my phone lags bad sometimes

ogio

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
on power up, the icons don't load for a long time. just wallpaper and task buttons on bottom.

lag sometimes switching apps. lag typing. it just seems to lag the more i multitask. trying to map things while checking internet for example. and when the phone really lags and i hit the home button, all the icons are gone and they reload, like if i had just powered up the phone.
i've tried some antivirus apps. and programs like clean master.
i dont clutter my phone with a bunch of apps. i have no games.
i really dont want to do a master reset, if i can avoid it.
ideas?

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Hi there.

Have you checked to see if any app is using up too much resources?

Sometimes, lag occurs if an app is using too much resources, which can sometimes cause other apps (including launchers) to be kicked out of memory, causing the home-screens to reload.

ogio

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Hi there.

Have you checked to see if any app is using up too much resources?

Sometimes, lag occurs if an app is using too much resources, which can sometimes cause other apps (including launchers) to be kicked out of memory, causing the home-screens to reload.
how do i check that?
this 'clean master' app is suppose to free up ram..

ogio

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Delete that app first of all. Android doesn't need memory cleaners, and they can actually make things worse.

i went through my app manager and disabled apps i dont use. deleted unused apps. this memory cleaner i installed recently as a last ditch effort.
my next step is to master reset, but i really dont want to go through the hassle of setting up my phone again.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
i went through my app manager and disabled apps i dont use. deleted unused apps. this memory cleaner i installed recently as a last ditch effort.
my next step is to master reset, but i really dont want to go through the hassle of setting up my phone again.
Sadly, that's probably the best way to go.

The V20 should have LG Backup. Use that to back up your stuff to external storage and then restore it after.

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site

Don't you think it's more of a hassle dealing with a phone that isn't working right??!? It would drive me insane!! You need to figure out whether you have a software or probable hardware fault with your device. Factory reseting is your first step. Good luck.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Delete that app first of all. Android doesn't need memory cleaners, and they can actually make things worse.

I agree. Cleaner and antivirus apps use up resources. Just use the smart clean feature to clean up the phone's cache. Don't install that many 3rd party apps.

ABOSWORTH007

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
It's probably a third party app. Factory reset will probably clear it up. It can be tricky to pin point an app that is not playing nicely. I think all Android phones experience a little bit of lag here and there. My experience with lag on the V20 is very limited. Not like my Samsung phones. TouchWiz is a complete lag fest.

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Not like my Samsung phones. TouchWiz is a complete lag fest.

Sadly, I can't believe this is still true! When they're nice and new, they are great but as time goes on, they seem to slow down! Happened with my S1, S2, S3, N3, N4. It has to be TW. I don't get these slow downs with any of my LG phones. With Samsung devices, I think the more you fill it up with photos and texts, it slows down. Has to be a TW thing!

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Sadly, I can't believe this is still true! When they're nice and new, they are great but as time goes on, they seem to slow down! Happened with my S1, S2, S3, N3, N4. It has to be TW. I don't get these slow downs with any of my LG phones. With Samsung devices, I think the more you fill it up with photos and texts, it slows down. Has to be a TW thing!

I could understand on some of the older phones because the processor were at times inadequate, but anything with an 820 and higher should be pretty fast.

ogio

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
today i was using navigation and opera browser at the same time. the phone froze. screen and icons were visible, but no buttons worked. i had to pull the battery to reboot it. lol
i had it plugged in charging while driving. and it felt somewhat warm. could my phone be overheating??

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
That was the older build of TouchWiz, which was very prone to lagging over time, especially on Lollipop 5.0.

My dad uses a Galaxy A5 2016 and it's surprisingly aged quite well. It's not a speed demon, that's for sure, but I'm kinda surprised that it hasn't turned into a lagfest yet.

Keep in mind it's over a year old and has absolutely zero factory resets

ogio

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
went to the verizon store today. i showed the verizon rep how long it takes for the phone to boot up. he said it seems to be a processor issue, and they are going to send me a new/refurbished device.

ogio

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
got the replacement today. phone seems to act the same. home screen icons keep reloading. takes long time to turn on and have home screen load. i should just go ahead and get the s8+ i was eyeing...

michail71

Feb 6, 2016
Visit site
That does not sound normal. My phone has always been fast and fluid, at least the AT&T version I have.

Had your restore completed?

muckrakerX

May 23, 2013
Visit site
got the replacement today. phone seems to act the same. home screen icons keep reloading. takes long time to turn on and have home screen load. i should just go ahead and get the s8+ i was eyeing...

Did you set your phone up as a new device, or transfer everything from your previous one?