Does Hi-Fi Quad DAC work with Bluetooth headphones?

tyhart44

May 18, 2011
Visit site
Thinking of getting a nice pair of headphones and considering Bluetooth for mobility reasons. But I'll go wired if this phone can't do what it was designed to do. Anyone have any experience?

TNCattleDog

Dec 21, 2013
Visit site
No. The DAC, or Digital to ANALOG Converter works only with wired headphones.

However, the phone also supports a hi quality APT-X HD Bluetooth codec, so pairing it up with a good set of bluetooth headphones that support APTX-HD will also give you very good sound quality. If you plan on listening to streaming media or regular MP3, and not "lossless" audio files, then I'd go with a good set of bluetooth buds or headset that support the APT X-HD.

David

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

However, the phone also supports a hi quality APT-X HD Bluetooth codec, so pairing it up with a good set of bluetooth headphones that support APTX-HD will also give you very good sound quality. If you plan on listening to streaming media or regular MP3, and not "lossless" audio files, then I'd go with a good set of bluetooth buds or headset that support the APT X-HD.

David

There is a difference between wired output and bluetooth APT X-HD even without lossless files, however it also depends on the wired headset that you using.

Last edited:

LuvMusic

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
Another thing to consider....many Bluetooth headphones also are able to work with a wired connection and generally come with a cord that enables you to do so, for example my Bose QC35's. When I use the headphones with the wire / cord, the DAC is engaged. Just make sure you audition the phones in both Bluetooth and wired modes, sometimes the results in wired mode are disappointing / different.

By going this way you have Bluetooth for convenience and wired for more critical listening.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Another thing to consider....many Bluetooth headphones also are able to work with a wired connection and generally come with a cord that enables you to do so, for example my Bose QC35's. When I use the headphones with the wire / cord, the DAC is engaged. Just make sure you audition the phones in both Bluetooth and wired modes, sometimes the results in wired mode are disappointing / different.

By going this way you have Bluetooth for convenience and wired for more critical listening.

The Bose are great at noise cancelation. Not the best option in that price range if you want high end sound. The noise cancelation also impacts the sound quality. They are great headphones but there are better options in that price range or even way less money for wired sound.

LuvMusic

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
The Bose are great at noise cancelation. Not the best option in that price range if you want high end sound. The noise cancelation also impacts the sound quality. They are great headphones but there are better options in that price range or even way less money for wired sound.

I agree....just using the QC35's as a wired / wireless example. I only use my the Bose when I'm on a plane.

Joshua_Muldoon

Aug 20, 2016
Visit site
I recommend the Sony H.Ear Wireless. I got them for $200 on Amazon New, with Noice cancelling, good sound, and it works with the DAC. Sadly, they don't trigger High Impedance.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I recommend the Sony H.Ear Wireless. I got them for $200 on Amazon New, with Noice cancelling, good sound, and it works with the DAC. Sadly, they don't trigger High Impedance.

If it's wireless it does not work with the QUAD DAC so it can't trigger the high impedance output which you don't need unless you have headphones to match. Wireless headphones have their own DAC that converts the bluetooth signal.

Last edited:

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
Thinking of getting a nice pair of headphones and considering Bluetooth for mobility reasons. But I'll go wired if this phone can't do what it was designed to do. Anyone have any experience?

TnCattleDog had a great response for my money. I go with bluetooth most of the time, period. It fits my lifestyle. Whatever I lose, so be it. For most normal use, it's not that much. They are great 'phones. They work great with the phone. And I'm only using headphones, as opposed to massive speakers to light up a concert hall. I think they're way good enough for the VBR mp3s from Amazon or whatever that I listen to. And I don't know about you, I don't crank headphones up to a point where it blows my eardrums out. You'll be pleased. Are my wired Shure headphones slightly better in presence than the Bose bluetooth? Probably. But I can make adjustments. I'm happy.

Even when I stream from my phone via Bluetooth to a Marshall bluetooth speaker, the mp3s sound great. Again, it's just a small room for normal listening. It's not a concert hall. For my needs, I have 0 issues. Everyone may not have the same needs. With my prior phone, the stylus was the fancy feature I thought I'd love and then almost never used. With the LG, it's the Quad DAC. My current approach works just fine for me. Your mileage may differ.

JkdJedi

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
No, no DAC works with Bluetooth, that tech is still behind on the HiFi curve..but catching up..not really.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site

David
How about the apple pods?

TNCattleDog

Dec 21, 2013
Visit site
Apple pods are bluetooth and WILL NOT work with the DAC.

ONLY HIGH Impedance WIRED headphones or earbuds will trigger the high quality mode of the DAC. You will also not be able to appreciate the sound quality unless you listen to higher quality Mp3 or Lossless audio files such as FLAC.

If the apple pods have the apt-x HD feature then they should work with the apt-x (but not the DAC) on the V20

EDIT: Are you talking about the wired apple pods or the wireless AirPods?

David

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
The Quad DAC works without high impedance headphones. It changes to a higher output level for high impedance headphones because they need it.

Maynard K

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
How about a recommendation for pair of wired ear buds (not over the ear) in the $50-$199 range for general listening (music, movies, phone calls) - that gives the V30's DAC a workout - and one that actually outputs some decent VOLUME....?

I get not nearly enough oomph on my last numbers of both plug in and BT buds (and even car interface and a small BT speaker) with either my LG G5 or new V30.... ...walking out to my mailbox I can't hear much of anything if a car goes by, e.g.

jkool

Oct 23, 2017
Visit site
I have the bo promo corded headphones and a pair of jaybird X2 wireless. I still enjoy my wireless headphones if I want no cord for something I'm doing.

irvine752

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
How about a recommendation for pair of wired ear buds (not over the ear) in the $50-$199 range for general listening (music, movies, phone calls) - that gives the V30's DAC a workout - and one that actually outputs some decent VOLUME....?

I get not nearly enough oomph on my last numbers of both plug in and BT buds (and even car interface and a small BT speaker) with either my LG G5 or new V30.... ...walking out to my mailbox I can't hear much of anything if a car goes by, e.g.

I would take a look at: https://www.audiophileon.com/news/best-in-ear-headphones-under-200

There's also a dedicated forum for the V30.

Greedog

Aug 29, 2016
Visit site
My Tone Infinium 900's around pretty awesome with my G5. Probably because they are both LG. They only lasted a year and a half due to the retractable wire setup. Anyone know how or where I can get them repaired?

Last edited: