Assistant in Canada

sswitzer

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
Following some comments in a Mobile Syrup article, as well as some other random pages, I managed to get Assistant working:

a) get beta versions of google play services and the google app, and then clear data for those apps (I'm not 100% convinced I needed to do the whole beta thing), and then,

b) change my system language from English (Canada) to English (US)

So I actually go this working... but then I realized that my usual "OK Google" functionality stopped working: I no longer could just say "OK Google" from the lock screen or any app screen. And then when I re-enabled that functionality (one of my favourite things my phone can do!), Assistant stopped working.

Is that normal for Assistant? Or is it just something that happened because I bypassed Google's Canada roll-out.

Thoughts?

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site
I'm rooted so I didn't get Assistant rolled out to me but if I say "Ok Google" then Assistant opens and if I say "Google now" to Assistant then it will open Google Now.

sswitzer

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
I'm rooted so I didn't get Assistant rolled out to me but if I say "Ok Google" then Assistant opens and if I say "Google now" to Assistant then it will open Google Now.
Even with your screen locked? (One if the smart lock options, I think)

Also, what is your language set to?

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site
Even with your screen locked? (One if the smart lock options, I think)

Also, what is your language set to?
From my lock screen, set to 'secured with fingerprints', I can say OK Google, phone will unlock and open Assistant.

I'm using English US. I am in the US and not Canada but I would think things should be working the same on Assistant.

sswitzer

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
From my lock screen, set to 'secured with fingerprints', I can say OK Google, phone will unlock and open Assistant.

I'm using English US. I am in the US and not Canada but I would think things should be working the same on Assistant.
Yeah, there's something about rolling out to Canada on a different timeline than the US.

Thanks for the info, though.

sswitzer

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
Actually it all seems good now. J changed my language back to English US again, cleared data, and rebooted. Puzzling.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucharmer