LG v20 - No FM Radio; A Verizon "Get The Runaround" Special! Help Me if You're Annoyed, too.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Re: LG v20 - No FM Radio; A Verizon "Get The Runaround" Special! Help Me if You're Annoyed, too.

Really? Remember the lawsuit about Bluetooth being removed by Blackberry at the request of Verizon? Verizon was found guilty weren't they? And wasn't that when they started playing with words and letting carriers either buy into or not buy into certain features so it could not legally be considered disabling? Or am I drastically oversimplifying something much more complicated...?
Just staying.. Carriers remove features all the time. Some worse than others. I'm sure if it was illegal it would have been stopped by someone now.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Really? Remember the lawsuit about Bluetooth being removed by Blackberry at the request of Verizon? Verizon was found guilty weren't they? And wasn't that when they started playing with words and letting carriers either buy into or not buy into certain features so it could not legally be considered disabling? Or am I drastically oversimplifying something much more complicated...?

If the V20 was being marketed with certain features and no disclaimer about carrier specifics you might have a leg to stand on since it would be implied that all V20s had those features. I doubt the software features are listed anywhere and I'm uncertain about hardware features like FM support.

juliesdroidsync

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
Re: LG v20 - No FM Radio; A Verizon "Get The Runaround" Special! Help Me if You're Annoyed, too.

Just staying.. Carriers remove features all the time. Some worse than others. I'm sure if it was illegal it would have been stopped by someone now.
I'm sure you're right that it's legal at this time. But in spirit, I don't see it as being any different than the lawsuit that started it all which was Verizon specifically asking Blackberry to remove Bluetooth, which was deemed illegal because it was removing something that they called standard features... probably a legal construct that they created at the time to help them resolve the case... :)

They're violating the Same Spirit of the law but getting around it by playing with words. That's all I'm saying :)

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Which BlackBerry lawsuit?

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

I'm sure you're right that it's legal at this time. But in spirit, I don't see it as being any different than the lawsuit that started it all which was Verizon specifically asking Blackberry to remove Bluetooth, which was deemed illegal because it was removing something that they called standard features... probably a legal construct that they created at the time to help them resolve the case... :)

They're violating the Same Spirit of the law but getting around it by playing with words. That's all I'm saying :)

I remember there was a class action lawsuit against Verizon and Motorola over the Motorola V710 which had Bluetooth but not the Bluetooth profiles that allowed file transfers.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Do you have a link to this? I looked and couldn't find it.

juliesdroidsync

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site

Which BlackBerry lawsuit?
Let me see if I can find that... It was something they were explaining to me on the Verizon website about why what they were doing was not illegal...

juliesdroidsync

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site

Do you have a link to this? I looked and couldn't find it.
I did a search for Blackberry, Verizon, Bluetooth, lawsuit

Here are some of the links that pulled up

People on the Verizon Forum where the first ones that told me about it. It's been a minute though. It looks like it was around 2005 that this was going on

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...8PkNQ6mZLyBEINF7w&sig2=6Dz3eSGjv-ktfYI3bPL9Ng

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...0AW8r6ogO63xpNV3A&sig2=PrbnnjYoFrjFM9r-45G1dg

Ed_Grohl

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site

Wish I could just give my FM Radio to someone as a gift. I have zero use for it.

juliesdroidsync

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site

Wish I could just give my FM Radio to someone as a gift. I have zero use for it.
Well with Verizon anyway it's not just FM radio . It's FM radio, Google in apps search shortcut, and smart settings...

And to some people limited support for themes is also bothering them.

But the first three items show a pattern. A pattern that is apparently legal. Those three things force you to use more data. Verizon got in trouble for that in the past, but the way they do it now is apparently legal..

ggendel

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

I like you... a lot! THIS ^^^ is what I'm talkin' about...

Thanks. I don't usually get riled up, but when I first complained and they told me "As long as you can make calls and send texts, we don't have to do anything more" the hairs on the back of my neck stood up. The funny thing was that all I asked was if they were working on the problem and they refused to tell me citing a wide variety of excuses like, "that's proprietary information", and "we want to give the best experience to our stakeholders". I took the latter to mean that they didn't want to expend any effort that impacted their profit.

My take on the FM issue is that they are hoping that you'll use lots of data by streaming music instead.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

I did a search for Blackberry, Verizon, Bluetooth, lawsuit

Here are some of the links that pulled up

People on the Verizon Forum where the first ones that told me about it. It's been a minute though. It looks like it was around 2005 that this was going on

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...8PkNQ6mZLyBEINF7w&sig2=6Dz3eSGjv-ktfYI3bPL9Ng

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...0AW8r6ogO63xpNV3A&sig2=PrbnnjYoFrjFM9r-45G1dg

Ah okay. Yeah 2005 was a way different time. Now a days it is pretty in the norm for carriers to make special requests and manufacturers to listen and help. That is why I think it isn't illegal since they're getting help from people who make the phone. Apple is the only one who simply tells them "This is how it is" and they go with it.

Ed_Grohl

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site

Well with Verizon anyway it's not just FM radio . It's FM radio, Google in apps search shortcut, and smart settings...

And to some people limited support for themes is also bothering them.

But the first three items show a pattern. A pattern that is apparently legal. Those three things force you to use more data. Verizon got in trouble for that in the past, but the way they do it now is apparently legal..

Wow...they removed the Smart Settings, too? That's pretty bad. Figure those are more useful.

juliesdroidsync

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
Re: LG v20 -No FM Radio; A Verizon "Get The Runaround" Special! Help Me if You're Annoyed

Ah okay. Yeah 2005 was a way different time. Now a days it is pretty in the norm for carriers to make special requests and manufacturers to listen and help. That is why I think it isn't illegal since they're getting help from people who make the phone. Apple is the only one who simply tells them "This is how it is" and they go with it.

What I haven't found yet, but I will search more because I find it interesting, is how the outcome of this particular lawsuit changed the way that carriers could "not support by not buying in" for "features that are not standard".

If I understand correctly, the gripe about the bluetooth that started this lawsuit was that Verizon had BB partially disable bluetooth so you couldn't transfer files - forcing you to use data if you couldn't connect to a local network... something which is the norm in a business environment.

So the fallout was manufacturers and carriers figured out all manufacturers had to do is label everything a phone can do as *non-standard, and then charge the carriers *per item* for these *non-standard features.

Which, if true, totally violates what the spirit of the law was trying to do to protect consumers, if not the letter. Because the letter of the law says (supposedly - again, gotta find it) that "a carrier cannot disable a standard feature".

But I need to find more in-depth articles on it, as this is how it was explained to me and I can't prove it. But on the surface, it does seem to hold water. Personally, I don't like the idea of adding more laws about anything... I lean toward anarchy myself! LOL But I do believe that things like disclosure and truth in advertising are important... and frankly, every once in awhile, something trips my OCD and I just have a hard time letting go of things... :)

juliesdroidsync

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site

Thanks. I don't usually get riled up, but when I first complained and they told me "As long as you can make calls and send texts, we don't have to do anything more" the hairs on the back of my neck stood up. The funny thing was that all I asked was if they were working on the problem and they refused to tell me citing a wide variety of excuses like, "that's proprietary information", and "we want to give the best experience to our stakeholders". I took the latter to mean that they didn't want to expend any effort that impacted their profit.

My take on the FM issue is that they are hoping that you'll use lots of data by streaming music instead.

Also my take, when viewed in context of also removing Google In Apps Search Shortcut, and Smart Settings; both of which will also make you use more data. That's where a pattern emerges...

juliesdroidsync

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
Re: LG v20 -No FM Radio; A Verizon Get The Runaround" Special! Help Me if You're Annoyed

Wow...they removed the Smart Settings, too? That's pretty bad. Figure those are more useful.

Yes, and here is my *theory* why... Most people I know, myself included, turn off their wifi when they leave their house. I don't want the popups, and I don't connect to wifi networks outside my home, typically. (or bluetooth). So you can use the "Away From Home" setting to turn off your wifi when you leave...

You can then use the "At Home" setting to turn your wifi back on when you get home and you'll automatically reconnect...

So why would Big Red not want you to have that? Hmmm.... if you have to do it manually, you may forget... then, you'll use more of that Verizon data, won't you?

SupraLB

Oct 28, 2015
Visit site

In regards to In apps search shortcut, and smart settings, i'm really curious if the Android 7.0 rollouts that have begun have them. I read Moto Z on Verizon just started hitting phones.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site

This is just me wondering out loud, but think about how cars are sold. They are advertised in the U.S. with "available" this or that, but they are actually option packages. Perhaps it's time to start thinking in those terms about phones. If you want all the features, you'll have to buy a version with all the features active even if it means buying unlocked or changing carriers.

juliesdroidsync

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site

This is just me wondering out loud, but think about how cars are sold. They are advertised in the U.S. with "available" this or that, but they are actually option packages. Perhaps it's time to start thinking in those terms about phones. If you want all the features, you'll have to buy a version with all the features active even if it means buying unlocked or changing carriers.

I wouldn't mind that; that would be much better than what we have now, and at least I'd know up front and have the option.

Although, from what I understand, if true, I would prefer how they do things overseas...

The manufacturers make a phone. The carriers support everything the phone can do, and don't disable anything. Done.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site

I doubt it. Who has the $ to take them to court over it?

I love when David stands up to Goliath but I'm no good with a sling. Hope somebody here is.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanran21