S7 Edge vs LG V20: Which phone has a better camera?

farhanmohd

Jun 15, 2014
Visit site
I am going on a winter break for 10 days. i.e. I shall be traveling. I am confused which mobile to take for taking pictures. S7 edge or LG V20. I don't want to take both. Suggest one!

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
If you just want to use the automatic settings on your phone for the camera you may like the S7's results more. If you like to have an elite manual control experience the V20 would be my weapon of choice.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Pocketnow just rated the V20 as having the best camera in 2016.

lol, they're high but that's cool. The LG V20 camera is VERY capable and the ability to fine tune compositions with great manual controls is awesome. But the actual sensor falls short by a little ways compared to it's competitors. I think I saw part of that video - IIRC they ranked the best camera available on any phone as being in last place.

This may be just another subjective vs objective issue. If PocketNow means that they LIKE the V20 more, a salute... if they think their preferences overrule the rankings in terms of quality produced by the hardware and software as measured objectively, that isn't how it works.

The objective top 15 ranking of phone capabilities (ignoring irrelevant phones) is as follows:

#1 Google Pixel & Pixel XL
#2 HTC 10 & Samsung S7 Edge
#4 Moto Z Force & Sony XZ
#6 iPhone 7 (series) & LG G5
#8 LG V20
#9 iPhone 6s Plus, Nexus 6P & Moto Z
#12 LG G4 & Moto X Style
#14 iPhone 6 (series) & BlackBerry Priv

Everything on that list is a GREAT camera. Everything below that, could be capable but usually falls short in common conditions.

Jeremiah Bonds

Trusted Member
Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
Someone asked why they put the Pixel so low, the response was 'we actually used the phones' and I thought that was hilarious... They complained about the lens flares and the light flares they got from pics and videos on that phone.. The S7 was second though. But hey, to each his own is what I say. I have outshot a few of my friends and their devices.. With our subjective points of view.. We took the pics from our phones and looked at them together on the same computer screen and TV.. It's funny, they all say that mine was the best. Lol but, maybe we all were high.. And it could just be special cases..

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Someone asked why they put the Pixel so low, the response was 'we actually used the phones' and I thought that was hilarious... They complained about the lens flares and the light flares they got from pics and videos on that phone.. The S7 was second though. But hey, to each his own is what I say. I have outshot a few of my friends and their devices.. With our subjective points of view.. We took the pics from our phones and looked at them together on the same computer screen and TV.. It's funny, they all say that mine was the best. Lol but, maybe we all were high.. And it could just be special cases..

Not saying anything is wrong with anyone liking one thing over another - our eyes and brains aren't the equipment used to measure these things and when we look at photos, etc. the perception of the quality is the most important thing by far. Every camera can take better shots than any other camera, given a set of conditions that lend to its strengths.

Most of us, when we're taking photos, are not composing every shot exactly the same and then doing a detailed analysis of all aspects of the output. If you take a set of photos and honestly evaluate one as being better than another, that's not commentary on the cameras at all - it's commentary on your perceptions, preferences and ... just like we were talking about display quality, the important thing is to use the one that plays to your preferences. So 'to each their own' is exactly right.

RaRa85

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
lol, they're high but that's cool. The LG V20 camera is VERY capable and the ability to fine tune compositions with great manual controls is awesome. But the actual sensor falls short by a little ways compared to it's competitors. I think I saw part of that video - IIRC they ranked the best camera available on any phone as being in last place.

This may be just another subjective vs objective issue. If PocketNow means that they LIKE the V20 more, a salute... if they think their preferences overrule the rankings in terms of quality produced by the hardware and software as measured objectively, that isn't how it works.

The objective top 15 ranking of phone capabilities (ignoring irrelevant phones) is as follows:

#1 Google Pixel & Pixel XL
#2 HTC 10 & Samsung S7 Edge
#4 Moto Z Force & Sony XZ
#6 iPhone 7 (series) & LG G5
#8 LG V20
#9 iPhone 6s Plus, Nexus 6P & Moto Z
#12 LG G4 & Moto X Style
#14 iPhone 6 (series) & BlackBerry Priv

Everything on that list is a GREAT camera. Everything below that, could be capable but usually falls short in common conditions.
HTC 10? Have you heard anyone rave about the HTC 10's camera? I mean for the average Joe the V20 will not be the best camera but if you think the HTC 10 should be ranked higher I would highly question that. If you look at any comparison test against the top cameras,top being the Google Pixel, Samsung Galaxy S7, iPhone, the V20 is behind only in maybe some color temperature, slightly less sharp except in low light, dynamic range, and video stabilization in auto. And that's only in certain situations. And even then the margin of difference is so small that it would come down to personal preference in most situations. Look at some of Krystal Key's comparisons with the V20 and see how it stacks up. Even the V20 came second in a blind comparison only to the Google Pixel on Android Central's photo comparison earlier this year.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Former S7 owner:

S7 & S7 Edge: More "well- rounded", great auto mode. Easy to use interface. Photos are automatically enhanced so they look more colorful. VERY FAST autofocus for action shots thanks to dual pixel. Capable of taking great low light photos.

LG G5 & V20: More detail in photos (16MP vs 12MP). Laser auto focus automatically focuses when you point at an object. Less lens flare. Better at adjusting to light. Has wide angle camera. Better manual mode + better microphone for recording video.

My conclusion: S7 Edge for action shots of fast moving objects. Using automode more frequently and better for low light situations. V20 if you plan to use manual mode more often, capturing more high quality detailed photos. If you're planning to use the wide angle camera and recording video/audio. So it depends.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
HTC 10? Have you heard anyone rave about the HTC 10's camera? I mean for the average Joe the V20 will not be the best camera but if you think the HTC 10 should be ranked higher I would highly question that. If you look at any comparison test against the top cameras,top being the Google Pixel, Samsung Galaxy S7, iPhone, the V20 is behind only in maybe some color temperature, slightly less sharp except in low light, dynamic range, and video stabilization in auto. And that's only in certain situations. And even then the margin of difference is so small that it would come down to personal preference in most situations. Look at some of Krystal Key's comparisons with the V20 and see how it stacks up. Even the V20 came second in a blind comparison only to the Google Pixel on Android Central's photo comparison earlier this year.

On that ranking I'm talking about objective measurements. That's not commentary at all on what people like more. I honestly have no idea how users think the HTC 10 performs because I don't pay attention to that phone much and haven't heard a whole lot of chatter about it. I would fully agree that the differences between these cameras is minimal and that's why I said, "Everything on that list is a GREAT camera" and "Every camera can take better shots than any other camera, given a set of conditions that lend to its strengths" and " the important thing is to use the one that plays to your preferences".

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Video is an excellent point - if you're planning to record video and need good audio with it, the V20 takes the lead IMO. The V20 autofocus for video isn't rated as good as the S7 Edge, which is one of the best aspects of the S7 Edge, which is strong across the board (Autofocus, Low noise, Stabilization, etc) so silent video S7 Edge, but the audio, both input and output are night and day better on the V20.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I don't think anyone would be disappointed with either camera in auto mode, so I'd go for the V20 just to additionally have the full manual controls when wanted.

Guyinbox

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
If you're taking pictures of stationary objects I don't think you can go wrong with either one. If you're taking pictures of anything that may be subject to motion blur or low light situations (a bar or other dimly lit rooms) the s7e easily wins. It's really hard to get usable pictures of my kids with the v20 because by the time it actually focuses they've started to move again and it ends up blurry.

I have both phones btw and use the v20 as my daily because of the removable battery, storage, ir blaster and ridiculously good performance.

FutureMech

Feb 21, 2016
Visit site
S7E daylight photos are not impressive at all, i've shot more than 1000 and it's worse than Note 5, so V20 would be better, however if u taking macros, or some architure photos of buildings, S7 is much sharper and better.

Low light, s7e is the ultimate winner, specially due to super fast AF and ability to capture motion as well, V20 wide angle is ok but quality isn't great, another little bonus is that S7 can take underwater photos, creative minds can do amazing things :D

Today i use my Nikon camera as primary cam, and S7 as low light backup, on my vacation in Prague, it proved to be best combo.

ajb1965

Trusted Member
Jun 14, 2014
Visit site
When I'm out hiking and have the time to think about my shot, I get very good results with the V20 whether auto or manual. The wide angle makes for some great mountaintop shots. Having said that, if I happen upon wildlife or anything where a quick snap is required, I often find my photos lacking focus. This is where my S7E was superior. The quick snaps almost always turned out good, especially with moving objects.

Video hands down is better on the V20. There are just so many things you can do with that camera. Yes the stabilization is not as good as others, but the other features more than make up for in IMHO.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Unknown