so what happens if I want a note 8 when they come out but I have a 2 year contract with my v20?

Joeykool

Dec 29, 2015
Visit site
In the beginning, samsung says we could get the new note 8 when available and return current phone. But then announced not in US....Ugh.

So since the battery life has took a giant turn for the worse after the last update (same exact thing happened with my V10 after an update). If I want to jump to a note 8, what happens?

Last edited:

lateck2

Sep 11, 2016
Visit site
In the beginning, samsung says we could get the new note 8 when available and return current phone. But then announced not in US....Ugh.

So since the battery life has took a giant turn for the worse after the last update (same exact thing happened with my V10 after an update). If I want to jump to a note 8, what happens?

You buy out your contract? That seems like the only road unless you have a unique program (?)

Lateck,

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Which carrier?

ABOSWORTH007

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
You have a 2 year contract with AT&T? I thought they did away with those? Typically, you don't have a contract but you finance the phone through them. It ends up costing about the same per month but you get to trade in your phone every 12, 18 or 24 months depending on what plan you choose. Last I knew, they were shying away from 2 year contracts. For me, I usually pick the finance plan where I can upgrade every 12 months. I usually last about 6 to 8 months on a phone and then upgrade. I just pay off what I owe on the trade in value and then upgrade. Ideally, I'd be on Tmobile Jump but Tmobile is not a prominent carrier in my area and the coverage is not great.

Joeykool

Dec 29, 2015
Visit site
You have a 2 year contract with AT&T? I thought they did away with those? Typically, you don't have a contract but you finance the phone through them. It ends up costing about the same per month but you get to trade in your phone every 12, 18 or 24 months depending on what plan you choose. Last I knew, they were shying away from 2 year contracts. For me, I usually pick the finance plan where I can upgrade every 12 months. I usually last about 6 to 8 months on a phone and then upgrade. I just pay off what I owe on the trade in value and then upgrade. Ideally, I'd be on Tmobile Jump but Tmobile is not a prominent carrier in my area and the coverage is not great.

Oh yeah...I think that is what it is. 24 month. I'm on my fiance's plan so I wasnt sure. She gets a discount where she works with AT&T so we switched from Verizon back in November I think? Then I had to turn in my note 7 recall and I waited till the release of the v20. I wish I would have took a year instead of 2. Ugh

ABOSWORTH007

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Oh yeah...I think that is what it is. 24 month. I'm on my fiance's plan so I wasnt sure. She gets a discount where she works with AT&T so we switched from Verizon back in November I think? Then I had to turn in my note 7 recall and I waited till the release of the v20. I wish I would have took a year instead of 2. Ugh

Oh, okay. I was gonna say, I'm pretty sure they don't even offer the old 2 year contract plans anymore. With the 1 year plan, you pay more per month but it's worth it if you like to upgrade frequently. I used to keep my phones for 2 years back when they had the 2 year contract plans but ever since I switched to the newer style, I upgrade every 6 months to a year. Lol. If you want to upgrade sooner, all you need to do is pay extra on the device. You could literally just start a savings account and put an extra 10-20 bucks a month in it and then use it to pay off to the trade in value when you go to get the next Note.

Dirtymike14

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
Oh, okay. I was gonna say, I'm pretty sure they don't even offer the old 2 year contract plans anymore. With the 1 year plan, you pay more per month but it's worth it if you like to upgrade frequently. I used to keep my phones for 2 years back when they had the 2 year contract plans but ever since I switched to the newer style, I upgrade every 6 months to a year. Lol. If you want to upgrade sooner, all you need to do is pay extra on the device. You could literally just start a savings account and put an extra 10-20 bucks a month in it and then use it to pay off to the trade in value when you go to get the next Note.

If only Canada would follow suit by doing away with 2 year contracts...

kramer5150

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
Its not really a contract (in the old definition of the term)... you're just slowly paying for the device over 2 years on installments. Pretty sure you will have to just pay out whatever is left. Either way, the carrier is going to get their $$$ out of you. Thats just the way it goes.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
It's a payment plan on the device. Pay it off and you can start another payment plan.

AtTheHop

Nov 20, 2016
Visit site
I paid 299 out right for my V20 on verizon and agreed to an additional 2 years on my contract. I have 5 phones on my service so I am not going anywhere. Plus all those other carriers (T-Mobile, Sprint, etc) service suck unless your near their towers which are far and few in between. Everyone I know who fell for their promos are sorry.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I paid 299 out right for my V20 on verizon and agreed to an additional 2 years on my contract. I have 5 phones on my service so I am not going anywhere. Plus all those other carriers (T-Mobile, Sprint, etc) service suck unless your near their towers which are far and few in between. Everyone I know who fell for their promos are sorry.
Which means you can't buy a phone on that line with a two-year contract discount or on a device payment plan. Your only option with that line until those two years to get a new phone is buying one out right.

Last edited:

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
The 299 was with a 2 year discount. No payment plan but I wanted the V20 and not an iPhone which was cheaper.

Which means you can't buy another phone on that line with a two-year contract discount or on a device payment plan.

Your only option with that line until those two years to get a new phone is buying one out right.

Also, this will be the last two-year contract for that line...

AtTheHop

Nov 20, 2016
Visit site
Thats fine, life goes on. I will make the best decision forme when that time comes. I may just keep the v20 for a longer time since it has a removable battery and accomdates an additional sd card which is all I need.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kaeros85