The Camera is only as good as the Photographer

strikeIII

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
People that rely on a good camera should really take a step back and take the time to learn how to use it. I'm no pro photographer but I do like to take good photos. It's good to at least build some skills on how to do just that. Don't rely on the camera to take a good photo for you instead take the time to make it a good photo. Just something to think about with the slew of debates between which device has the best camera.

Below are a couple of interesting articles to read that pertains to anyone who cares about taking good photos.

Rant: We Photographers Have Lost Our North, Stop the Endless Gear Debates

Rant: We Photographers Have Lost Our North, Stop the Endless Gear Debates

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
A real photographer would not be using a phone and digital zoom (but see your point). A phone camera is primarily for convenience, so the automodes should be optimized. LG seems to have thrown stuff on a ceiling to see what sticks. Nominal effort with auto. Most people use auto, so LG missed the boat in that regard.

Having to rely on manual because auto has comparitave quality issues is not convenient or quick. For a phone, tap and shoot should be priority and customization at user discretion rather than having to. Put a better sensor and optical zoom, then we can talk photography :)

Last edited:

lateck2

Sep 11, 2016
Visit site
Strkell your very right!
If someone wants photos to make a living on, use the proper tool.
But, every tool (phone) can do a very good job if the person handling it knows how to use it!
Even in full auto.

Lateck,

strikeIII

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
A real photographer would not be using a phone and digital zoom (but see your point). A phone camera is primarily for convenience, so the automodes should be optimized. LG seems to have thrown stuff on a ceiling to see what sticks. Nominal effort with auto. Most people use auto, so LG missed the boat in that regard.

Having to rely on manual because auto has comparitave quality issues is not convenient or quick. For a phone, tap and shoot should be priority and customization at user discretion rather than having to. Put a better sensor and optical zoom, then we can talk photography :)
I disagree. Some real photographers do use mobile devices. Not as their main camera. Again it's all about knowing how to use the tool you are using.

SupraLB

Oct 28, 2015
Visit site
True, and half of photographers work is spent in Photoshop. Software in the camera and on the computer make a big difference.

strikeIII

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
I understand that majority of people just want to point and shoot. But this day in age these flagship phones are more than capable of producing a solid image and when people complain that the shot they take is not clear when there are plenty of pictures showing otherwise then they need to rethink how they take pictures. My OP was geared towards people who consider the quality of the camera when purchasing a device and if that's the case then there's still some responsibility of the user to learn how to take a good photo rather than blaming it on the device. People need to learn and know the limitations and work around that. You can give a $5000 kit to anyone and that doesn't mean they'll still take good photos even in the auto setting.

BTW, this was in no way defending the quality of the V20, or any other device for that matter, I'm simply just stating that you can read or watch reviews all day of people comparing the photo quality of all these flagships but at the end of the day the person taking the photos is what determines the quality.

pinkvikchick

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
I like using ANYTHING to get a good shot. I've been interested in photography since the mid 80s, so I had to learn the old manual SLR way.

With a "not so good" cell phone camera, there are things you can do to make it look a lot better, metering, using the focus lock, rule of thirds, changing to a higher film when it's to dark, not taking shots towards the sun...but mostly is knowing the limitations of the phone. I had a Blackberry Passport that took the best pics EVER but only in bright sunlight and everything had to be stationary. I agree, I see a lot of people that don't realize they could take a good pic and blame it on the cell phone camera.

And yes, the camera has to be good (not any SLR) and that is a deal breaker for me. Why not, we post pics everywhere, having a good camera makes it a lot easier.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463