Best VPN in Playstore?

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I would like to use a VPN only in open wifi networks. What is the best ones for our phone (in playstore). Wish we had wifi assistant like pixel.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Well, Opera has built-in VPN now, but don't think you can activate it just for open WiFi (you'd have to manually turn it on/off). I've used PureVPN with good results, but again, unless you have an automation app (Tasker, for instance) to open it and run it just for open WiFi, then you'd have to manually turn it on/off.

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site
Personally, I'd rather choose to connect to open Wi-Fi rather than have Google or any other company do it for me automatically.

I use PIA (Private Internet Access). I pay $31.95/year. Unlimited bandwidth, no cap, and most importantly, no logs. Plenty of servers to choose from. 5 devices at any given time. I currently have it installed on 2 phones, tablet, PC and Surface 3.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Personally, I'd rather choose to connect to open Wi-Fi rather than have Google or any other company do it for me automatically.

You can. You can tell WiFi assistant to work and do it .. Or simply tell it not to. That is your option ;).

It just helps people save on data because it connects to known / good open WiFi hotspots (not just any old hotspot that is open) and then tunnels it through a Google VPN to encrypt the data. It is a pretty good idea for those who want to save data without thinking much about it.

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site
You can. You can tell WiFi assistant to work and do it .. Or simply tell it not to. That is your option ;).

It just helps people save on data because it connects to known / good open WiFi hotspots (not just any old hotspot that is open) and then tunnels it through a Google VPN to encrypt the data. It is a pretty good idea for those who want to save data without thinking much about it.
And it's great they rolled that out initially to help save people money on Fi, then rolled out to all Nexus devices. And a Google VPN is definitely better than no VPN but the reality is it just provided them another way to funnel traffic to their servers and data mine it.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
And it's great they rolled that out initially to help save people money on Fi, then rolled out to all Nexus devices. And a Google VPN is definitely better than no VPN but the reality is it just provided them another way to funnel traffic to their servers and data mine it.

Where is proof they're data mining encrypted VPN traffic?

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site

I use PIA (Private Internet Access). I pay $31.95/year. Unlimited bandwidth, no cap, and most importantly, no logs. Plenty of servers to choose from. 5 devices at any given time. I currently have it installed on 2 phones, tablet, PC and Surface 3.
How does one sign up. for. PIA? Is it in playstore?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Where is proof they're data mining encrypted VPN traffic?

Well since no response I assume you didn't find any either (I tried to find some).

For those wondering about Google's they lay it out early here... https://support.google.com/nexus/answer/6327199?hl=en

To make open Wi-Fi networks safer, Wi-Fi assistant uses a virtual private network (VPN). The VPN protects your data from being seen by other users of the open network.

When a VPN is active, you’ll see a "Network may be monitored" message. Google monitors system data. When you're securely connected to a website (by HTTPS), VPN operators, like Google, can't record your content. Google uses system data sent through VPN connections to:

Provide and improve Wi-Fi assistant, including the virtual private network (VPN)
Monitor for abuse
Comply with applicable laws and regulations, or as required by court or government orders

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site
Well since no response I assume you didn't find any either (I tried to find some).

For those wondering about Google's they lay it out early here... https://support.google.com/nexus/answer/6327199?hl=en
No, I didn't look but no surprise that there isn't any info on it because that wouldn't be anything that they advertise. But let's not pretend their only motivation is security. Data is their bread and butter and the more traffic that flows thru their servers, the more data they accumulate.

Based on the info you posted I see nothing about their logging policy and since no logs is a big selling point for a VPN I'm going to assume they log until I see something that says they don't. To what extent they log could be scary as well. Logs = data.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
No, I didn't look but no surprise that there isn't any info on it because that wouldn't be anything that they advertise. But let's not pretend their only motivation is security. Data is their bread and butter and the more traffic that flows thru their servers, the more data they accumulate.

Based on the info you posted I see nothing about their logging policy and since no logs is a big selling point for a VPN I'm going to assume they log until I see something that says they don't. To what extent they log could be scary as well. Logs = data.

I am not pretending anything -- but I also am not going to spread random theories as facts when they aren't. If & when there are then I will revert my statement but I definitely don't count just on someones idea of what is happening. If that were the case it would be impossible to tell what is what.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I wish we all had the option to sign in to Google's free vpn.
I mean it is nice and tourbound has the right to be skeptical.. it's always good to worry about our data .. but it's a VPN like others. The downfall is it's only available on certain phones (Nexus and Pixel). Therefore it is more likely people will use other providers.

I recommend Private Internet Access since I have friends that use it and have for years. I don't use a VPN right now but if I had to choose.. I'd go with that I'm pretty sure. I did ask some of my teammates since some use others to weigh in their thoughts.. we will see if they post :).

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site
I am not pretending anything -- but I also am not going to spread random theories as facts when they aren't. If & when there are then I will revert my statement but I definitely don't count just on someones idea of what is happening. If that were the case it would be impossible to tell what is what.
I'm not spreading anything. Google is a data mining company. It's what they do. And logging anything, as little as the timestamp, is data. No random theory there. So until they come out and specifically state that they don't do any kind of logging then everyone should be skeptical. And for less than $3/month for PIA, it makes little sense to go with the unknown free option, even if it is Google.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I'm not spreading anything. Google is a data mining company. It's what they do. And logging anything, as little as the timestamp, is data. No random theory there. So until they come out and specifically state that they don't do any kind of logging then everyone should be skeptical. And for less than $3/month for PIA, it makes little sense to go with the unknown free option, even if it is Google.

And did I recommended PIA to him in another thread over in the Pixel area.. as well as here ;). I am not saying there is anything wrong with it but to say Google is "data mining" your data on a VPN is a very broad accusation with no proof. Their data collection they do is not the same on their VPN as it is for using their services like Gmail. They're pretty open on what they do / don't do with data. Jerry has written some fine articles about it :).

As I also stated above -- most here wouldn't use it as it is specific to two sets of phones, therefore, most will go with services. PIA is one I recommend since I trust my buddies.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
The only data I worry about is that which will allow identity theft or revelation of passwords or credit card info. I don't care if Google knows I like flashlights or where I live. or shop or browsing habits etc.

The trouble with PIA is it. costs money.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
The only data I worry about is that which will allow identity theft or revelation of passwords or credit card info. I don't care if Google knows I like flashlights or where I live. or shop or browsing habits etc.

The trouble with PIA is it. costs money.
True but it is pretty cheap :).

skeptic25

Nov 22, 2016
Visit site
I'm pretty sure I paid $25 for the entire year with PIA. Come on, $25 for peace of mind... If you're a youngin I can understand but seriously, we pay $600+ every year for a phone we most likely don't need assuming our old phone works fine.