Jeremiah Bonds

Trusted Member
Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
Has anyone tampered with this function?

Joe Hindy from Android Authority tweeted about his frustration about Facebook continually running in the background no matter what he does and I mentioned data saver. He was surprised that he didn't think of it... But actually never tried it. Haha does anyone use this?

sswitzer

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
Has anyone tampered with this function?

Joe Hindy from Android Authority tweeted about his frustration about Facebook continually running in the background no matter what he does and I mentioned data saver. He was surprised that he didn't think of it... But actually never tried it. Haha does anyone use this?
In Chrome or a phone setting? I used to use that Chrome setting, but found some site functionality a bit buggy (it was so long ago, I don't remember what the issue was!) I do remember that my stats said was saving a minimal amount of data.

Last edited:

Jeremiah Bonds

Trusted Member
Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
In Chrome or a phone setting? I used to use that Chrome setting, but found some site functionality a bit buggy (it was so long ago, I don't remember what the issue was!) I do remember that my stats said was saving a minimal amount of data.

In the phone settings.

Attachments

• 58073.jpg
    58073.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 66

Jeremiah Bonds

Trusted Member
Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
Aha... So what has been your experience with it?
Just flipped the switch on last night before I went to sleep.. Will let you know. Since I don't see anything onlone about it I'm just checking it out. I have unlimited data. But I did install Facebook and will see if it suppresses some of the battery usage.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I just flipped it on and got a pop up saying background data will be restricted. Curious if it's all background data, which can hinder some apps I'd want to update in the background.

EDIT: That didn't last long. It killed my weather widget from updating, so I turned the data saver off.

Last edited:

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site
I don't use it but you can pick apps to have unrestricted access even if data saver is turned on.
9cd74dc1f6c954c4a18870388467df13.jpg
b0ad426996dbc4fed429b2c4f42afcdb.jpg
55d5ca16807233b777e43a29d35a9b32.jpg

Jeremiah Bonds

Trusted Member
Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
My weather widget sync is set to update every hour, so that doesn't bother me.. It will just update whenever the screen is on... but you can set apps that you don't want restricted, which is pretty cool.

I did a bit of tampering with the setting of my phone last night just to test the array of setting capabilities that we have. Data Saver was just one that was a "big deal" with Nougat but I don't really see anyone talking about it.

TheMarcus

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
I use it. Went ahead and went through the list of apps to make sure I had important apps with unlimited background use and other ones restricted.

TheMarcus

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
what kind of battery life do you get with restricting unwanted apps in the background?
Honestly, no difference. I was hoping it would improve, but I seem to get the same sort of battery life. Maybe the apps I allow are the ones that take a biggest toll on my battery. It's the same way if I uninstall Facebook. Tried that once, didn't notice any improvement so I keep it installed.

Jeremiah Bonds

Trusted Member
Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
Honestly, no difference. I was hoping it would improve, but I seem to get the same sort of battery life. Maybe the apps I allow are the ones that take a biggest toll on my battery. It's the same way if I uninstall Facebook. Tried that once, didn't notice any improvement so I keep it installed.
I've seen that with Facebook.. Some of the wrapper apps use just as much as fb. I'm surprised that it's only using 1 percent of my battery right now though.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I don't use it on my phones but that is due to me having unlimited. Even without unlimited I am not sure I would really use it. I would just restrict background data on big apps but I could never turn my syncing off or anything. I like that to be in real time.

Jeremiah Bonds

Trusted Member
Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
I don't use it on my phones but that is due to me having unlimited. Even without unlimited I am not sure I would really use it. I would just restrict background data on big apps but I could never turn my syncing off or anything. I like that to be in real time.

it doesn't necessarily turn off sync, but I see what you mean. Tried it yesterday, was fine with a light use day. But it's off today

Jeremiah Bonds

Trusted Member
Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
There was a new Google now feature that I accepted the other day, for better traffic notifications I guess.. And last night I realized it turned on my location reporting.. Which I think is why Google Services was so high on my battery list yesterday... So I'm thinking about retrying this on a later day to see if I get different results now.

sswitzer

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
There was a new Google now feature that I accepted the other day, for better traffic notifications I guess.. And last night I realized it turned on my location reporting.. Which I think is why Google Services was so high on my battery list yesterday... So I'm thinking about retrying this on a later day to see if I get different results now.
I have that enabled (traffic notifications), haven't seen any great battery loss as a result... but it may depend on your GPS, signal, etc.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
teapotsax