Gmail notifications slow/late

Kangda

Aug 20, 2016
Visit site
I don't think this issue is because of my V20 specifically, but my Gmail notifications just don't come through right away. If I open up my Gmail app, I see all the new emails. My Gmail notifications come in later or not at all sometimes. And this isn't just overnight while in Doze. Is this happening to others?

AtTheHop

Nov 20, 2016
Visit site
I don't think this issue is because of my V20 specifically, but my Gmail notifications just don't come through right away. If I open up my Gmail app, I see all the new emails. My Gmail notifications come in later or not at all sometimes. And this isn't just overnight while in Doze. Is this happening to others?

I do not allow my email apps to automatically update, its a real battery drainer. I just open the app and refresh it. If someone needs to contact me they either call or text. eMail it too old school. Plus why would I want to be notified I have spam.

pinkvikchick

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site

I like to have mine pushed when they're sent (I am fortunate, my battery has been outstanding) but in the last few days, (maybe a week???) I have noticed that I've had to go and manually retrieve them.

I get more than spam or personal emails so just getting texts or calls won't work for some of us.

Jeremiah Bonds

Trusted Member
Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
I noticed that a bit. When I install a third party app that doesn't happen. I tried uninstalling those apps, and Gmail is hit or miss.. I never liked the app much to begin with.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I do not allow my email apps to automatically update, its a real battery drainer. I just open the app and refresh it. If someone needs to contact me they either call or text. eMail it too old school. Plus why would I want to be notified I have spam.

I leave all my syncs on so they sync in real time and haven't noticed any big battery hit on pretty much any phone I have used.

X1tymez

Q&A Team
Mar 27, 2016
Visit site
Move to another email apps if you can. Both Gmail and Inbox hit n miss on notifications. I tired for couple days and gave up.

Give Outlooks a try. They really push lol.

md308

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I can definitely confirm it not just Gmail or the app. I still have my Nexus 6 that I switched my number from when I got my V20. I have noticed from day one, and it has been consistent since, that I will get Gmail notification on the N6, and it is anywhere from 5-15 min later that it finally comes through on the V20. Even when working on my laptop and I send myself an email, the N6 is almost immediate to notify, but not the V20...:mad:

Kujoja

Nov 1, 2016
Visit site
I have the same issue, but only recently (last 1-2 weeks). I can even see a delay when I access my gmail account on Chrome on my PC, so I just blamed the Google servers.

skeptic25

Nov 22, 2016
Visit site
I have the issue as well. I have 3 email accounts registered under the Gmail app. 1 is my Gmail and 2 are AOL accounts. The Gmail gets pushed immediately no problem. The 2 AOL accounts are set to sync every 15 minutes but only 1 of the AOL accounts gets notifications. The other never gets them. I need to open the app to retrieve.

SaltGuy

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
I like to have mine pushed when they're sent (I am fortunate, my battery has been outstanding) but in the last few days, (maybe a week???) I have noticed that I've had to go and manually retrieve them.

I get more than spam or personal emails so just getting texts or calls won't work for some of us.

Same here. Last few days. Actually its since the last gmail app update which was the 13th of this month for me??? It originally worked fine so this has been a recent thing.

pinkvikchick

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
Same here. Last few days. Actually its since the last gmail app update which was the 13th of this month for me??? It originally worked fine so this has been a recent thing.

My phone froze (does this about once or twice every month) and when I put the battery back in, two weeks of notifications came in for the next 15 minutes. Maybe try that? I wasn't getting ANY notifications from ANY app. Guess I have to restart this LG once in a while.

SaltGuy

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
My phone froze (does this about once or twice every month) and when I put the battery back in, two weeks of notifications came in for the next 15 minutes. Maybe try that? I wasn't getting ANY notifications from ANY app. Guess I have to restart this LG once in a while.

I will give this a try. Thanks for the suggestion.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I can definitely confirm it not just Gmail or the app. I still have my Nexus 6 that I switched my number from when I got my V20. I have noticed from day one, and it has been consistent since, that I will get Gmail notification on the N6, and it is anywhere from 5-15 min later that it finally comes through on the V20. Even when working on my laptop and I send myself an email, the N6 is almost immediate to notify, but not the V20...:mad:
Try shutting off battery optimization for gmail.