Concert photos

sswitzer

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
No, its more than ok. Apology accepted, but not needed :)

My issue from the start, and im seeing a pattern...is the heavy concert lights. A few of my past poor examples were purple and blue, and this weekend was again a heavy blue concert light as seen from the examples above I think the combo of the colored lights and a bright spotlight in a dark concert hall throw the sensor off, where it hadnt in the past. That was my main and only frustration. All else works fine and it does get great shots, its this small issue that I have, which in the end isnt a big deal. I thought it was put to bed last thread, and sort of saw this as reopening it again as...look, there is nothing wrong with concert v20 photos, that guy must be dumb" lol, and i got a bit defensive. So i too offer apologies for going off topic
My only reasoning for opening it up again is that I hadn't had a chance to try out that type of concert lighting yet on the v20.

jamielov

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
First two photos were V20, the follow ups were the G4. Wasn't as huge a difference between them as there usually is, but certainly favored the g4 shot ones. There was lots of smoke haze/reflecting lights off of it, so I could see where problems could occur

jamielov

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
The top two newest ones, those are the V20 in the lights i talk about. Next four (2 regina spektor, 2 flaming lips) were the G4 in about as punishing of a light source you can get. Thats where this v20 loops me. Im using the same manual settings bit either getting ghosting or oil painting look

What focus setting on the V20 would you say i could try? Ill give anything a try. I always hope the comparisons put my issie in perspective im not complaining to complain, nor do i want MY v20 fail, but i cant get anywhere near the same results.

RaRa85

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
The top two newest ones, those are the V20 in the lights i talk about. Next four (2 regina spektor, 2 flaming lips) were the G4 in about as punishing of a light source you can get. Thats where this v20 loops me. Im using the same manual settings bit either getting ghosting or oil painting look

What focus setting on the V20 would you say i could try? Ill give anything a try. I always hope the comparisons put my issie in perspective im not complaining to complain, nor do i want MY v20 fail, but i cant get anywhere near the same results.
I see and there is definitely a difference as the G4 shots are just beautiful. I would suggest choosing a lower 200 ISO and increasing the shutter speed on the V20 to start and then manually change the white balance settings. Use touch to focus or manual focus as well. As a reference can you give the ISO and shutter speed settings from the previous shots? That would help out a lot.

Jeremiah Bonds

Trusted Member
Aug 16, 2010
Visit site

I turn on, and keep on "focus peaking".. in manual mode, when you tap "AF" it'll pop a slider on the screen. Turning on focus peaking will turn EVERYTHING in focus to a green color, making it easier to focus on objects quickly, that and white balance will help, and definitely listen to RaRa85, he's good at what he does.

Objectively, I think both are capable.. They have different sensors so you would have to do things slightly different, which I'm sure you know and understand.

jamielov

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
Thank you a again for the tips. I know the "issue" is more unique to me due to the challenging events I choose to photograph. So I'm never meaning to imply that the camera is not capable or great I just haven't had much luck.

And for the things I took a bit to personally I offer apologies to all. It was just frustrating to try to prove a point and be told over and over again I was just doing it wrong.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Thank you a again for the tips. I know the "issue" is more unique to me due to the challenging events I choose to photograph. So I'm never meaning to imply that the camera is not capable or great I just haven't had much luck.

And for the things I took a bit to personally I offer apologies to all. It was just frustrating to try to prove a point and be told over and over again I was just doing it wrong.

We all get that way from time to time. Keeps things exciting.

RaRa85

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site

No apologies needed. I know the feeling so any way we can help you achieve the results you had with G4 we'll give it a shot. We can all see the difference between the two and have no doubt that with a few tweaks you can get better shots on your V20.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair