Very Slow V20 - Looking for Suggestions

deosculate

May 21, 2011
Visit site
I'll try and spare a long history. I started with Android on the original Droid. Because I'm on the phone all day, it simply wasn't reliable and I switched to an iPhone 4 and have been in the Apple ecosystem ever since. I'm fully engulfed in the ecosystem.

I bought the V20 on launch day and I want to love this phone. It's fantastic and the features, ease of use of Android, managing calls, etc is everything I want in a phone. iOS 10 drove me away.

My problem is that this thing is fast and smooth at random times, then lags and stutters the rest of the day. I can't find a single process monitor that works with Android N to where I can see the individual processes, but I can see that my RAM usage is high and CPU will stay around 50% for very long periods of time.

I'm not running anything out of the ordinary. Using Nova launcher and a normal suite of apps. I haven't tried a restore yet but will if there's hope.

I'm sure this is more of an "Android" question than specific to the V20, but I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced the same problem on the V20 or has suggestions.

Truth be told, I've ordered an iPhone 7 Plus and it was delivered yesterday. I'm debating on if I should return it and am giving it a last ditch effort to see if anyone has experienced the same thing.

Thanks in advance.

ajb1965

Trusted Member
Jun 14, 2014
Visit site
These are basic steps, but you mentioned you've been on iOS for a while. Have you cleared the cache? Go to Settings/Smart Cleaning and delete the temporary and raw files. Also, press the square recent apps button and clear all. I haven't experienced the performance degradation that you've experienced, but those are general Android housekeeping steps that have to be done every so often.

I have experienced lag when I'm on crappy WiFi and Google Play decides it's time to update, or some other network intensive task is occurring, but for the most part I've been lag and stutter free, which is pretty surprising.

SaltGuy

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
These are basic steps, but you mentioned you've been on iOS for a while. Have you cleared the cache? Go to Settings/Smart Cleaning and delete the temporary and raw files. Also, press the square recent apps button and clear all. I haven't experienced the performance degradation that you've experienced, but those are general Android housekeeping steps that have to be done every so often.

I have experienced lag when I'm on crappy WiFi and Google Play decides it's time to update, or some other network intensive task is occurring, but for the most part I've been lag and stutter free, which is pretty surprising.

I'd have to agree with this. Really haven't had any issues.

Occasionally after setting up new apps, I might see a slight delay, But I just clear cache and restart phone and it goes smooth again.

deosculate

May 21, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the responses. I've cleared cache, restarted, etc but still experience the same problem. I'll give it a restore and hope for the best. I can't seem to find anything else online about slowness (other than occasional network slowness) so I'll chalk it up to being unique to me. :(

TheMarcus

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
I have the same issues. Phone runs great most of the time, but sometimes it becomes nearly unusable for no apparent reason. I clear apps, I clear cache. It just happens. =(

talon1189

Oct 18, 2016
Visit site
We all paid BIG MONEY for our new smart phones.... We need to all stand together. This forum is all about that and helping others...

sswitzer

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
I use Nova and everything is great. Aside from what was mentioned before:
- try avoiding any of the lg "smart" settings... they're just more things for your phone to occupy itself with
- check out anything that will involve synching, such as weather, cloud services, note services, email, contacts, photos, etc. Reduce these to what you absolutely need.
- disable Facebook... their mobile site works great and won't take over your phone
- perhaps try out not using your SD card, in case it has issues... I believe there are apps to analyse SD cards
- cut out any widgets you don't need... again, just more background processes for usually no good purpose
- try running in safe mode to see if an app you installed is causing issues

ajb1965

Trusted Member
Jun 14, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the responses. I've cleared cache, restarted, etc but still experience the same problem. I'll give it a restore and hope for the best. I can't seem to find anything else online about slowness (other than occasional network slowness) so I'll chalk it up to being unique to me. :(
I would suggest doing a full factory reset, and if that doesn't work take the matter up with your carrier or LG. You may have a lemon. Are you still within your return window?

TheMarcus

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
I would suggest doing a full factory reset, and if that doesn't work take the matter up with your carrier or LG. You may have a lemon. Are you still within your return window?
When you do a factory reset, everything works buttery smooth. It's a week or two later that things start to slow down. Always.

TNCattleDog

Dec 21, 2013
Visit site
Most likely a bad or slow SD card. I've had that problem before on several phones and either removing or swapping out the SD card made a big difference.

David

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
I've been using Nova since day one. Both my V20s are as smooth as butter, but I disable so much there's no reason for the phones not to be smooth and everyone shouldn't have to do that. ...but I wonder if a renegade app or something is causing the issue. As mentioned before, it could be a bad SD card and that's easy to test.

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
Get rid of the NOVA launcher. For whatever reason that launcher IS HORRIBLE on this phone. I have the paid Nova and used it on my Note 7 no issues but it lags bad on the V20. So far my favorite fastest and most customizable launcher that I LOVE is the Buzz Launcher. Very fast, pure cleanliness, ease of use and full customization options. The NOVA really kills the V20 for some unknown reason.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Get rid of the NOVA launcher. For whatever reason that launcher IS HORRIBLE on this phone. I have the paid Nova and used it on my Note 7 no issues but it lags bad on the V20. So far my favorite fastest and most customizable launcher that I LOVE is the Buzz Launcher. Very fast, pure cleanliness, ease of use and full customization options. The NOVA really kills the V20 for some unknown reason.

Using Nova for quite some time and no issues. Buzz launcher is horrid, but good if you are into making weird uncommon UIs.

sswitzer

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
I installed Nova & double tapping on the screen does no longer wake or put off the phone. What about you?
Same thing with another third party launcher like Apex
Nope, no problem with that. That's outside of what the launcher does... I suspect a phone lock screen setting.

EDIT: the launcher does double tap off, the lg software does double tap on. Please read one of the other v20 nova threads for more help on double tap off and FPS. https://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?t=742162

Last edited:

Brent Michael

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
I installed Nova & double tapping on the screen does no longer wake or put off the phone. What about you?
Same thing with another third party launcher like Apex

I'm running nova launcher beta and have no issues other than the occasional hiccup that come with beta versions. Double tap to wake still works fine but double tap to lock doesn't work due to it not being stock launcher as well as I have gestures set up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress