Should I upgrade to the V20

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
I need to get a new phone after experiencing the dreaded bootloop issue with the LG G4 and I'm considering getting a V20, but wanted to ask for advice first. i'm in the UK and the V20 hasn't been released here yet (if it ever will be since I don't think the V10 was either) so I will have to get it on import, but it seems like the phone to get (I don't like Samsung and like the replaceable battery and SD card expansion on the LGs).

The V20 comes with the latest version of Android right, Nougat? Will the V20 get the next version, Android O, when that comes out or is this likely to be it for the V20? I used to have Nexus phones and like the prospect of getting the latest version of Android as it can expand the lifetime of the phone. Although it took a while for my G4 to get its upgrade to Marshmallow it did come and that helped me decide to get that phone.

Lastly, the other option would be to get a V10. Is the V20 a huge improvement on the V10, or at least enough of an improvement to make it worthwhile paying the extra money to get it? I think it would be about £200/$250 more for a V20 over the V10.

Any comments and advice would be much appreciated,

Thanks,

Matt

jpprice14

Sep 11, 2016
Visit site
I love my V20. This is my first LG smartphone. I had been with Samsung since the S2. Returned my second N7 for this. Sorry I can't help much. Never experienced anything other than Samsung in years. Consider this a free bump. Lol I would Pay the extra for the V20 though. I wouldn't buy an older phone when you'll just want to upgrade it.

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the comment. The only real thing stopping me is it is a lot of money and if the V10 lasted me a year or two it might be worth it. It sounds like the V10 has issues though so it's looking as though the V20 is the best option, although I thought that when i bought my G4 about a year ago now. My only concern is that when you get a brand new phone that has only just come out you don't get the issues until a few months later, but I don't really have much choice.

LuvMusic

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
I upgraded from the V10 to the V20 and, from my perspective, the V20 provides a much improved user experience. Faster, smoother, lighter (the V10 was heavy) better integration of the improved DAC's. I love my V20! This is a case where the successor is better than the original.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I need to get a new phone after experiencing the dreaded bootloop issue with the LG G4 and I'm considering getting a V20, but wanted to ask for advice first. i'm in the UK and the V20 hasn't been released here yet (if it ever will be since I don't think the V10 was either) so I will have to get it on import, but it seems like the phone to get (I don't like Samsung and like the replaceable battery and SD card expansion on the LGs).

The V20 comes with the latest version of Android right, Nougat? Will the V20 get the next version, Android O, when that comes out or is this likely to be it for the V20? I used to have Nexus phones and like the prospect of getting the latest version of Android as it can expand the lifetime of the phone. Although it took a while for my G4 to get its upgrade to Marshmallow it did come and that helped me decide to get that phone.

Lastly, the other option would be to get a V10. Is the V20 a huge improvement on the V10, or at least enough of an improvement to make it worthwhile paying the extra money to get it? I think it would be about £200/$250 more for a V20 over the V10.

Thanks,

Matt

The 820 snapdragon will require support from Qualcomm to be able to run 8.0

Ntchwaidumela

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site

Thanks,

Matt

I traded my V10 for the V20 and I definitely made the right decision. The V10 is a great phone, but the V20 is so much better. IMHO

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
I have a new V10 and new V20s. The V10 is no slouch but the V20 is certainly an upgrade, especially concerning battery life and the display. The V10 is heavier and seems more durable but the V20 is just nice and its quite fast (my V10 isn't slow or laggy that I notice though).

To be honest I don't notice much difference is the audio and both phones sound very crisp and clear to me. Camera? They both do okay-to-good in my experience as I don't bother with the manual controls, I usually point and shoot.
789de461e0c2401ffe56c0997b79d6bf.jpg

I do really like the V20's wide angle lens, its fun:
71e7a14446629e5059e7f9b5e721065d.jpg

TNCattleDog

Dec 21, 2013
Visit site
I too upgraded from the G4 to V20 after having the bootloop issues with my first G4 and connection and freezing issues with my second G4. My wife also has the V10.

To me there is a huge difference between the G4 and V20 on many levels, particularly the camera and audio. Can't say much for battery but initially it has been better than the G4. Compared to my wife's V10, there is a lot of similarity and as far as outright cost savings I'd go with the V10 if you can find it for less than the V20, however, I have been reading about similar bootloop issues with the V10.

Didn't know about the Qualcomm issue as far as getting android O...facepalm.

David

jabtano

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
I came from a G6 edge plus. best trade up I have done as the V20 may not have that sharp eye candy. but it blows everything else away. this device is fast the camera is really good I'm not even going to tell you how music sounds with a good set of cans. I'm in no way disappointed in this purchase, if LG updates this device down the road, I'll be all in.

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
I too upgraded from the G4 to V20 after having the bootloop issues with my first G4 and connection and freezing issues with my second G4. My wife also has the V10.

To me there is a huge difference between the G4 and V20 on many levels, particularly the camera and audio. Can't say much for battery but initially it has been better than the G4. Compared to my wife's V10, there is a lot of similarity and as far as outright cost savings I'd go with the V10 if you can find it for less than the V20, however, I have been reading about similar bootloop issues with the V10.

Didn't know about the Qualcomm issue as far as getting android O...facepalm.

David

This is what is worrying me. Having done a bit more research I've seen that some V10 users are experiencing similar bootloop problems to the G4 and I'm wondering if the V20 will as well given time.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
This is what is worrying me. Having done a bit more research I've seen that some V10 users are experiencing similar bootloop problems to the G4 and I'm wondering if the V20 will as well given time.
Look at the release dates. By the time the G4 bootloop issue was discovered, the V10 was already designed and manufacturing started. So it's conceivable that it was a common issue that by now could have been fixed in the initial design.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
The G4 and V10 had the bootloop issue and LG fixed that issue with the G5 and V20 (hopefully). This phone is significantly better than the V10 in terms of quality and battery life. The V10 may end up boot looping. There's also no light bleed on the V20. Very big improvements, LG has really put in a lot of efforts and listened to the android community.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
The G4 and V10 had the bootloop issue and LG fixed that issue with the G5 and V20 (hopefully). This phone is significantly better than the V10 in terms of quality and battery life. The V10 may end up boot looping. There's also no light bleed on the V20. Very big improvements, LG has really put in a lot of efforts and listened to the android community.
While I certainly think the V20 is an upgrade the V10 is still a great phone. Yeah the battery life isn't as good and some devices have been affected by bootlooping (mine has not, keeping fingers crossed).

I would not be surprised if the V20 loses some battery life if it gets upgraded to Android Oreo or whatever they decide to call it.

Nostromo79

Mar 29, 2016
Visit site
I have the V10 and I was going to get the V20 one way or the other. I went through the Note7 fiasco; I had hoped to team the V20 and Note7. I'd recommend the V20 without hesitation. Best wishes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair