why no V20 security updates

Jeyd02

Mar 14, 2017
Visit site
You think they skip further patches for 7.0 and go straight 7.1?
Well, in terms of cost, if they can deploy 7.1 That's would be less time consuming and the cost will likely be less considering the 7.1 will have the patches included and perhaps more.

TNCattleDog

Dec 21, 2013
Visit site
Sad but true... as long as the majority of people are happy upgrading their phones every year or so, there is no incentive for OEM's and carriers to push out updates. It makes no business sense when peple are willing to spend money to get the "updates".

I have been an Android affecianodo since day one but I am beginning to think that (CR)apple has got it right when it comes to updates.

David

Jeyd02

Mar 14, 2017
Visit site
Sad but true... as long as the majority of people are happy upgrading their phones every year or so, there is no incentive for OEM's and carriers to push out updates. It makes no business sense when peple are willing to spend money to get the "updates".

I have been an Android affecianodo since day one but I am beginning to think that (CR)apple has got it right when it comes to updates.

David
Well, problem is manufacturers, they are the ones that needs to push those updates. That's why there are a lot of inconsistency. Google nexus and pixels are fine.

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Ambassador
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
LG is not known for their speed at releasing security patches. IF you always wanted the latest and greatest security AND otherwise, go Google and get the Nexus and now Pixel line! :)

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Well, problem is manufacturers, they are the ones that needs to push those updates. That's why there are a lot of inconsistency. Google nexus and pixels are fine.

More often than not its a carrier issue also that holds up the process.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Security updates are great. UI updates almost always create more problems than solutions. Look at the s7e threads where people want to bump their phones back out of Nougat to Marshmallow

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Security updates are great. UI updates almost always create more problems than solutions. Look at the s7e threads where people want to bump their phones back out of Nougat to Marshmallow

It doesn't mean they were bad .. a good mix of that is people just not liking change. I saw some beg for Android N and then were shocked things changed once they got it -- not sure what they expected :p.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
It doesn't mean they were bad .. a good mix of that is people just not liking change. I saw some beg for Android N and then were shocked things changed once they got it -- not sure what they expected :p.
They didn't expect worse battery life which is what they apparently got.

Surprising since Nougat is designed for better battery life.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
They didn't expect worse battery life which is what they apparently got.

Surprising since Nougat is designed for better battery life.

Well that I agree with but that is not what I am discussing .. I am simply saying many said "Give me!" , they got it, and are shocked .. It shows they didn't really know what they wanted. Also updates usually change things so one shouldn't expect a big update (ex: 5.0 to 6.0) to be the exact same as the previous one.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Well that's why I don't shout for updates (except the security kind). IME ui updates are annoying and cause problems. No question part of it is not liking change but often functions that I liked just disappear or don't work properly. I remember one update that screwed up led notifications. Another caused problems accessing the sd card. All sorts of issues. I don't care if my V20 ever gets 7.1 let alone 8. Just give me prompt security updates and I'm happy.

huungryshark

Jan 14, 2014
Visit site
would prefer security updates also, perfectly fine with 7.0 , everything working as expected as far as I'm aware of no need for 7.1 next 13 months or so. Just security patches every 3-6 months is enough for me.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Well that's why I don't shout for updates (except the security kind). IME ui updates are annoying and cause problems. No question part of it is not liking change but often functions that I liked just disappear or don't work properly. I remember one update that screwed up led notifications. Another caused problems accessing the sd card. All sorts of issues. I don't care if my V20 ever gets 7.1 let alone 8. Just give me prompt security updates and I'm happy.

And that is fine that is what you want but when manufacturers look at the majority -- majority want the latest.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
And that is fine that is what you want but when manufacturers look at the majority -- majority want the latest.
Oh I know that. I am recommending that folks might consider being less anxious to receive updates. I love buying a new phone. I hate updates.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2