So, Lets Talk Headphones - Bluetooth Aptx-HD vs High Impedance Wired

TNCattleDog

Dec 21, 2013
Visit site
So, we all know that the V20 has some pretty impressive audio capability - if it is used in the right way. I realize that there are lots of posts discussing the DAC, Bluetooth headsets, B&O buds and several others but I want to try to get real world impressions of which works and sounds best.

The phone is capable of APTX-HD, so paired with bluetooth headphones (that use their own built in DAC), such as the LG Tone Platinum, you should get pretty good sound. And, the phone has its own impressive built in DAC that is capable of good sound when paired with wired headphones or earbuds that are "High Impedance" or <50 ohm.

Have any of you compared the two? Bluetooth vs wired

What are your recommendations for a cost effective solution in both the bluetooth and wired category.

I currently have the B&O, LG Tone HBS 700 series, and my son's wired Beats over the ears, none of which trigger the high impedance, or in the case of the bluetooth, utilize the aptx HD.

Lets discuss...

Thanks,

David

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
So, we all know that the V20 has some pretty impressive audio capability - if it is used in the right way. I realize that there are lots of posts discussing the DAC, Bluetooth headsets, B&O buds and several others but I want to try to get real world impressions of which works and sounds best.

The phone is capable of APTX-HD, so paired with bluetooth headphones (that use their own built in DAC), such as the LG Tone Platinum, you should get pretty good sound. And, the phone has its own impressive built in DAC that is capable of good sound when paired with wired headphones or earbuds that are "High Impedance" or <50 ohm.

What are your recommendations for a cost effective solution in both the bluetooth and wired category.

I currently have the B&O, LG Tone HBS 700 series, and my son's wired Beats over the ears, none of which trigger the high impedance, or in the case of the bluetooth, utilize the aptx HD.

Lets discuss...

Thanks,

David

The DAC works without High Impedance headphones. The output level is different of course but you still taking advantage of the DAC

irvine752

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site

Lets discuss...

Thanks,

David

I have to agree...the audio capabilities of this phone are extremely under rated. This phone clearly out performs some of the best dedicated DAPs out on the market. The average cost of some these DAPs being around $900 which in itself is a great cost saving opportunity for the consumer plus the great portability that comes with a phone (all in one device). Also keep in mind that the North American version of the phone was not tuned by B&O, so I suspect the Asian market (Korean version) actually has better sound stage separation with that B&O sound signature.

When it comes to looking for specific headphones...you have to give us a little more background. Are you looking for something stationary (work / home) or active (travel / jogging) ? High impedance on this phone is also rated as something higher not less than 50 ohms.

There's also a strong dependency on the quality of files you plan on playing. AptX HD offers great portability, a step up above the original AptX (16 bit vs 24 bit) & more headphones manufacturers (NAIM, Audio Technica, & etc) are starting to support the codec, but the codec is technically lossy (non-destructive predictive analysis) & adds to the SNR.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
That is the first I'm hearing that the North American version is tuned differently. I know it doesn't have the B&O play software but that's the only difference I'm aware of.

irvine752

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
That is the first I'm hearing that the North American version is tuned differently. I know it doesn't have the B&O play software but that's the only difference I'm aware of.

Most importantly the connectivity Bands are slightly different. Depending on your carrier you could lose access to LTE & other features if you use the F800 (Korean version of the V20).

irvine752

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
You lost me.... I'm using the Verizon version

I'm sure the hardware package across all the carriers is about the same besides the chipset that's pre-programmed to match the carrier bands. There might be some slight variations with the software packages each carrier offers.

Just like how you cannot take your Verizon phone & use it on the AT&T network. You also cannot use an international phone such as the F800 V20 & use it on American carrier bands unless the connectivity Bands are matching. I hope this helps without getting into too much detail.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I'm sure the hardware package across all the carriers is about the same besides the chipset that's pre-programmed to match the carrier bands. There might be some slight variations with the software packages each carrier offers.

Just like how you cannot take your Verizon phone & use it on the AT&T network. You also cannot use an international phone such as the F800 V20 & use it on American carrier bands unless the connectivity Bands are matching. I hope this helps without getting into too much detail.

You lost me because I don't understand what that has to do with the lack of B&O play or differences in th DAC

chazglenn3

Trusted Member
May 23, 2010
Visit site
To reply to the OP, I use a pair of Sony Bluetooth noise cancelling over the ear cans that support AptX. They sound great wirelessly and are high impedance when wired.

irvine752

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
You lost me because I don't understand what that has to do with the lack of B&O play or differences in th DAC

Oh...I mis-read your post. I guess I was trying not to miss a play with Sunday football playing right now. :) Anyway, as far as the DAC is concerned it might be just a software addition, but I wouldn't be surprised if they also added a DSP like on G5 HiFi module or even if they used the very same chipset for the F800 model. That would better explain why all the other model sets don't have the enhancement since that same chipset had issues with the FCC regulations.

ajb1965

Trusted Member
Jun 14, 2014
Visit site
I have the Tone Infinum, and I wear them daily. They sound really good for Bluetooth. I'd be interested to know how much better the Platinum sound on the V20. Does the newer CODEC make that much difference?

ericrangel76

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I have the Tone Platinums and my wife has the Tone Infinums. I feel the platinums sound a little bit better but they are not as loud as the Infinums. When it comes to sound, there is not a huge difference between the two. The platinums definitely have a better build quality.

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Do you know the name/model number of them? Thank you

My Sony cans are very similar to those but those look like a newer model. Mine are MDRZX770DC bought them at Costco.

They're the MDR-1ABT. I got a great deal last year for Xmas on them so I got them over the MDR-1A's I had originally auditioned at B&H store.

....but they can't sound as good as wired

Perhaps and if you're a snobbish audiophile but l'll tell you this.....I auditioned A LOT of wired headphones for 2 weeks and these MDR-1ABT's are ridiculously good for being wireless! I bought these because I read a few reviews in Head-fi.org from a few owners who had both the 1A's and the 1ABT's stating that they sounded just as good as the wired 1A's I wanted to get. I bought them with the intent to return them if they didn't sound good to my ears but damn, I was so impressed with their sound as soon as I tried them on! Now all I need is a Sony player so I can take advantage of the LDAC codec which is suppose to be better then aptX for even better sound over BT! Don't knock it till you try it is what I'm telling you.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
They're the MDR-1ABT. I got a great deal last year for Xmas on them so I got them over the MDR-1A's I had originally auditioned at B&H store.

Perhaps and if you're a snobbish audiophile but l'll tell you this.....I auditioned A LOT of wired headphones for 2 weeks and these MDR-1ABT's are ridiculously good for being wireless! I bought these because I read a few reviews in Head-fi.org from a few owners who had both the 1A's and the 1ABT's stating that they sounded just as good as the wired 1A's I wanted to get. I bought them with the intent to return them if they didn't sound good to my ears but damn, I was so impressed with their sound as soon as I tried them on! Now all I need is a Sony player so I can take advantage of the LDAC codec which is suppose to be better then aptX for even better sound over BT! Don't knock it till you try it is what I'm telling you.

Well I to be able to take advantage of the DAC which makes my inexpensive Sony headphones sound great compared to the way they did on the G5

chazglenn3

Trusted Member
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Those MDR-1ABT cans look great. The specs are close enough to my MDR-ZX770DC that I will stay with them, plus I also get noise cancelling for when flying.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuckm