Fancy earbuds question

jmarkey77

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
It's late and I can't think of the name of the fancy earbuds we got. Question: Am I using them wrong? I mean they sound better but not $150 better. Like slightly better than $20 skull candy earbuds. I'm using google music and I understand compression could be the cause, is there a better source I can use?

I know I'm slightly hard of hearing in the mid range, I hear better upper and lower range but again just slightly better. Nothing that if I wasn't paying attention for would I have noticed.

Thoughts?

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
The sound quality is the current topic on this thread.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?t=739329

Basically it seems to come down to a couple issues. First, make sure you're using the tight sized rubber tips to fully seal your ears. Second, these seem to get better after about 24 hrs use to break them in. I haven't put that much time on mine yet to experience personally, but it seems to be the general consensus from those few that have.

Jax112

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
I'm with the OP don't see the big deal. I'm not an audiophile by any means and rarely listen to music mainly books and podcasts. I used them today as i just received them. They are much better than the $35 JBL ones I bought months ago but no way worth 150.00. I would prefer wireless because I always get the wire tangled on something.

jsk0703

Sep 17, 2016
Visit site
Better than stock earphones that comes standard with most phones. Not as good as other earphones in the same price range. I have a set of Pinnacle P1 earphones that cost $50 more but they blow away the B&o H3 by comparison. Not even close in my opinion, especially when plugged into the V20.

BB_Bmore

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
The sound quality is drastically affected by the phone either recognizing the headphones as normal or high impedance. When I first got them it would regularly show high impedance. Now it's maybe 1 out of 30 times I plug them in. They don't get nearly loud enough for me on normal mode but high impedance mode makes it to where I can't get nowhere near max volume. They get louder and sound much better. It sucks. I wish there was a way to force the dac to kick in.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
The sound quality is drastically affected by the phone either recognizing the headphones as normal or high impedance. When I first got them it would regularly show high impedance. Now it's maybe 1 out of 30 times I plug them in. They don't get nearly loud enough for me on normal mode but high impedance mode makes it to where I can't get nowhere near max volume. They get louder and sound much better. It sucks. I wish there was a way to force the dac to kick in.

The DAC is still utilized at normal

silkyms3

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
I've spent 10's of thousands on home hifi equipment over the years, but earbuds I just don't see any value in spending more than a 100 or so unless your profession requires them. Haven't received the B&Os yet, but just bought and returned $400 buds and tried buddy's $1200 custom ones, and sure they sound better, but not significantly so to justify the price. Fit makes big difference in how they sound, but often the best sounding setup is not comfortable.

jmarkey77

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
The sound quality is the current topic on this thread.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?t=739329

Basically it seems to come down to a couple issues. First, make sure you're using the tight sized rubber tips to fully seal your ears. Second, these seem to get better after about 24 hrs use to break them in. I haven't put that much time on mine yet to experience personally, but it seems to be the general consensus from those few that have.
Thank you!

Brent Michael

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site

It has to do with the impedance of the headphones/earbuds. On the v20, "high impedance" starts at 50 ohms. The b&o h3's have an impedance of 18 ohms well below the 50 ohms required. The DAC is still utilized though.

talon1189

Oct 18, 2016
Visit site
It has to do with the impedance of the headphones/earbuds. On the v20, "high impedance" starts at 50 ohms. The b&o h3's have an impedance of 18 ohms well below the 50 ohms required. The DAC is still utilized though.
Where does it show "high impedance" or "normal mode" on the V20??

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Where does it show "high impedance" or "normal mode" on the V20??
When you have something plugged into the aux port, pull down the notification shade to view the quick settings. Press and hold the "Hi-Fi Quad DAC" button, which brings you to the DAC settings. That's where it'll tell you what it's sensing.

jmarkey77

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
When you have something plugged into the aux port, pull down the notification shade to view the quick settings. Press and hold the "Hi-Fi Quad DAC" button, which brings you to the DAC settings. That's where it'll tell you what it's sensing.
Mine says "Normal audio device" at the top, is that where I should see it?