Is V20 the best phablet?

brettt777

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
So, I've had a G2 for the last three years. Had allot of issues with it and swore I would never own another LG product. Well, last week it died completely. Bricked somehow. I spent three evenings tinkering with it and looking around online and managed to reload factory software, thought I had it fixed, it came on and looked like a new phone. Until I noticed the battery draining extremely fast and the thing started getting so hot I couldn't hold onto it. So, it's gone. I have wanted to upgrade for a while. I really wanted to go back to a Samsung device and liked the whole phablet, huge display thing. Well, the Note 5 is too old, the Note 6 went the way of the 1983 Corvette, the Note 7 blows up and the Note 8 won't be out till like, October. So I actually brought myself to take a look at another LG device. I have heard some good things about the V20. So I wanted to ask some peeps that actually have one and aren't sales people trying to make a commission.
So... is the V20 the next greatest thing in Phablets? There were actually a couple things about the LG UI that I liked better than the Samsung so maybe...?
Anyway, I actually had to go back to my old 6 year old Droid for a week (3G only but it actually worked, sort of) and then my wife felt sorry for me and let me use her Galaxy S4 for a few days while she uses her old S4 with the cracked screen. So I need to do something quick. I know it's kind of an objective, relative question but will I like this V20? Cuz once I get it, I'm stuck with it for a while.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central. I'm a V20 owner so I may be biased. As far as I'm concerned this is a great phone that pushes all my buttons but we are all different and it depends on what you want in a phone. I like the large screen, removable battery, dual cameras, secondary display and I especially love the Quad DAC.
I think depending on the carrier you might be able to try it out at no cost risk free or for a minimal fee.
If you have any specific questions please feel free to ask.
Also stop by our introductions section and introduce yourself if you haven't done so already. There are a lot of helpful, friendly people here.

Last edited:

rjl2

May 4, 2010
Visit site
If you're​ with a GSM carrier you may want to look at the Mate 9. I got the V20 at launch and used it on T-Mobile until early March when I picked up a Mate 9 on Swappa. Unless there's a feature on the V20 that you really need or want, the Mate 9 is a good alternative with a big screen, big battery and pretty good speakers. Screen res is only FHD, but unless you've got it side-by-side with a QHD phone it looks pretty good.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
So, I've had a G2 for the last three years. Had allot of issues with it and swore I would never own another LG product. Well, last week it died completely. Bricked somehow. I spent three evenings tinkering with it and looking around online and managed to reload factory software, thought I had it fixed, it came on and looked like a new phone. Until I noticed the battery draining extremely fast and the thing started getting so hot I couldn't hold onto it. So, it's gone. I have wanted to upgrade for a while. I really wanted to go back to a Samsung device and liked the whole phablet, huge display thing. Well, the Note 5 is too old, the Note 6 went the way of the 1983 Corvette, the Note 7 blows up and the Note 8 won't be out till like, October. So I actually brought myself to take a look at another LG device. I have heard some good things about the V20. So I wanted to ask some peeps that actually have one and aren't sales people trying to make a commission.
So... is the V20 the next greatest thing in Phablets? There were actually a couple things about the LG UI that I liked better than the Samsung so maybe...?
Anyway, I actually had to go back to my old 6 year old Droid for a week (3G only but it actually worked, sort of) and then my wife felt sorry for me and let me use her Galaxy S4 for a few days while she uses her old S4 with the cracked screen. So I need to do something quick. I know it's kind of an objective, relative question but will I like this V20? Cuz once I get it, I'm stuck with it for a while.

