Left my flashlight on for 10 hours and no cracked lens

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
As the title states I left my flashlight on for a least ten hours because it was on when I woke up. No cracked lens and neither the lens nor LED was hot. There is a small chance it was only on for 3 hrs because of an earlier accidental alarm I dismissed but I doubt it. Even still more than enough time to dispell the theory that leaving the LED flashlight for extended periods may crack the lens.

Last edited:

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
It just shows just how 1 exaggerated claim of this type can be blown out of proportion causing some paranoia 😈

Well it was a speculation as the potential root cause in certain cases because of the way it shattered around the LED but I'm happy to debunk that theory. I would not have attempted it deliberately. Must have knocked it on accidentally from the second screen when I went to bed. I usually swipe it out of the way so as not to activate it.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
There's a little difference between 'theory' (your first post) and 'speculation' (your second one). A theory has sufficient data to back it up that it would be a bit foolish to not accept it. Speculation is normally wrong. They're kind of opposite.

The "leaving the LED on for hours cracks the lens" thing is speculation. If it's a high-intensity LED, and the lens isn't designed to withstand that kind of heat (which is very foolish - it saves the manufacturer a few cents per phone), it may crack the lens. But properly designed phones will run out of battery before that happens (even if the phone is plugged into a charger).

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
There's a little difference between 'theory' (your first post) and 'speculation' (your second one). A theory has sufficient data to back it up that it would be a bit foolish to not accept it. Speculation is normally wrong. They're kind of opposite.

The "leaving the LED on for hours cracks the lens" thing is speculation. If it's a high-intensity LED, and the lens isn't designed to withstand that kind of heat (which is very foolish - it saves the manufacturer a few cents per phone), it may crack the lens. But properly designed phones will run out of battery before that happens (even if the phone is plugged into a charger).

You are referring to scientific theory which is quite different from speculative theory but who cares. The point is I have disproved that living the LED on for an extended period of time cracks the lens.

TNCattleDog

Dec 21, 2013
Visit site
Does the OIS or auto-focus cause the lens to move? Was just wondering because of all the pics of damaged glass I've seen, it looks like the worst part is over the main camera lens. Just wondering...

Would make sense i the camera was activated in someones pocket and was continually trying to focus. Seems like a lot of the complaints are if it was in a pocke, in a pocket book, or placed back side down on a table.

David

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Does the OIS or auto-focus cause the lens to move? Was just wondering because of all the pics of damaged glass I've seen, it looks like the worst part is over the main camera lens. Just wondering...

Would make sense i the camera was activated in someones pocket and was continually trying to focus. Seems like a lot of the complaints are if it was in a pocke, in a pocket book, or placed back side down on a table.

David

If it did it does not affect the glass over the lens

jdfry15

Trusted Member
Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
Dropped mine pretty good for the first time today from waist height on my tile floor. Hit the top corner. No damage no marks or anything. I was sure the screen was cracked when I went to pick it up.

SupraLB

Oct 28, 2015
Visit site
Yeah, if camera breakage was really a major issue, all those demos in stores wouldn't last a day. Those things are dropped dozens of times per day in best buys and verizon stores. All attached to that cord with kids playing with them.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I'm sure it can break but my main point was that I disproved the notion that leaving the LEDs on will crack the glass.

SupraLB

Oct 28, 2015
Visit site
I'm sure it can break but my main point was that I disproved the notion that leaving the LEDs on will crack the glass.

If it were to be the LED light warming the glass up to cause the breakage, it would probably also require some pressure on the glass case to eventually cause the shatter.

If you could for us, let it stay on tonight again, but then press on the glass with your fingers to see if it shatters. Maybe try a light drop as well.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
If it were to be the LED light warming the glass up to cause the breakage, it would probably also require some pressure on the glass case to eventually cause the shatter.

If you could for us, let it stay on tonight again, but then press on the glass with your fingers to see if it shatters. Maybe try a light drop as well.

Haha.... Yeah I'll do that just for you.

The glass never got warm.... Neither did the light

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
It would not require pressure if heating the glass caused expansion enough to crack it within the confines of the frame.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463