The Quad DAC has me listening to albums that I ignored in my collection.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
The title says it all, but I need to elaborate. I had in my possession a two disk CD live Police album which I never really enjoyed despite being a long time Police fan. It just didn't pop for me. I converted it to FLAC like I do with all my CDs and this album is a monster.

huungryshark

Jan 14, 2014
Visit site
Re: The Quad has me listening to albums that I ignored in my collection.

...and listen with a B&O Over-Ear High Fidelity Headset

..pure Dope :)

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

320kbps MP3s plus Audio Technica headphones = amazing! I'm enjoying my old collection of music from 2011, sounds better than ever before.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

Which ATs do you own?

I have the Audio Technica ATH-M40x. Very high ratings and good reviews on Amazon. Only $70 bucks and it is as good and affordable as you can get. Very well balanced and crisp sound, good bass but not overpowering. For the longest time I've been using generic headphones so it's a treat. Only annoying thing is that the cable included is very long, but you can fold it and tie it down.

kramer5150

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
Yep LG did a GREAT job partnering with ESS for the DAC and amp circuit in the V series. Hopefully that will continue, and they keep the TRS jack on the V30

Loving my V10 paired with sennheiser HD650, AKG K701 and poweramp audio player. Many times I prefer it over my dedicated headphone amps and DAC.

My portables are Q-Jays monitors... again really good sounding paired with the ESS circuit.
https://www.amazon.com/JAYS-q-JAYS-...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU5721077

A couple weekends ago I used my cousins HD201 with the V10 and was surprised how good it sounded for the $$.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Yep LG did a GREAT job partnering with ESS for the DAC and amp circuit in the V series. Hopefully that will continue, and they keep the TRS jack on the V30

Loving my V10 paired with sennheiser HD650, AKG K701 and poweramp audio player. Many times I prefer it over my dedicated headphone amps and DAC.

My portables are Q-Jays monitors... again really good sounding paired with the ESS circuit.
https://www.amazon.com/JAYS-q-JAYS-...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU5721140

A couple weekends ago I used my cousins HD201 with the V10 and was surprised how good it sounded for the $$.

Good sound doesn't always have to be super expensive.

TNCattleDog

Dec 21, 2013
Visit site
So a little off topic but I tried something pretty cool...to me at least.

My father had a FiiO A3 headphone amp that he no longer uses so he gave it to me. I plugged it into my V20 along with the B&O promotion headphones and loaded up a few of my FLAC music files (Sail, Royals, Mad World) and WOW!

I know its not the best solution and a bit of overkill for the V20 given its built in audio capabilities but it really gave a noticeable punch to the B&O's that I didn't think they were capable of.

David

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

My father had a FiiO A3 headphone amp that he no longer uses so he gave it to me. I plugged it into my V20 along with the B&O promotion headphones and loaded up a few of my FLAC music files (Sail, Royals, Mad World) and WOW!

I know its not the best solution and a bit of overkill for the V20 given its built in audio capabilities but it really gave a noticeable punch to the B&O's that I didn't think they were capable of.

David

Probably because the B&O are low impedance so the Quad DAC is at a low output.

kramer5150

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site

David

Not surprising... VERY few pieces of gear in audio-world are pure wire with gain neutrality. So in other words your amp may be "coloring" the sound and flavoring it to your liking. I have heard lots of amps that while very "pure", where they are praised and known for measurable transparency, accuracy and neutrality. Those kinds of circuits, while impre$$ive, for me aren't really that enjoyable.

TNCattleDog

Dec 21, 2013
Visit site
Yeah.... I would not add any amp on the V20.

Yeah, the slightly off topic comment I made about the amp was more directed at the capability of the B&O earbuds more so than the audio capability of the phone...which is much better than any phone I've owned.

David

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, the slightly off topic comment I made about the amp was more directed at the capability of the B&O earbuds more so than the audio capability of the phone...which is much better than any phone I've owned.

David

Yeah I got that... I was highlighting that because of normally low output is why the notable difference. That's one reason these headphones get bad reviews from V20 users. That and the basically flat response. I'm not a fan of muddy bass so I actually like them.
I wish they hadn't tinkered with the amp gain based on what's plugged except for external devices where you don't want to overdrive the preamp stage. Most headphones can handle the extra juice.

SupraLB

Oct 28, 2015
Visit site
Don't forget the phone also has Qualcomm's Apt-x HD, the only phone in NA to have it (along with LG's G5/6). Most bluetooth streamed is very weak quality, but this features higher than CD quality, high resolution files. I just wish there were more Apt-x HD speakers or receivers out there, but at least the phone is future proof. The regular Apt-x doesnt make much difference to my ears, but ive read the HD version is very noticeable.