Tried to go all day with one battery

donebrasko

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
I love LG and the reason I keep coming back is because of the software and phone design. But this battery thing is getting out of hand. I've had the G4 V10&v20 and I'm having the same battery issues with all of them. Battery runs crazy fast, and the charging is the exact opposite.

Today I tried to live on one battery. It's impossible. I spent most of my day in the car and it sits on the charger. When I'm out the car the battery drains. It's draining to the point where the charging can't keep up with the battery. I don't want to give up on this thing because it's the best phone or right now. (My opinion) but I've lost 3 percent typing this and it's charging. I'm at 77 and that's with it charging over an hour turned off.

And sensible advice. It's not the charger because it's done the same thing on all the devices and different chargers.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I know LG is very aggressive with throttling charge rates, especially with temps. If it even thinks about getting warm, the charging rate will plummet. That said, the only time I see it go down while plugged in is if the phone is actually getting hot (above 100°F or so) while gaming or running GPS. Just today while driving. I noticed my V20 was gaining about 1% every half hour until I got it under an a.c. vent to cool it down.

How does it charge with the screen off and cool? That's when you'll get quick charging rates of up to 1% per minute. Sometimes it takes a bit for it to speed up, but that'll be one way to tell if that's all that's going on. If it's still charging slow, then you either do have a problem with the charger or cable, or you've been extremely unlucky with phones having a defective port or something.

Ryano89

May 3, 2011
Visit site
90 degrees plugged in to fast charge and I still just lost a percent. Not even saying fast charging

If it still does it after a factory reset, then it's a bad battery, or a faulty phone. Hopefully the reset cures it, be careful about what you reinstall before you test it

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
90 degrees plugged in to fast charge and I still just lost a percent. Not even saying fast charging
That doesn't sound right. Even in the worst case, mine always says fast charging when plugged into my QC2.0 and 3.0 chargers. If you have those and they are not triggering the fast charge notification (including the OEM V20 charger, but not the earlier G4 OEM charger), then you're having a hardware problem somewhere.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
My V20 almost always last all day with moderate to light use. I usually keep the brightness low, bluetooth, data, and wifi off if I'm not issuing it. Also, I use this app called Greenify to shut down and hibernate unused apps. Also, I don't install Facebook or FB messenger.

SupraLB

Oct 28, 2015
Visit site
Tip: Facebook mobile through the browser looks just like the app in every way, but hardly uses any battery, and does not stalk you throughout the day.

Tip 2: The GPS in the LG phones are WEAK. Terribly weak. Always looking for a signal, in and out. Draining battery. Change your GPS to battery saving mode. Huge difference in battery life and just create a shortcut on your desktop to toggle GSP from high accuracy to low accuracy when you need it.

donebrasko

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Tip: Facebook mobile through the browser looks just like the app in every way, but hardly uses any battery, and does not stalk you throughout the day.

Tip 2: The GPS in the LG phones are WEAK. Terribly weak. Always looking for a signal, in and out. Draining battery. Change your GPS to battery saving mode. Huge difference in battery life and just create a shortcut on your desktop to toggle GSP from high accuracy to low accuracy when you need it.
I'll try the GPS thing although I use it a lot. With the apps no matter what I delete another app takes its place in usage and battery doesn't change.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
With the apps no matter what I delete another app takes its place in usage and battery doesn't change.
This is to be expected in a way. The usage stats show the percentage of the used battery amount attributed to an app.

Let's say you only have 2 apps running until the battery hit 50%, and both apps drained equally. The usage stat would show each one used 50% of the amount drained. Now you charge to 100% and uninstalled one app, then used the other app until the battery hit 50% again. This time the one app would show 100% usage because it was the only thing draining the battery.

That's obviously a simplistic example, but that's how it works. Those stats are basically a percentage of a percentage. As you delete apps, the relative amount used by the remaining ones will go up (and may cause new ones to appear) and vice versa.

donebrasko

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
This is to be expected in a way. The usage stats show the percentage of the used battery amount attributed to an app.

Let's say you only have 2 apps running until the battery hit 50%, and both apps drained equally. The usage stat would show each one used 50% of the amount drained. Now you charge to 100% and uninstalled one app, then used the other app until the battery hit 50% again. This time the one app would show 100% usage because it was the only thing draining the battery.

That's obviously a simplistic example, but that's how it works. Those stats are basically a percentage of a percentage. As you delete apps, the relative amount used by the remaining ones will go up (and may cause new ones to appear) and vice versa.
I understand that but wouldn't you think that the battery would last longer though?

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I understand that but wouldn't you think that the battery would last longer though?
Depends on what's actually causing the excessive drain. If it's something hardware related like a bad battery, weak tower signals, having the screen always on, etc., then it's possible to still have a quick drain.

For example, I just moved and get hardly any signal now. Since I don't have internet switched on yet, my battery drops like a rock when using it. It will even drop close to 20% overnight when it may only loose 1-2% overnight at my old place and on Wi-Fi.

donebrasko

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
I wish I could figure this out. I switched to another battery...... GPS is set to battery saver.

I guess next stop will be fb. I feel like it's Android that's sucking it

Attachments

• 164329.jpg
    164329.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 108

SupraLB

Oct 28, 2015
Visit site
What screen brightness do you use? Screen is always the biggest drain. If you are 80% or above , that does start to drain quick. 60-70 is good for me, unless i'm outdoors.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanran21