V20 Unlocked-"Mobile Services Manager" issue and pre installing unwanted games after factory reset

Kangda

Aug 20, 2016
Visit site
V20 Unlocked-"Mobile Services Manager" issue and pre installing unwanted games after factory reset

So I received my unlocked V20 (ordered from authorized B&H) the other day and set up my phone. All went smoothly. Last night, I needed to do a factory reset. Immediately after the factory reset, the phone restarted with preloaded games that were not there originally (and that I never installed). Games like Slotmania, Caesars Palace, Airstrike, and a few others. I looked up the issue and saw that something called "Mobile Services Manager" is likely the culprit. This is sometimes called by another name. This shows up under Apps when I click on show system apps. I also noticed the battery draining much quicker than before the factory reset. I cleared the cache and promptly disabled this app.

FWIW, I am using a T-Mobile sim in it.

A few details:

1. Mobile Services Manager still shows up under Lookout as an app having "access to my Phone." I changed the permission to not allow access of any kind. Any time I restart (regular turn on and off) the phone, the "access to Phone" is active again under permissions.

2. I factory reset twice to make sure that I hadn't done something wrong the first time around to somehow trigger this app. Sure enough, second factory reset, those same games were "pre installed" with this Mobile Services Manager existing under systems apps.

3, My spouse's TMobile V20 does not have this issue or app. Mine is the unlocked variant, and I am not understanding why this is happening.

4. Can't uninstall it under developer mode either.

I just received this phone on Tuesday. This was not an issue and did not happen when I initially set up. Why is this happening after a factory reset? How I can fix this problem?

Thanks for any advice.

Last edited:

Ryano89

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Re: V20 Unlocked--"Mobile Systems Manager" issue and pre installing unwanted games after factory res

Look for "DT Ignite" and disable it

Kangda

Aug 20, 2016
Visit site
Re: V20 Unlocked--"Mobile Systems Manager" issue and pre installing unwanted games after factory res

Look for "DT Ignite" and disable it

I had read that Mobile Services Manager is DT Ignite under another name. I think when I went under "modify system settings" and I had to turn off "allow write system settings" for Mobile Services Manager, I saw DT Ignite on that page as part of the address name. But DT Ignite isn't actually listed under my apps or under systems apps even. So at this point, all I can do is manually clear the cache, disable, remove all permissions, etc for Mobile Services Manager, which I assume is DT Ignite under another name.

Why is Mobile Services Manager/DT Ignite on my phone? Why is it on there after a factory reset? Is it dangerous or harmful? Is this a reason to return the unlocked and buy the T-Mobile carrier version instead?

Spouse says to just disable and all should be fine. That it is something LG must permit for the unlocked models and would happen with any factory reset eventually. But of course, I'm freaking out about this.

Hope to get some advice from the experts here! Thanks!

Last edited:

KwantemMekanik

Sep 28, 2016
Visit site

Google tells me this is the bloatware package installed by Verizon. Do a search and you will find discussion and tips about it.

Kangda

Aug 20, 2016
Visit site

Google tells me this is the bloatware package installed by Verizon. Do a search and you will find discussion and tips about it.

Weird since mine is the unlocked model, and I'm using a T-Mobile sim. Not Verizon. It only happened after I factory reset the device.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

I have the same variant. I noticed some games were automatically installed when I set up the phone.

Kangda

Aug 20, 2016
Visit site

I have the same variant. I noticed some games were automatically installed when I set up the phone.

Were your preinstalled games Caesars, Slotmania, Panda Pop, and a few others? Did you check under Apps (show Systems Apps) if you have Mobile Services Manager installed? It only shows up if you select "show Systems Apps". It doesn't show up under just Enabled or All Apps. Must select Show Systems Apps. It is a big battery drain. Much better after I disabled. But annoying that it is in there and not removable.

Last edited:

Ryano89

May 3, 2011
Visit site

Weird since mine is the unlocked model, and I'm using a T-Mobile sim. Not Verizon. It only happened after I factory reset the device.

