Shattergate was bogus right?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Definitely not an epidemic. It can seem like there are a lot but even seeing a lot within the forums doesn't mean it's widespread anywhere else. We're very much not representative of the market.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I haven't seen any posts in awhile about cameras shattering, so I assume that didn't pan out to be an epidemic?

It is delicate so be careful. Keep it away from other objects in your pocket or bag. Tempered glass can break by itself but spontaneous breakage is rare.

kdi68

Nov 7, 2016
Visit site
Not and epidemic. One of those things where its weaker or more brittle than most and where a normal one would hold out or just scratch, it spiderwebs. Or possible temperature changes. Mine seemed to crack on its own. I wish I would have dropped it so I knew what did it. Its considered physical so they don't cover it. When asked if they have parts they say no. It is a shame that such a expensive piece of hardware to have such horrible support. I would not buy/recommend one and would not buy from them again based on the quality and support. Its a shame, its a good phone. Have another brand on the way and mine will be on swappa with a broken camera lens.

Note: D Brands actually has a protector that covers the lens and it may help. Wish I would have known then, it may have saved mine.

Jeremiah Bonds

Trusted Member
Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
What do you mean by that?

lol sarcasm. I've seen A LOT of people on Youtube or Twitter say they would have purchased this phone but they heard that the camera glass breaks easily. Everyone seems to think it's some wide spread thing... you know.. fake news. haha just kidding.

Jeremiah Bonds

Trusted Member
Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
Not and epidemic. One of those things where its weaker or more brittle than most and where a normal one would hold out or just scratch, it spiderwebs. Or possible temperature changes. Mine seemed to crack on its own. I wish I would have dropped it so I knew what did it. Its considered physical so they don't cover it. When asked if they have parts they say no. It is a shame that such a expensive piece of hardware to have such horrible support. I would not buy/recommend one and would not buy from them again based on the quality and support. Its a shame, its a good phone. Have another brand on the way and mine will be on swappa with a broken camera lens.

Note: D Brands actually has a protector that covers the lens and it may help. Wish I would have known then, it may have saved mine.

that sucks. And to my knowledge, there still isn't any replacement options huh?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
As others said it did happen to a few people but I don't think it was super widespread or anything.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

I've actually tested how easy camera glass is to break on several phones. It almost doesn't matter which manfacturer.... It doesn't take much, however the LG glass is a bigger target because it spans two cameras. All it takes is a little pressure from an object in your pocket or bag. Keys, coins, or any hard objects especially if they pointy or jagged edges. Tempered glass will break with extreme temperature swings but it has to be extreme swings. It will also break on its own if there are imperfections in the layers. The imperfection starts out as a tiny stone that can actually grow over time to shatter the glass. This is rare however.

kdi68

Nov 7, 2016
Visit site
No, there is a part but it listed out of stock on a china parts site. This thing is so easy to work it would take 15 min to replace.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
The camera lens has a larger surface area and like all things glass, it can crack. But there have been many drop tests on YouTube proving that it isn't as fragile as you think. I'm not afraid of it cracking as I use a case and protector. Even if it did, replacing it wouldn't be that hard.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
The camera lens has a larger surface area and like all things glass, it can crack. But there have been many drop tests on YouTube proving that it isn't as fragile as you think. I'm not afraid of it cracking as I use a case and protector. Even if it did, replacing it wouldn't be that hard.

They crack if hit directly with a pointy object or if you apply pressure. Tested it on G5, V10, S7, S7E, S6. I couldn't test any more after those because I was getting funny looks at Verizon.

talon1189

Oct 18, 2016
Visit site
They crack if hit directly with a pointy object or if you apply pressure. Tested it on G5, V10, S7, S7E, S6. I couldn't test any more after those because I was getting funny looks at Verizon.
I always put my phone in my front left pocket of my pants. I never have any change or keys in that pocket. At work I always lay my phone on a napkin so it won't break or scratch the phone in anyway :D My phone is in like new condition.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I always put my phone in my front left pocket of my pants. I never have any change or keys in that pocket. At work I always lay my phone on a napkin so it won't break or scratch the phone in anyway :D My phone is in like new condition.

I'm always aware of being careful but have dropped while cased only. Mine is minty fresh.

talon1189

Oct 18, 2016
Visit site
I'm always aware of being careful but have dropped while cased only. Mine is minty fresh.
Mine is "bare naked" I have dropped it 2 times. Once on thick carpeting and then last week on a cement floor from 4 feet. It remains flawless :)
I am NOT a clumsy person fortunately :D

SupraLB

Oct 28, 2015
Visit site
The biggest scam since the carpet sweeper. I've dropped mine at least 20 times now on hardwood floors, not a scratch.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Same for me with right pocket. Only my phone's goes in there.. nothing else.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jm_rookie2