary display is basically the same as the V10. I like the notification aspect of it, but don't see myself using it for much else this time either. The phone is easy to hold on to and feels surprisingly light when compared to the V10, even though it’s only 18 grams lighter.

Display - Display is bright and pleasant to look at. Outdoor viewing has been adequate, but nothing spectacular. I don’t get too hung up on the IPS vs AMOLED argument, I like what I like regardless of the tech. The V20 display is nice, period.

What I don’t like – Battery life. Again, only a little while into this phone, but all indications are that I am going to be looking for a place to charge a few times a day. Poor to mediocre battery life has never been a major issue for me, but after coming from the S7E and the 6S+, I know that it can and should be better.
Physical button and FPS placement. I wish LG would make up their mind. I liked the back-panel buttons on the G4 and V10. They made sense to me. Once you got used to it, it felt very natural. I’m not sold on the FPS on the back. It seems counter intuitive. Picking up the phone to use it rather than just tapping the front button to unlock is an extra step. It’s also cumbersome with a case on. I realize the tap to wake is there for quick notification information, but this is my opinion.
It’s nitpicking for sure and easily rectified, but I don’t like the look of the LG/UX much. It works well but it looks….. boring. I’m done with launchers and spending hours getting a phone just right. I’m more about the easy experience these days and often opt for the factory apps rather than third party. Less to configure, and less to hassle with when things go south. I’ll take function over form any day of the week, but it would be nice if they jazzed it up a little.

Comparing it to the Note 7, I can honestly say I don’t miss that much. Yes, the S Pen was handy but not essential for me. The Capture Plus app can be added to the home button panel for quick launch, and allows much of the same functionality for notating and sharing screen shots. I do miss the gif creator though, I had fun with that.

I don’t usually spend time writing novels, and outside of Yelp, I rarely review. However, I was on the fence about this phone for quite a while, and I’m certain others are still weighing pros and cons trying to decide given the vacuum the Note 7 recall left. The more real world user opinions (to some degree anyway) that are out there, the more information they have to help that decision.

Cheers

Jeremiah Bonds

Trusted Member
Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
Welcome. We will enjoy your input. Glad you gave this phone a try. Let us know about battery because I came from a V10 and the battery for me and a few others here are leagues beyond the V10.

DamianP

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
Battery : Check App usage
For me v20 blows v10 and note 4 away in the battery dept.

Agreed. I'm getting better battery life than I did on the Note 7. I average 4.5 to 5 hour SOT For my use compared to the same use and apps on the Note 7 where I barely got 4 hours.

missy8787

Jan 11, 2016
Visit site
Battery for me has been great so far lasts me a whole day and I'm a heavy user. So far love this phone loads better then my note 5

SupraLB

Oct 28, 2015
Visit site
For battery:

1. Switch to battery saver mode for the GPS. There is no reason to have GPS on the high setting all the time. The battery saver is more than adequate, until you start driving with nav needed.

2. Switch to high contrast in the accessibility settings. Allows me to use a lower brightness, and still see very well. Black backgrounds are just more pleasing also.

3. Screen brightness of 55 to 60% is all you need unless outdoors. As with any phone, screen brightness is probably the biggest influence on battery.

With that,, I'm getting great battery life. And I'm the one who trashed the phone earlier to have an LCD screen and the 3200 battery (instead of 3500).

Jeremiah Bonds

Trusted Member
Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
For battery:

1. Switch to battery saver mode for the GPS. There is no reason to have GPS on the high setting all the time. The battery saver is more than adequate, until you start driving with nav needed.

2. Switch to high contrast in the accessibility settings. Allows me to use a lower brightness, and still see very well. Black backgrounds are just more pleasing also.

3. Screen brightness of 55 to 60% is all you need unless outdoors. As with any phone, screen brightness is probably the biggest influence on battery.

With that,, I'm getting great battery life. And I'm the one who trashed the phone earlier to have an LCD screen and the 3200 battery (instead of 3500).

I agree, but high contrast gave me slightly less battery life, personally.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Battery life is a relative thing to the user. The OP probably uses their device differently. I know my scale to compare for my usage and network area for SOT

MXPE = 3.5
Note 4 = 5 (MM update, reset to stock and new battery)
Note 7 = 5.5 (both I had)

Now, whenever (if they do) BB gets the Verizon model in, I will get one to test. I want the $200 credit for my G1, Verizon will give $0 for it and my Note 4 is doing fine so no hurry, but is frustrating Verizon is holding out on the BB allocation.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
Battery life for me is better than the V10. In fact, to me, that's the biggest improvement over the V10 (that I notice). I'm still loving everything else about both the V10 and V20.

Last edited:

ajb1965

Trusted Member
Jun 14, 2014
Visit site
Battery life is a relative thing to the user. The OP probably uses their device differently. I know my scale to compare for my usage and network area for SOT

MXPE = 3.5
Note 4 = 5 (MM update, reset to stock and new battery)
Note 7 = 5.5 (both I had)

Agreed. While not scientific, I have used the same set of apps and games on my last 5 devices and my usage patterns are pretty consistent each day. I'll give it a some time this week with normal workdays before I render any judgement lol. I know SOT is a more consistent measurement, but for me I use my TOC (time off charger!) because 5 hours of SOT doesn't mean much to me if I have to find a charger 7 hours into my day. I was typically getting around 12 hours with my S7E, 10 on my Note 7, and 15 on the 6S+. If I can get 10 hours out of the V20 without having to change my usage pattern then I will be happy.

va2azerik

Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
OP mentioned "The ability to record video with the front and back cameras simultaneously"

How do you do that?

Open camera > select mode> choose Multi-View

I found it just messing around and it is really cool. You can take multiple pictures at the same time. You can make a video of the front and rear cameras at the same time . You can open three split screens at the same time, start a video, stop that one then start another one, stop that one and finish off with the last video.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Open camera > select mode> choose Multi-View

I found it just messing around and it is really cool. You can take multiple pictures at the same time. You can make a video of the front and rear cameras at the same time . You can open three split screens at the same time, start a video, stop that one then start another one, stop that one and finish off with the last video.

Technically it's not simultaneously three different videos merged into one. I knew I had that feature for photos on the G5....never thought to try video.

juliesdroidsync

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
Sweet Baby Jesus, I just want to say Thank You for telling me that I can switch the home buttons... I have not been able to train myself that the back button was on the Left and the recent apps list was on the right... after years of Sammy my brain completely refused to comply, but now... peacefulness... :)

muckrakerX

May 23, 2013
Visit site
Sweet Baby Jesus, I just want to say Thank You for telling me that I can switch the home buttons... I have not been able to train myself that the back button was on the Left and the recent apps list was on the right... after years of Sammy my brain completely refused to comply, but now... peacefulness... :)

Install the notification shade button down there, too. Much better than swiping down from the top.

bluesboy77

Aug 26, 2016
Visit site
Agreed. I'm getting better battery life than I did on the Note 7. I average 4.5 to 5 hour SOT For my use compared to the same use and apps on the Note 7 where I barely got 4 hours.

Yep, same here, I'm very happy with the battery life I'm getting.

mwake4goten

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
I got totally different phone, I just bought HTC 10 and first 4 days or so the battery was horrible I could literally see the battery dropping...but after about day 5 the battery seemed to find itself somehow and normalised and now I'm getting great battery life...I've heard this before from others too...sometimes it takes a few days for the battery to calibrate itself... However if you want to manually troubleshoot the battery you could do a cache wipe procedure...sometimes phone battery can be affected by issues with apps, the best way to solve this is to do a cache wipe...it always works for me whenever my phonr battery starts draining erratically... hope that helps