Unlocked LG v20 US 996 on Verizon. Has anyone already done this?

juliesdroidsync

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
You after purchase by the 20th but you're allowed to mail it in until a little past December. Also if you know the imei from the previous purchase you might be able to double dip.

"Offer valid on purchases through 11/20/2016. Must redeem by 12/9/2016", in the fine print! (All I saw on the main page was Offer Valid through 11/20/2016) You were right... Lovely!
Nah on the double dip, though... ;-)

Kangda

Aug 20, 2016
Visit site
Does wifi calling work on the unlocked one from B&H? I have T-Mobile and was wondering if wi fi calling works with the unlocked. Thx.

juliesdroidsync

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
OK, folks... I have them both in hand, on different lines.
If there's anything you want me to check, I'll be happy to do so over the next day or two, so let me know. Here's what I've found so far; a couple of surprises:

1.) FM Radio - does NOT work on either the Verizon version or the Unlocked version.
2.) Wifi Calling - Yes, Verizon - No, Unlocked
3.) Advanced Calling Feature - HD Voice - Yes, Verizon - Yes, Unlocked
4.) Advanced Calling Feature - Video - Yes, Verizon - No, Unlocked (did not expect that one - no video calling is a big bummer for me...)
5.) Google In Apps Search Shortcut - No, Verizon - Yes, Unlocked (and it is awesome enough to almost warrant keeping this phone just for this one thing!)
6.) Smart Settings / My Places - No, Verizon - Yes, Unlocked
7.) Verizon Bloatware - Yes, Verizon, but can be disabled - No, Unlocked
8.) Wireless Hotspot - Yes, Verizon - Yes, Unlocked
9.) Theme Support - Partial, Verizon - Yes, Unlocked (need to spend more time with this, as I think only the unlocked supports icon packs)
10.) Visual Voicemail - Yes, Verizon - No, Unlocked (but there are apparently apps for this; I need to spend some time checking on this one.)

juliesdroidsync

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
OK, folks... I have them both in hand, on different lines.
If there's anything you want me to check, I'll be happy to do so over the next day or two, so let me know. Here's what I've found so far; a couple of surprises:

1.) FM Radio - does NOT work on either the Verizon version or the Unlocked version.
2.) Wifi Calling - Yes, Verizon - No, Unlocked
3.) Advanced Calling Feature - HD Voice - Yes, Verizon - Yes, Unlocked
4.) Advanced Calling Feature - Video - Yes, Verizon - No, Unlocked (did not expect that one - no video calling is a big bummer for me...)
5.) Google In Apps Search Shortcut - No, Verizon - Yes, Unlocked (and it is awesome enough to almost warrant keeping this phone just for this one thing!)
6.) Smart Settings / My Places - No, Verizon - Yes, Unlocked
7.) Verizon Bloatware - Yes, Verizon, but can be disabled - No, Unlocked
8.) Wireless Hotspot - Yes, Verizon - Yes, Unlocked
9.) Theme Support - Partial, Verizon - Yes, Unlocked (need to spend more time with this, as I think only the unlocked supports icon packs)

SupraLB

Oct 28, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the summary!

In apps search shortcut is the only thing I truly miss and super pissed about. I couldn't live without the HD calling though. If the other person has it, its like talking in the same room!

juliesdroidsync

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the summary!

In apps search shortcut is the only thing I truly miss and super pissed about. I couldn't live without the HD calling though. If the other person has it, its like talking in the same room!
You do have the HD calling for voice, but just not for video. And also not for Wi-Fi calling. The video calling is probably going to be the actual deal-breaker for me though... I use that when I go to the store and I'm trying to buy something for my husband. I just show him what I'm looking at on the video call and either it's right or it's wrong. Saves a lot of time and aggravation in a marriage :)

juliesdroidsync

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
Well, I'm finishing boxing up both my Verizon v20 and Unlocked v20 to ship back to Verizon & B&H respectively... it's been a good test drive, but the v20 is just not the phone for me, at this time anyway, with Verizon.
Thanks to all who helped me wade through this!

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
You do have the HD calling for voice, but just not for video. And also not for Wi-Fi calling. The video calling is probably going to be the actual deal-breaker for me though... I use that when I go to the store and I'm trying to buy something for my husband. I just show him what I'm looking at on the video call and either it's right or it's wrong. Saves a lot of time and aggravation in a marriage :)

You could just take a picture and send it.

juliesdroidsync

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
You could just take a picture and send it.
Funny guy... :) I could send smoke signals instead of making a phone call, too... But why should I? LOL

Example, just tonight I was looking for something for him and couldn't find it.

So I made a video call and started walking down the aisle so he could scan everything that was on the shelves... :)

he finally saw items similar to what he wanted , I zoomed in, and then he compared two or three, and then chose one...

marital bliss ensued...

There's a reason he's stayed with me nearly 25 years :)

elisheva60

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I just bought the unlocked version from B&H and am using it on T-Mobile. Really annoyed that the FM radio seems to be disabled!! Video calling seems to be a carrier add-on from Verizon. Regarding wi-fi calling. I checked with the LG before buying who told me it was a carrier enabled feature and that it should not be a problem. Checked with T-Mo who also said no problem they could add the feature for me. Cut to today. No wi-fi calling in settings. Called T-Mo who now said oopsie, we can't add that!!!
Really pissed at ALL the carriers. Verizon disables lots of cool features and the others you can't get a clear answer. The wi-fi calling is available however -- just hidden!! You download the app called "quick shortcut maker." There you search for wi-fi calling and then make a shortcut icon. You can enable wi-fi calling through the shortcut, just not directly through settings.

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
I just bought the unlocked version from B&H and am using it on T-Mobile. Really annoyed that the FM radio seems to be disabled!! Video calling seems to be a carrier add-on from Verizon. Regarding wi-fi calling. I checked with the LG before buying who told me it was a carrier enabled feature and that it should not be a problem. Checked with T-Mo who also said no problem they could add the feature for me. Cut to today. No wi-fi calling in settings. Called T-Mo who now said oopsie, we can't add that!!!
Really pissed at ALL the carriers. Verizon disables lots of cool features and the others you can't get a clear answer. The wi-fi calling is available however -- just hidden!! You download the app called "quick shortcut maker." There you search for wi-fi calling and then make a shortcut icon. You can enable wi-fi calling through the shortcut, just not directly through settings.

I have tmobile. So if I download this app it will find the wifi calling for me? Is the wifi calling operating on a third party app, or is it actually wifi calling but they just hid it on the phone? This is something I'd love to know.

elisheva60

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I have tmobile. So if I download this app it will find the wifi calling for me? Is the wifi calling operating on a third party app, or is it actually wifi calling but they just hid it on the phone? This is something I'd love to know.

Hi Blues Fan,
I've since returned the unlocked for the T-Mo version, and then returned that for a Galaxy s7 Edge. But YES, the wifi calling does actually work -- FROM the phone. Just the settings are hidden!! NO third party app is required. Just download the app and search for wifi calling. Then you can create the shortcut icon. You control the wifi calling from the icon, but it goes directly through your phone settings.

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
Hi Blues Fan,
I've since returned the unlocked for the T-Mo version, and then returned that for a Galaxy s7 Edge. But YES, the wifi calling does actually work -- FROM the phone. Just the settings are hidden!! NO third party app is required. Just download the app and search for wifi calling. Then you can create the shortcut icon. You control the wifi calling from the icon, but it goes directly through your phone settings.

Yep saw my old post bumped. I'm using that method to use wifi calling on the V20 right now.

What made you return the Tmobile V20 for an S7 Edge? What was it about the V20 you didn't like and favor the S7 Edge over? I still got my S7 Edge.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781