V30 rumored to have curved OLED screen

John_Cline

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
I'm all for the OLED display, it's the one thing I miss on the V20 from my previous Samsung phones, however, I really hope it's not curved. I had a curved screen on my ill-fated Galaxy Note 7 and I couldn't stand the way it distorted the top and bottom of full-screen videos and photos in the landscape mode. Also, the way that case manufacturers have to design cases for curved-screen phones, it leaves the edge of the screen susceptible to taking a direct hit and cracking. I've resigned myself to the fact that the V30 will probably lose the replaceable battery but I really don't want to see LG go down the curved display path.

http://phandroid.com/2017/04/19/lg-v30-curved-display-rumors/

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I'm all for the OLED display, it's the one thing I miss on the V20 from my previous Samsung phones, however, I really hope it's not curved. I had a curved screen on my ill-fated Galaxy Note 7 and I couldn't stand the way it distorted the top and bottom of full-screen videos and photos in the landscape mode. Also, the way that case manufacturers have to design cases for curved-screen phones, it leaves the edge of the screen susceptible to taking a direct hit and cracking. I've resigned myself to the fact that the V30 will probably lose the replaceable battery but I really don't want to see LG go down the curved display path.

http://phandroid.com/2017/04/19/lg-v30-curved-display-rumors/

I would hate to lose the removable battery and the flat screen. I don't even think the curved screens look nice at all.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
If I wanted a Samsung phone, I would've bought a Samsung phone. Looking at their curved screens is like watching an old tv with a fold over problem. Grrrrr.

kramer5150

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
catering to the masses... YUK!!

If I want a Samsung or an iPhone I would buy one. I would not spend ~$750 (assuming it would be priced similarly to others) on some clone trying to replicate what others have already done.

Honestly / frankly... I don't like the overall direction the Android cell phone industry is going. The latest new Android devices are starting to make iPhones (and the accessory market surrounding them) look more desirable.

Last edited:

Guyinbox

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
I'm fine with the curved screen as long as it's subtle (more like the s8 and less like the s7e.) Oled screens are much better than LG's lcd's so that would be a welcome change. What i won't go for is the loss of the replaceable battery, which seems likely to happen with the curved screen and the g6's design. I'm not sure they could keep the military drop rating with the curved screen either, which is one thing i love compared to me s7e.

If the v30 goes the Samsung route, I'm not sure who else will produce a phablet with a replaceable battery, 64gb of storage and an ir blaster. I could very well be holding onto my v20 for a few years.

ABOSWORTH007

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
I think the curved screens look cool but that's about it. I had an S7 Edge and it was a great looking phone but honestly, the curved edges were annoying, especially without a case on the phone. Before I got a case, I was constantly touching the screen when I didn't really want to be.

I wouldn't take this to heart just yet. It's just a rumor.

Jeremiah Bonds

Trusted Member
Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
I was hoping for a display similar to the G6. Not sure I want to bite the OLED bullet, unless they figure out how to stop the burn in, which.... You know how that goes.

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
But whyyy?!?!? Damn you Samsung and your curved displays!!!!!!!!

Lol....I guess we're being forced to assimilate.

jmssarno

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site
Hopefully this rumor will be just that, a rumor... The V series needs to continue improving on what it has started with the 10, going forward.

If I want a curved screen and sealed back, I would go with Samsung.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Hopefully this rumor will be just that, a rumor... The V series needs to continue improving on what it has started with the 10, going forward.

If I want a curved screen and sealed back, I would go with Samsung.

That call it an infinity screen... Give me a break.... Like it's a pool or something.... Nothing infinite about it.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I really hope not. I prefer the IPS screen, it's way better in my opinion. The V20 design was perfect to me, they shouldn't try to get people to buy their phones by having curved displays. I understand the benefits of AMOLED screens, but IPS is more practical for me (for example, leaving the screen on when using navigation, no need to worry about burn in). Please, I hope they stick with metal, I REALLY don't want glass back. Heck, I'll be fine with a plastic back as long as it's durable and or removable. If they do change, I'll be keeping my V20 for another 4 years.

jmssarno

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site
I really hope not. I prefer the IPS screen, it's way better in my opinion. The V20 design was perfect to me, they shouldn't try to get people to buy their phones by having curved displays. I understand the benefits of AMOLED screens, but IPS is more practical for me (for example, leaving the screen on when using navigation, no need to worry about burn in). Please, I hope they stick with metal, I REALLY don't want glass back. Heck, I'll be fine with a plastic back as long as it's durable and or removable. If they do change, I'll be keeping my V20 for another 4 years.

Ditto.... Let's see what the V30 brings. Hopefully LG will just keep the current trend going with it's V series.

PAC757

Trusted Member
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Ditto.... Let's see what the V30 brings. Hopefully LG will just keep the current trend going with it's V series.

Me too, I do not want any curved or "edge"screen. I used my daughter's S7 Edge and that phone drove me crazy, I don't see how you can not keep from accidentally hitting the edge. That and edge to edge screens with no side bezel, I wouldn't mind if they keep the screen flat and go with AMOLED or OLED BUT PLEASE leave the curved edges to Samsung.

Ntchwaidumela

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
If I wanted a Samsung phone, I would've bought a Samsung phone. Looking at their curved screens is like watching an old tv with a fold over problem. Grrrrr.

I totally agree! If I wanted a Samsung device, I wouldn't have chosen LG. I'm perfectly happy with my V20, and I hope they don't follow Samsung's approach.

Ejjba

Dec 25, 2015
Visit site
Just a note. We have a v20, my wife's, and I have a cheap Samsung J3. My screen is as sharp as hers, so I am all for Amoled screen. Don't need the curves. Love removeable battery.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon