S7 Edge vs LG V20: Which phone has a better camera?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
No... Just unplanned life moments
And that's most people. What does iPhone advertise? Camera..Pixel? Camera. Hell.. even the V20 commercials... Camera. That's the main drive for most. Definitely not every single person but the majority? Yep.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
And that's most people. What does iPhone advertise? Camera..Pixel? Camera. Hell.. even the V20 commercials... Camera. That's the main drive for most. Definitely not every single person but the majority? Yep.

And most people who use cell phones to take pictures aren't that critical of the shots or know about the differences in cameras between cell phones. They usually buy an IPhone or a Galaxy and don't hang out in forums. I would never buy an S7 over a V20 for the differences in camera and I'm sure I'm in the minority.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
And most people who use cell phones to take pictures aren't that critical of the shots or know about the differences in cameras between cell phones. They usually buy an IPhone or a Galaxy and don't hang out in forums. I would never buy an S7 over a V20 for the differences in camera and I'm sure I'm in the minority.

Yep :).

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
There's a select group of phones out there that can do a job taking the vast majority of the kinds of pictures people take. They don't need to zoom, or play with depth of field, etc. They just need a good picture.

Phones like the S7, V20, Pixel, they can take great pictures and in the hands of most people, a DSLR would not give them a picture that is appreciably better. Hell, in some cases, I can get a better shot out of something like my 6P because there is an extremely powerful processor crunching data for HDR+.

But back to the original question... Given those two, take the Samsung. Quality wise the two are close enough to not make a difference. But the S7 is an speed machine.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Hell, in some cases, I can get a better shot out of something like my 6P because there is an extremely powerful processor crunching data for HDR+.
The latest and greatest DSLRS have heavy duty processing for HDR along with bigger sensors and faster lenses so I doubt you 6P can compete because mine sure couldn't but we're off topic.

You can't go wrong with the any of the flagship phones. I went V20 because for me the audio was more important and the camera more than adequate.

farhanmohd

Jun 15, 2014
Visit site
So I kept both the phones for my trip to Singapore. Sadly, LG V20 slow focus system (specially during the night) disappointed me. S7 edge focuses real fast and accurate. Picture quality was also way superior during the dark.

farhanmohd

Jun 15, 2014
Visit site
Clark Quay Riverpoint Singapore

Attachments

• 1483415251122.jpg
    1483415251122.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 10
  • 1483415279263.jpg
    1483415279263.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 10
  • 1483415299502.jpg
    1483415299502.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 8
  • 1483415323947.jpg
    1483415323947.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 9

torbach1

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
I am going on a winter break for 10 days. i.e. I shall be traveling. I am confused which mobile to take for taking pictures. S7 edge or LG V20. I don't want to take both. Suggest one!

If you're taking pics in a rush, have to get photos of family spontaneously or similar, the S7 Edge is far better. Every single shot in auto mode is in focus a d very good. If you've got more time to take the shots, and are interested in wide angle photos, the V20 is better. It's manual mode is terrific and it gets great photos, just not every time.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
But back to the original question... Given those two, take the Samsung. Quality wise the two are close enough to not make a difference. But the S7 is an speed machine.

I agree, and would submit that for most people, most of their vacation "snapshots" are going to be best handled with the S7 camera module as opposed to a higher-resolution smaller-pixel camera.

Yes, if you hold it really still and are in bright daylight, other cameras (even the one on my old Note 4!) can outperform the S7e in terms of "size I can print this on canvas and show it at an art show". So if you are going on a landscape tour and the forecast is bright clear sun, the V20 is the device of choice. It will capture more detail because it's a technically superior camera. You'll get home with some stunning landscapes.

If your vacation includes activities in the evening, the possibility of indoor photos, or the possibility of taking photos of moving subjects (or photos from moving platforms such as a bus or car), take the S7. Your landscapes won't be quite as good, but all of your other photos are more likely to be useable and less likely to be a blurry mess of "where were we when this was taken? Is that little Jimmy or the dog? I can't tell..." LOL

A 16 mpix F1.8 camera is a beast of a camera, make no mistake, and will win hands-down in any professional photo contest. But a 12 mpix, F1.7 can collect a lot more light per pixel a lot faster, and 12 mpix is still a pretty darned good photo if you are in the realm of "snapshots" and not trying to compete with a DSLR which comes with its own issues (size, weight, tends not to be stuffed in a convenient pocket when that magic photo opportunity catches you by surprise...)

Last edited:

rhollinslewis

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
The V20's camera has been my only disappointment. I don't know how to shoot in manual mode (although I have a great DSLR that I only use it on auto :-\). The wide angle pics on the V20 with flash have a bluish cloud around the and the regular rear lens doesn't do well in low light and even in good light the pics look a bit blurred and washed out. I love a good camera on a phone but may have to go back to Samsung unless I can figure out how to get better pics on auto with this one. :-( From what I've seen of my friend's S7 shots, I think it has the better camera.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
NOTE: I've owned both phones. Currently using the V20. The S7 and S7 Edge has a better camera overall. The camera focuses much faster and the low light shots are much better. However, when you zoom in closely on a photo, you'll notice a loss in detail due to the 12MP camera. The V20 shoots much better when there is natural lighting (just like a DSLR) but is terrible at low light shots and can't focus as fast as the S7. However, the detail is much more crisp and clean. So it really depends on the lighting and situation, but the S7 is a better overall well rounder and the Samsung camera software is much more easier to use. However, the benifits and features of the V20 outweighs the S7 so I decided to keep the V20. I can post sample V20 images here if you want.

By the way, you can download the Google Pixel camera apk and use it on the V20. In certain situations, it is better to use that app instead (more simple auto mode).

djepperson1

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
NOTE: I've owned both phones. Currently using the V20. The S7 and S7 Edge has a better camera overall. The camera focuses much faster and the low light shots are much better. However, when you zoom in closely on a photo, you'll notice a loss in detail due to the 12MP camera. The V20 shoots much better when there is natural lighting (just like a DSLR) but is terrible at low light shots and can't focus as fast as the S7. However, the detail is much more crisp and clean. So it really depends on the lighting and situation, but the S7 is a better overall well rounder and the Samsung camera software is much more easier to use. However, the benifits and features of the V20 outweighs the S7 so I decided to keep the V20. I can post sample V20 images here if you want.

By the way, you can download the Google Pixel camera apk and use it on the V20. In certain situations, it is better to use that app instead (more simple auto mode).

I agree i owned both phones agree with your statement i ended up selling my s7 edge because overall the v20 is just a better phone in day to day use. After i got used to using manuel mode more i have taken some fantastic shots.

DamianP

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
My take away(and from my experience) the V20 is way too cool(color temp) and doesn't have enough dynamic range and has some weird bluish tinges in dark areas.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
It's subjective. If you look at YouTube comments everyone has a different opinion. They're all good cameras but it comes down to preference. I prefer the V20's sharper details.

milehigherik

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
I am going on a winter break for 10 days. i.e. I shall be traveling. I am confused which mobile to take for taking pictures. S7 edge or LG V20. I don't want to take both. Suggest one!

V20 takes the worst pictures. I've tried every setting in auto mode and any picture I take looks fine until I zoom in on it. My S3 took better pictures than this phone. I don't want to use manual mode to get "better" pictures. I wanna point and shoot. I regret selling my pixel XL now.

Brjlk

Apr 17, 2015
Visit site
V20 takes the worst pictures. I've tried every setting in auto mode and any picture I take looks fine until I zoom in on it. My S3 took better pictures than this phone. I don't want to use manual mode to get "better" pictures. I wanna point and shoot. I regret selling my pixel XL now.

I was also thinking like you about the effect of zooming on the camera. However when I look at the same pictures on a PC at 100% zoom, the same pictures are very detailed & sharp. Is the 100% zoom not the base for comparing pictures?
Try to view your pictures at 100% zoom on a PC to see for yourself.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital