What text/messaging app are you using?

Feb 25, 2017
Visit site
I'm currently using GO SMS Pro VIP & GO Keyboard VIP. On Nova Prime. They have some nice themes, but the Devs /Company are way too money hungry ( in the 15 minutes it took the Verizon guy to upgrade my LG G3 to the V20 and reinstall my apps: the Go was demanding money for the SMS & Keyboard that I'd just used 20 mins before- they suck!) I've been trying to find a comparable set.. Thought I did with SMS Plus and K+ Keyboard Plus Emoji. The only other text/keyboard I've used is Verizon Messenger.

smvim

May 16, 2014
Visit site
RCS doesn't appear to gaining any traction, except for Sprint all the other carriers have already shunned it, plus Apple continues to focus solely on its own proprietary iMessage. At this point we're lucky iMessage even includes support for SMS/MMS, the odds that Apple will contradict their current statements on Google's RCS don't appear to give us much hope. Haven't read much of anything as far as Facebook's official stance on RCS, if FB Messenger and WhatsApp were to change that would at least be a big step. Looks like texting will continue to only have the very, very dated SMS/MMS protocols as a common exchange while all the competing and incompatible proprietary formats keep consumers locked into separate services.

Brent Michael

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
RCS doesn't appear to gaining any traction, except for Sprint all the other carriers have already shunned it, plus Apple continues to focus solely on its own proprietary iMessage. At this point we're lucky iMessage even includes support for SMS/MMS, the odds that Apple will contradict their current statements on Google's RCS don't appear to give us much hope. Haven't read much of anything as far as Facebook's official stance on RCS, if FB Messenger and WhatsApp were to change that would at least be a big step. Looks like texting will continue to only have the very, very dated SMS/MMS protocols as a common exchange while all the competing and incompatible proprietary formats keep consumers locked into separate services.
The main thing hindering it right now is that the carriers want to use it as an exclusive feature to them so it'll only work full featured between users of the same carrier even if other carriers support it. As soon as they get over themselves and open it up, it should take off, at least on Android.

smvim

May 16, 2014
Visit site
...As soon as they get over themselves and open it up, it should take off, at least on Android.
But it's pretty obvious there's absolutely no incentive for the carriers to actually 'get over themselves'. If anything regulations are being rolled back so corporations can increase, not decrease, their moves to monopolize and build up closed, vendor-locked environments. Even if Google did add RCS support into every Android device and if all the carriers did eventually support it, there's still major conflicting competition with Apple's iMessage in the American market and Facebook's WhatsApp in multiple other countries. Until texting in general becomes as universally compatible as email, it's always going to be a fractured way to communicate, the problem being consumer benefit simply isn't the priority.

Brent Michael

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
But it's pretty obvious there's absolutely no incentive for the carriers to actually 'get over themselves'. If anything regulations are being rolled back so corporations can increase, not decrease, their moves to monopolize and build up closed, vendor-locked environments. Even if Google did add RCS support into every Android device and if all the carriers did eventually support it, there's still major conflicting competition with Apple's iMessage in the American market and Facebook's WhatsApp in multiple other countries. Until texting in general becomes as universally compatible as email, it's always going to be a fractured way to communicate, the problem being consumer benefit simply isn't the priority.
But at least with text you can reach anyone with a cell phone vs Facebook messenger or whatsapp you can only message someone that that has Facebook or whatsapp. And yes, I know that nearly everyone these days has a Facebook but I am honestly more likely to get a response from my mother or wife via text than Facebook or whatsapp.

smvim

May 16, 2014
Visit site
And yes, I know that nearly everyone these days has a Facebook but I am honestly more likely to get a response from my mother or wife via text than Facebook or whatsapp.

Please re-read my comment, I said nothing about who is or isn't on Facebook, it's a matter of lack of compatibility between different texting services.

kg4icg

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
Problem with Facebook messenger, you will start seeing ads show up on it. You will be at the hands of Facebook mercy with it. How do you think Facebook makes its money.

Adam Frix

Nov 29, 2015
Visit site
Textra here, too. Only had the V20 for a month, but I also used that there. Just can't stand most stock messaging apps lighting up the screen when you get a text.

Have you tried the LG stock messaging app? On my V10, it simply scrolls the message across the second screen. No lighting up involved.

Alex_Flores

Mar 5, 2015
Visit site
I was using Android messages but switched over to Textra because for some reason on Android messages, when I would send a pic it would reduce the quality :/ I don't have this issue with Textra

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coehlcke