LG V20 back power button stopped working

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
My power button just stopped working while my phone was on, I took a screenshot and now it's working fine, crazy
It happened to me again the other day after the volume slider pop-up somehow got stuck on screen with equally odd results. When i first got the slider pop-up to go away, the power button stopped working. I used the volume buttons again, which only temporarily showed the pop-up as normal, then the power button worked again without needing a battery pull.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
My power button wouldn't work yesterday. I held down the power button and volume down button together and phone restarted. It saved me a battery pull. I have a VZW case that is difficult to remove so I hope pwr-vol down always works in this situation. This is a bad bug imo. Even though it has only happened to me once it is one more thing to be concerned about.

Jewels81

Aug 12, 2016
Visit site
My power button messed up last week. I could turn phone on and use fingerprint scanner but had to let screen go to sleep by itself cause couldn't turn it off. I just pulled the battery out for a few seconds and it has been working fine ever since

donebrasko

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
I had the same problem and I was scared to death to pull the battery. I finally did and that fixed it. Hasn't happened again.

icebison

May 1, 2017
Visit site
This just happened to me and I ended up here after Googling for help. I hit the volume keys a couple times and now the power button works again. Go figure. I hope that's not all OP had to do before restoring to factory settings!

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
This just happened to me and I ended up here after Googling for help. I hit the volume keys a couple times and now the power button works again. Go figure. I hope that's not all OP had to do before restoring to factory settings!

Could have same symptom but different problem

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
My power button wouldn't work yesterday. I held down the power button and volume down button together and phone restarted. It saved me a battery pull. I have a VZW case that is difficult to remove so I hope pwr-vol down always works in this situation. This is a bad bug imo. Even though it has only happened to me once it is one more thing to be concerned about.

I think it happened to me only once in the 6 months that I've owned it. Just a temporary software malfunction. I restarted it and cleared the cache and it never happened again. Also, I rarely use the power button, the FPS turns the screen on immediately or double tapping.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I use it to restart phone. I like to restart once a day. I don't understand why I would have to root my phone to get an app to shut off or restart phone. What's the security risk?

phukin_psycho

May 15, 2017
Visit site
So I have the V20 and was experiencing the same issue with the back button not working. I actually just made an account on this site because I was able to fix the problem without pulling power on the device and wanted to post how in case anyone else found it useful.

I was playing Pokemon Go when the problem happened, so I went to Settings --> Apps and selected Pokemon Go. After force stopping the app and clearing the cache the button immediately started working again.

I wish this phone was rooted with CatLog installed so I could troubleshoot the problem better, but it isn't. I'm guessing some apps just lock up whatever the command is for that button press, but that's just speculation. If you double-tap the top bar right below your second screen it will still lock the phone's screen (in case anyone didn't know).

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
My power button just got stuck again and wouldn't function, and I remembered your reply. I tapped both volume keys and the power button started working again.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Amazing. I have had the power button problem 3 or 4 times now and have always either let the battery die or pulled the battery. You screen shot method worked. Thank you!

See....these are just little computers that have similar problems like the big computers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trudycharles