Quantum IPS or AMOLED Display?

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Since Apple recently purchased 160 million AMOLED displays from Samsung, it may seem that LG may not be able to get an AMOLED smartphone display for a while. I personally think this is the best IPS LCD display to date. I really enjoy the fact that you can't get screen burn-in with this especially with the on screen navigation buttons being displayed constantly. I don't have to worry about Google maps getting burned into my screen when I'm driving. Whites look really good, and LG managed to reduce the LCD light bleed significantly (always on display looks awesome). If LG went with an AMOLED display then the 2nd screen wouldn't be possible because it'll burn in for sure (unless they have a hybrid of both).

Which do you guys prefer: Quad HD IPS Quantum Display or Super AMOLED? Do you think LG will switch to AMOLED in the future? Seems like the trend now is AMOLED, non-removable batteries, no IR- blasters, no SD card slots, slim and fragile but beautiful chassis, no bezels, 12MP cameras.

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site
I'm sure LG could hammer out their own AMOLED screens if they wanted to. They already have some of the best if not the best OLED TV display panels. They are working on foldable OLED, paper thin OLED, etc. They have this good IPS display as well, the manufacturing is already in place, so they probably just keep costs down.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
IPS for me too. AMOLED has become better in color accuracy, but I still prefer LCD displays in that respect, plus the other benefits you mentioned.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Reality is that they screw up IPS because they try to calibrate them to look more vibrant and it skews everything.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
IPS for me too. AMOLED has become better in color accuracy

Other than the iPhone 7/7s - that's the most accurate smartphone display ever produced and is IPS. Other than the color accuracy on the LG V20, the screen is pretty awesome. The color accuracy is terrible, but a LOT of members here in the forums have said they still prefer it to more accurate AMOLED displays.

Guyinbox

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
Other than the iPhone 7/7s - that's the most accurate smartphone display ever produced and is IPS. Other than the color accuracy on the LG V20, the screen is pretty awesome. The color accuracy is terrible, but a LOT of members here in the forums have said they still prefer it to more accurate AMOLED displays.

The iPhone 7 plus actually has a really great display despite being 1080p. I would be more than happy with it on the v20. The v20 screen is nice and bright though, much better than i remember my v10 being. The problem i have with LG displays in general is the viewing angle are much worse than my Samsung phones, but that's mainly due to being lcd. Agree that the color calibration in the v20 is terrible.

km04

Mar 30, 2016
Visit site
The Samsung screens look super, IMHO. I think the LG screen is great as well, until I put it nest to the wife's then Note 7, now S7E.

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Its been awhile (SGS3) since I've seen an Amoled display on a daily basis but back then, I couldn't view one for prolonged periods of time before my eyes start straining/hurting. I'm hoping that somehow, things will be different with a new Amoled display since I'll be looking for one this year.

SupraLB

Oct 28, 2015
Visit site
LG is 100% switching to AMOLED screens, likely with the next V20 variant. There was a south korean article a few months ago about how they wanted it for the upcoming G6, but their factories don't have enough capacity yet. They make most of the screens for smartwatches out there, and of course tvs.

Matty

Q&A Team
Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
Which do you guys prefer: Quad HD IPS Quantum Display or Super AMOLED? Do you think LG will switch to AMOLED in the future? Seems like the trend now is AMOLED

My first device had a TFT - LCD display. It was OK at the time but obviously the resolution and colour reproduction wasn't that good. I then moved up to a IPS LCD display which had a higher resolution and better colour reproduction which i thought was amazing. Finally, just a couple weeks ago i got my first AMOLED 'Diamond Pen-tile' screen and i think it's even better. So my favourite would have to be AMOLED. The colours are simply amazing! But IPS isn't far behind. Especially when the resolution is 2560 x 1440

I think iPhone and LG will switch soon. While ISP LCD can look fantastic. AMOLED just has that little advantage. I'm sure in the next few years more and more will switch and new display technologies will come for the high end devices :D

Brent Michael

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
The iPhone 7 plus actually has a really great display despite being 1080p. I would be more than happy with it on the v20. The v20 screen is nice and bright though, much better than i remember my v10 being. The problem i have with LG displays in general is the viewing angle are much worse than my Samsung phones, but that's mainly due to being lcd. Agree that the color calibration in the v20 is terrible.
I wish the V20 was led backlit like the iPhones is

geeyesgee

Mar 3, 2014
Visit site
My first device had a TFT - LCD display. It was OK at the time but obviously the resolution and colour reproduction wasn't that good. I then moved up to a IPS LCD display which had a higher resolution and better colour reproduction which i thought was amazing. Finally, just a couple weeks ago i got my first AMOLED 'Diamond Pen-tile' screen and i think it's even better. So my favourite would have to be AMOLED. The colours are simply amazing! But IPS isn't far behind. Especially when the resolution is 2560 x 1440

I think iPhone and LG will switch soon. While ISP LCD can look fantastic. AMOLED just has that little advantage. I'm sure in the next few years more and more will switch and new display technologies will come for the high end devices :D

If I am right, AMOLEDs do not reproduce true and original colours and colours are saturated apart from burn-in issues whereas IPS LCD in LG & iPhone truly reproduce natural colours and look life-like and also will not leave behind strain in eyes. However, black will be black in AMOLED whereas IPS LCD struggles to come nearer to that!

Brent Michael

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
If I am right, AMOLEDs do not reproduce true and original colours and colours are saturated apart from burn-in issues whereas IPS LCD in LG & iPhone truly reproduce natural colours and look life-like and also will not leave behind strain in eyes. However, black will be black in AMOLED whereas IPS LCD struggles to come nearer to that!
Yeah. The lack of true blacks is probably the main thing I miss from an amoled screen