LG G6 Looks Like it has Already Failed

Brent Michael

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
It's just a cost cutting measure. They give you an SD card slot to mitigate this and push the cost of upgrading the phone's storage away from the initial phone price and to the end consumer.
How could the cost be that much extra? You can go out and get a decent SD card for a decent price these days. I mean I know that internal storage is a higher grade of storage, being faster and what not, but still!

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site
How could the cost be that much extra? You can go out and get a decent SD card for a decent price these days. I mean I know that internal storage is a higher grade of storage, being faster and what not, but still!
Your last sentence is the answer. It's better, faster, and more reliable, so it costs more. Plus, 95+% of users don't need more than 32gb currently.

Brent Michael

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
Honestly what they need to do is that if a phone is advertised as 32GB of storage it needs to be 32GB of usable storage, not 32GB of storage and half of it is is taken up by the system data.. Almost feels like false advertising..

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site
Honestly what they need to do is that if a phone is advertised as 32GB of storage it needs to be 32GB of usable storage, not 32GB of storage and half of it is is taken up by the system data.. Almost feels like false advertising..
So what you are saying is every single phone manufacturer is guilty of false advertising?

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site
Just saying it feels like it. The way they advertise it, it makes it seem like there is 32 GB or what not of usable storage. Most people know that's not the case but some don't.
I guess if someone doesn't know that the operating system takes up space on the internal storage, they must be living under a rock, or born yesterday.

Brent Michael

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
I guess if someone doesn't know that the operating system takes up space on the internal storage, they must be living under a rock, or born yesterday.
Or just not tech savvy. My dad for instance probably doesn't know that. It would make sense to him but doesn't necessarily know it right off bat.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Is G6 a flaghship? How could to compete with V20? Isn't LG has differentiate by ots code (G vs V)?
Yes it is; and more so than the V20 by the normal definition. This is LG showing off it's vision for 2017, while the V20 is more of a niche product - even though compared to the G5, the V20 would be a slam dunk for anyone that didn't value the stand alone features of the G5 (smaller, modules, etc), assuming they were the same price. The V20 really knocked it out of the park when compared to the G5, but the G5 was the flagship while the V20 was meant for a very different core group of customers.

The G6 fixes a lot of what people didn't love about the G5 and adds some of it's own improvements. For most consumers, the G6 will be a better choice than the V20, although for a large niche crowd here in the forums, obviously the V20 has some features that the G6 doesn't - but that's true in both directions, if you think about it, a lot of it boils down to what features you value more than others.

The G6 is likely to be much more popular with mainstream consumers, which translates into sales, etc.

Wonder Why

Feb 27, 2017
Visit site
Yes it is; and more so than the V20 by the normal definition. This is LG showing off it's vision for 2017, while the V20 is more of a niche product - even though compared to the G5, the V20 would be a slam dunk for anyone that didn't value the stand alone features of the G5 (smaller, modules, etc), assuming they were the same price. The V20 really knocked it out of the park when compared to the G5, but the G5 was the flagship while the V20 was meant for a very different core group of customers.

The G6 fixes a lot of what people didn't love about the G5 and adds some of it's own improvements. For most consumers, the G6 will be a better choice than the V20, although for a large niche crowd here in the forums, obviously the V20 has some features that the G6 doesn't - but that's true in both directions, if you think about it, a lot of it boils down to what features you value more than others.

The G6 is likely to be much more popular with mainstream consumers, which translates into sales, etc.

Yeah... I got your point. Although I didnt consider the features of V20 when I decided to buy it, honestly removable battery that makes it unique, but then I do really like V20 so much,no matter what happens with another series of LG smartphones except V30, Lol

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Just saying it feels like it. The way they advertise it, it makes it seem like there is 32 GB or what not of usable storage. Most people know that's not the case but some don't.

They tell you in the fine print on the box of the phone. Just like anything in life -- the fine print tells you.

This isn't a phone issue since hard drives have always been this way (for PCs, Macs, etc.). Once formatted you lose some of the space. You then lose some more since you have to load an OS on it.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Big screen in smallish phone is visually very attractive and will help sell phones. The key is release before Samsung does. The oled screen will blow the lcd away in phone to phone comparisons in stores so LG needs to sell them before the s8 is out.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
The oled screen will blow the lcd away in phone to phone comparisons in stores so LG needs to sell them before the s8 is out.

I remember the first time i compared LCD to AMOLED side by side in the store. My first thought was, "why does this AMOLED screen look so bad?"

I know they have got better, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder I guess. If LG goes the way of the masses when I'm ready to upgrade again, I may just put it on hold.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I remember the first time i compared LCD to AMOLED side by side in the store. My first thought was, "why does this AMOLED screen look so bad?"

I know they have got better, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder I guess. If LG goes the way of the masses when I'm ready to upgrade again, I may just put it on hold.
Of course I have a V20 and tge screen looks great to me but when I hold it next to a Samsung screen mine looks washed out. Obviously it depends on the individual. I've never really heard anyone say the LCD looks better before. Even LG TV's use oled of some kind.

Brent Michael

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
They tell you in the fine print on the box of the phone. Just like anything in life -- the fine print tells you.

This isn't a phone issue since hard drives have always been this way (for PCs, Macs, etc.). Once formatted you lose some of the space. You then lose some more since you have to load an OS on it.
I know all that. It's just a nuisance that they do it. Just saying that it would be nice if the advertised storage was what was usable to the consumer. It is what it is.

Infiniti14

Oct 4, 2016
Visit site
Of course I have a V20 and tge screen looks great to me but when I hold it next to a Samsung screen mine looks washed out. Obviously it depends on the individual. I've never really heard anyone say the LCD looks better before. Even LG TV's use oled of some kind.

I kind of agree with this. Samsung Amoled screens just seem more vibrant when compared next to LCD. The Amoled blacks are truly fantastic. The only area of weakness I can think of is Amoled white colour reproduction, where LCD seems to be better.

Using an LCD (V20) after Amoled screens I think the Amoled is just made to be more visually appealing, maybe not more accurate.

Both are nice, but Amoled definitely "pops" and to top it off uses less power.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samyblaze