You won't be disappointed. I have been a Samsung guy for many, many years (starting with the Galaxy S2). I had a Note 3 before, but the huge screen was uncomfortable to use and hold with one hand. The V20 is much more slim and easier to hold. You will like the always on display 2nd screen, much better than LED notifications because you can see much more. The placement of the fingerprint scanner is excellent, and you'll have a load of joy with the wide angle cameras. The only thing you might not like is the automode on the camera, but with a little bit of tinkering with the manual mode you will learn to like it. The removable battery feels great to have. This always happens to me: after owning a Samsung phone for 8-12 months, the battery gets weaker and doesn't hold a charge too well. With removable batteries, you can swap it and it's good as new. The screen is not an AMOLED screen but it still looks beautiful; no more worrying about permanent screen burn in. The V20 is my favorite smartphone to date, but I still like Samsung just as equally.

lateck2

Sep 11, 2016
Visit site
I really like mine (V20).
I love the big screen and how I have had no problems. I had been a Samsung Note fan until they got rid of the changeable battery and SD card (Note 5). Came over to LG V10 and now the V20... Great device.

Lateck,

Kabana Lover

Dec 17, 2016
Visit site
same here G2 to V20.

I would put it this way: the majority of Samsung Note series users are show ponies who want to be cool with a big phone, but would know how to use a quarter of its features.

Whereas you will have many more V20 users who are more tech wise and will stretch the V20's legs and use it for its cool features like the QDac and really get into the manual camera mods.

Mrjoshua02

Oct 14, 2015
Visit site
I caved and got the V20 with the discounts AT&T was offering. Love it so far. Great features and a great form factor. Add to that the removable battery and expandable storage at I know this will be a fantastic device for at least the next year. I previously had the Note 5 and fell victim to poor battery life and Samsung slowdowns. It's also nice not to have such a fragile phone.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Dont believe so, battery life is still garbage. I would vote for mate 9 as the best phablet out right now

I am a heavy user and can kill any battery in no time. The V20 is decent on the stock battery and the beauty of this beast is that you can swap out batteries or add a bigger battery lasting 2 to 3 times as long as stock.

jmssarno

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site
My Nexus 6 was the champion (front stereo speakers rule) until the V20 dethroned it. Swapping out batteries, DAC, and the second screen has won me over for sure. I've had the V20 since it's release and I find myself discovering "new" things here and there.

I know the Galaxy S8, LG G6, and Pixel 2 are on the horizon. I'm gonna stick with my V20 and stay away from the "new phone hype" until I see what the V30 brings to the table.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
My Nexus 6 was the champion (front stereo speakers rule) until the V20 dethroned it. Swapping out batteries, DAC, and the second screen has won me over for sure. I've had the V20 since it's release and I find myself discovering "new" things here and there.

I know the Galaxy S8, LG G6, and Pixel 2 are on the horizon. I'm gonna stick with my V20 and stay away from the "new phone hype" until I see what the V30 brings to the table.

I'm with you.... Waiting to see what V30 does but if it's not a real upgrade I'm not jumping as long as the V20 performs.
I have to say that the G5 and V20 were the first phones I've ever owned that didn't lag after loading them up with apps.... My Motorola Droids always used to lag after awhile.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Hi! I would say the V20 (but I also really liked the V10) and the Mate 9 are really solid flagship phablet phones. If you purchase either of these, it's a good investment, IMO.

I'm a fan of Huawei, so even though I've used phones from each manufacturer, I'd probably try out the Mate 9 if I had to choose right now. But LG is really making good phones here - the V10, V20, and now the G6 are really good choices.

PS: Isn't the G6 a phablet as well, being as it's 5.7"? I've never owned a phablet - though they intrigue me - and I have small hands; so I guess most phones are phablets to me lool. 😜

Jeyd02

Mar 14, 2017
Visit site
Would you guys have been okay if v20's display was 1080 instead of 1440p? (for better battery choice) do you think the giving away the display it's a good tradeoff?

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Would you guys have been okay if v20's display was 1080 instead of 1440p? (for better battery choice) do you think the giving away the display it's a good tradeoff?

They only did it for specs so they can be on par with other flagships. I'm sure it would help save battery a little bit. Maybe it you root it?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2