lost the capture app/icon: how to recover

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
So, I wake up, the capture icon that I had in home buttons is gone.

I search around--the app seems gone, too.

Now, I confess I did uninstall a couple of things the other night, including an app included with the phone. I can't imagine that uninstalling Lookout got rid of the Capture app. But maybe something else included it. I am certain nothing said "capture app," or I wouldn't have touched it. Whether I did it or something just sorta happened--got me.

Any ideas on ....How I get it back?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Is that a shortcut to the camera or a screen-shot one, perhaps? Can't remember how to do it on the V20, but most likely you can tap and hold in an empty spot on the homescreen and add either a widget or a 'task'/action.

ABOSWORTH007

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Are you talking about the one in the notification tray? That's how I access it. I also have it so I can access it from the second screen. If you want it on your second screen, go into your settings and configure it. If you want it on the notification tray, you can pull down twice and click "edit" and add it there.

ABOSWORTH007

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Oh, you mean on the bottom next to the home, back and recent apps? You should be able to configure that in your home button settings, display, home touch buttons, button combination.

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
Oh, you mean on the bottom next to the home, back and recent apps? You should be able to configure that in your home button settings, display, home touch buttons, button combination.
Yes, and was able to...But now this screenshot app is no longer a choice. Not there.

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
Is that a shortcut to the camera or a screen-shot one, perhaps? Can't remember how to do it on the V20, but most likely you can tap and hold in an empty spot on the homescreen and add either a widget or a 'task'/action.
Screenshot. Not a widget...Goes into 2d screen or home buttons.

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
Check and see if you disabled the app QuickMemo. If yes, try enabling it and you should have the option back.

Aha. I think that was the LG app I uninstalled. Um, but now how do I get it back? I saw some things in play store that looked similar, but they didn't seem to help. Checked the Smart World app--didn't help.

ABOSWORTH007

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Aha. I think that was the LG app I uninstalled. Um, but now how do I get it back? I saw some things in play store that looked similar, but they didn't seem to help. Checked the Smart World app--didn't help.

You can't actually uninstall it because it's a system app. At least I can't on mine. Do this. Go to settings, Apps and then at the top of the screen there is a little drop down. Select disabled apps. Scroll down and you should see it in there. Once you find it, just click on it and hit enable.

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
You can't actually uninstall it because it's a system app. At least I can't on mine. Do this. Go to settings, Apps and then at the top of the screen there is a little drop down. Select disabled apps. Scroll down and you should see it in there. Once you find it, just click on it and hit enable.
Good thought, and I would have agreed with that, but that was the first thing I checked. The only disabled app I see is Lookout. In my enabled apps, I see nothing on there ....LG or quick memo or memo.

Kinda stumped.

ABOSWORTH007

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Good thought, and I would have agreed with that, but that was the first thing I checked. The only disabled app I see is Lookout. In my enabled apps, I see nothing on there ....LG or quick memo or memo.

Kinda stumped.
That's strange. Do you have a carrier variant or is it an unlocked version? Not sure how you'd get that app back if you in installed it. Maybe a factory reset?

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
Finally. I searched around some more. I did in fact uninstall it. But here is how LG lets you get it back: you go to settings, about phone, and then app updates, and it gives you all the things LG installed for you. It let me redownload quick memo...Done. Fixed.

Thanks for the very good tips. LG not so intuitive here. It was driving me crazy.

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
Glad you got it working! :)

Thanks. It would've been nice if anything had been where expected. I mean, there's no reason apps should be accessible from settings/general/apps. ;) That would be toooooo easy! We like a challenge! Who wouldn't think they could DL apps from "settings/about phone/update center?"

Woulda been nice also to get a warning on uninstalling (I figured, who needed QuickMemo when I use Evernote???) that uninstalling would disable certain buttons and toolbars in use.

There's a reason I always say changing phone ecosystems from one manufacturer to another is annoying. I may not change again for a long while. :) Sammy finally convinced me to switch. I may not be meeting up with Sammy for awhile now. ;)

tommytank1981

Aug 7, 2019
Visit site
So, I wake up, the capture icon that I had in home buttons is gone.

I search around--the app seems gone, too.

Now, I confess I did uninstall a couple of things the other night, including an app included with the phone. I can't imagine that uninstalling Lookout got rid of the Capture app. But maybe something else included it. I am certain nothing said "capture app," or I wouldn't have touched it. Whether I did it or something just sorta happened--got me.

Any ideas on ....How I get it back?

Go to google app itself...click on updates..then your profile icon... Then click on assistant..icon. Then go to assistance devices and click on phone.....then go to general and turn on screen content and turn on donate screen captures.home settings and capture and donate screen and your home button icon will work for screenshots