DT Ignite's sole purpose is to allow third party apps to be installed on your phone.

KwantemMekanik

Sep 28, 2016
Visit site

... which tells me that you were not sold exactly what you thought you were getting.

Kangda

Aug 20, 2016
Visit site

Update: The Mobile Services Manager app (DT Ignite) bugged me enough to return the unlocked V20 from B&H and get the T-Mobile variant. The last thing I want is to have to worry about this annoying, intrusive app installing games without my permission. I noticed that even turning on and off the unlocked phone (not reset, just normal on and off) would reset some of the permissions for Mobile Services Manager/DT Ignite even after I disabled it. Grrrrrrr. This app is more than just a nuisance. It is a huge battery drain and needs to be eliminated. The unlocked version also doesn't have FM Radio or wi fi calling, which are big negatives.

Last edited:

anon(166548)

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site

I'm confused why LG would put extra stuff (some would call it bloat) on an unlocked phone, when that same stuff is not on branded phones (at least, it's not on my AT&T version, and it sounds like it's not on the T-Mobile version).

Or is the "unlocked" phone really the Verizon phone with most (but apparently not all) Verizon stuff removed?

Kangda

Aug 20, 2016
Visit site

I'm confused why LG would put extra stuff (some would call it bloat) on an unlocked phone, when that same stuff is not on branded phones (at least, it's not on my AT&T version, and it sounds like it's not on the T-Mobile version).

Or is the "unlocked" phone really the Verizon phone with most (but apparently not all) Verizon stuff removed?

Not sure, but I hope this bloatware isn't added on with future carrier updates!

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Re: V20 Unlocked-"Mobile Services Manager" issue and pre installing unwanted games after factory res

You might wish to check the games that were push installed in the playstore under my apps. If you see a 5 star rating under your name that you did not do you could have another problem entirely.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

They probably get money from the app providers

Kangda

Aug 20, 2016
Visit site

eao1991

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
Re: V20 Unlocked-"Mobile Services Manager" issue and pre installing unwanted games after factory res

Just had the pleasure of running into this app after putting my Verizon sim into the unlocked V20. I set up the phone without any sim in it and never saw it pop up. Once the sim went in the following day, it burned through 117MB of data since I had wifi off. In the end, it installed four apps. Two were from Amazon, one was called Investing, and the other was some App Search app. Total crap from LG.

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site

Just had the pleasure of running into this app after putting my Verizon sim into the unlocked V20. I set up the phone without any sim in it and never saw it pop up. Once the sim went in the following day, it burned through 117MB of data since I had wifi off. In the end, it installed four apps. Two were from Amazon, one was called Investing, and the other was some App Search app. Total crap from LG.

So u recommend not buying the unlocked one?

eao1991

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
So u recommend not buying the unlocked one?

Just because of this? I'd say no. It's annoying, but not a deal breaker. Verizon preloads Amazon apps with their regular models so those would've been included anyway. Verizon also pushes a few crap games onto their phones after a sim is inserted, but those were never installed to my V20. It was just limited to four apps.

However, one concern I do have in regards to the unlocked V20 is how quickly updates arrive. Ask anyone with an unlocked G5 (RS988) and they'll tell you that updates have been lacking. The carrier models have gotten more updates and are already on Nougat. When I last checked in on the G5, they were still on marshmallow and a couple of people even said they were on the July security patch. The carrier models were on the September or October patch prior to getting Nougat. I wasn't planning on getting the V20, but ran across a great deal on it that I couldn't pass up.

Kangda

Aug 20, 2016
Visit site

When I first set up my unlocked V20 wth my TMobile sim inserted in it before setup, I did not have MSM or any of the preloaded games installed. After I factory reset it twice, that is when MSM, the preloaded games and the fast draining battery materialized. I don't think it is T-Mobile sim related because of this, and also because my T-Mobile model with TMobile sim does not have MSM or these issues.