Aren't you glad you got the V20?

Mike-Mike

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I ruled out the Z and the Z Force almost immediately. The placement of the logo made the bottom bezel unnecessarily large, unlike the Z Play. A lot of the mods are gimmicky, but the only one I had my sights set on was the battery mod with wireless charging. It's perfect. The sound mod would have been great for the party I was at on Saturday.

I always just left the wireless charging battery mod on my Force. Seemed to be the only time I had a phone that would truly last all day. And all the reviews had somewhat negative comments about that speaker, but it was pretty great. I just got a Samsung Level Mini box to try and replicate that. But it doesn't sound as good as that JBL did.

I'd love the V20 more if it was smaller (and less laggy) .

So far my V20 is not laggy at all, but again it is only a week old for me. And I actually like the size, i want a big screen, and a somewhat large form factor

I use SwiftKey so no stock keyboard will ever do it for me. LG calendar actually is great, but I've found DigiCal to be similar and better. Capture+ has only been useful for me because it's so difficult taking screen shots on the V20. Smart Settings is terrible if you knew any better. I've disabled it on all my recent LG phones

i have used SwiftKey, and it is good, i used it on my Moto. Samsung is definitely my favorite there though

Capture+ is the best for me, I use it to take quick screenshots that I can crop and share, and draw on the pic, etc

Smart Setting works fine for me. I only have it set to do a few things and it does them right every time. I have it to turn on my Wifi when I get home, and turn off my Wifi when I leave home. Then I have it open Google Play Music if i plug in headphones

TheMarcus

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
So far my V20 is not laggy at all, but again it is only a week old for me. And I actually like the size, i want a big screen, and a somewhat large form factor

My phone runs great after a factory reset, but then...

After having the G3 and G4 for a cumulative 3+ years, I was more than ready to hop on a 5.7" screen phone (probably the deciding factor between this and the Moto Z), but after using it for months, I prefer the usability of a slightly smaller screen that doesn't really lose too much in terms of viewing space. However, LG did work some magic on the G6 so fingers crossed we get to keep our big screen on the V30 while having it an easier to handle phone.

i have used SwiftKey, and it is good, i used it on my Moto. Samsung is definitely my favorite there though

I've never used Samsung so I can't comment, but SwiftKey is easily better than anything I can find in the Play Store. A lot of that is because I'm just so used to it.

Capture+ is the best for me, I use it to take quick screenshots that I can crop and share, and draw on the pic, etc

Capture+ is great, don't get me wrong. It's just not a must have app when other apps can do the same.

Smart Setting works fine for me. I only have it set to do a few things and it does them right every time. I have it to turn on my Wifi when I get home, and turn off my Wifi when I leave home. Then I have it open Google Play Music if i plug in headphones

I'm not saying that smart settings doesn't work, I'm saying it's not good. When I've been using automation apps for as long as I can remember (previously Llama, now MacroDroid), smart settings is a bad joke by comparison.

My WiFi turns off when I leave home or work, turns on when I come home or arrive at work. My ringer and notifications volume also adjusts automatically based on time and location and so does my media volume based on what my phone's connected to. I have different apps for listening to music or podcasts so only having the option for one to open is not useful. When my Bluetooth or headphones connect, I get a pop up asking me which app I want to run or I can dismiss if I don't need to open any of those apps.

Smart Settings doesn't even come close to that level of functionality and MacroDroid still does so much more without being as complicated as Tasker.

I would love an app that worked like an rgb indicator displaying a different color in second screen for each app notification I choose.

That would be awesome. I wonder if it's possible. LG should have added that functionality, but they either don't think things through or they just half *** stuff.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
It's possible but nobody would devote the time to just support the V10 and V20. Not enough of a pool of users to monetize it. We would need a devotee willing to do a ton of work for no return. Such individuals used to be common in the Android world. Sadly it is all about making a buck now.

garak0410

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
I went from a Moto Z Force to the LG V20. Even though it is only .2 inches, the screen seems much bigger on the V20, which I like.

and everytime I go back to a Moto, i love how fast it is, but then I miss the cool stuff that other companies like LG and Sammy do. Like I love the Samsung Keyboard and Calendar, but I love the LG QuickCapture+, and smart settings are cool, and the LG Calendar is a close second.

and yes you can replicate a lot of that by adding apps to the Moto, but then you are just bogging it down with multiple apps, and then they never seem to do it as nice as Sammy or LG

I've considered the V20. I've had the Pixel and my daily driver is the Z Force Droid. The Z Force Droid seems like the most well rounded phone with the trade-offs I can live with. It remains snappy even using adoptive storage and the camera, albeit slow, is pretty consistent in taking good shots. And I do use the mods. I have several styles of backs, a battery mod and the JBL speaker. All works great. On my Pixel, I ended up with cloudy or halo shots more often than not. I've had my eye on the V20 for a while too but haven't had a chance to play with one.

ajb1965

Trusted Member
Jun 14, 2014
Visit site
Manufactures are giving us features, yet they end up taking them away. For example, Samsung: removed the SD card, sealed the battery, took out the IR blaster, reduced megapixels to 12 from 16. Now LG G6: sealing batteries, no quad DAC, no LED indicator, went from 16MP to 13MP. Really glad I went back to removable batteries, though they aren't necessary right now, further down the road it will help (batteries stop holding a good charge after several months). Let's hope LG keeps the removable battery feature for the V series. I don't need a waterproof phone, if I go hiking, I put it in a waterproof bag that costs me 10 bucks on Amazon. You can't even expose a waterproof phone to salt water anyway so there's no point for me (I go hiking and to the beach often).

I am glad that I got the V20 during launch week so I could spend as much time as possible before I get the G6 during launch week :)

1. I'll take waterproofing over a removable battery any day of the week.

2. The DAC is nice, but they aren't taking it away from the G, they are keeping it on the V series.

3. LED's are going the way of the headphone jack. Not sure I agree, but it's what's happening. AOD offers more information than an LED ever can so I assume that's the trade off.

4. Can the average person really tell the difference between a 13 and 16 MP camera? Not to mention that the wide angle is now bumped UP to 13MP

Tech is constantly evolving and changing based on the needs/desires of the consumer. The changes are tailored to appeal to the masses rather than the niche. I for one am happy that LG will continue their V line to satisfy that niche audience, and will most likely get the V30 or whatever it's called upon release.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
It's possible but nobody would devote the time to just support the V10 and V20. Not enough of a pool of users to monetize it. We would need a devotee willing to do a ton of work for no return. Such individuals used to be common in the Android world. Sadly it is all about making a buck now.

People are supposed to do work for free?

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site
If I had the skill to write what I described I would. Many people share for free in Android
I'm not 100% certain but I'm pretty sure you would need root to access the 2nd screen in the manner you are looking to achieve.

And there are still plenty of devs that provide custom ROMs, kernels, exploits, etc for free. V20 development is actually pretty good. Multiple really solid custom ROMs.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I used to do that years ago but I opt for more security now. I will just buy a phone with led next time. Probably a Samsung unless G6 has one.

I never used to miss notifications. Now I do all the time. Really miss Lightflow

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coehlcke