Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Default Re: [ how to ] root the lg viper

I just wanted to thank you for this. It worked and it was easy to use

If rageagainstthecage is working, then this is the dumbest **** ever. LG is completely in the wrong here, if rage is working then this is not really 2.3.7. rage was patched long before 2.3.7 was released. The whole point of "newer versions" is enhancements, stability and security patches. It's like the cherry picked a few things and called it good.

Fyi you guys owe your root to Sebastian Krahmer, he is the author of the rageagainstthecage exploit , kick him a donation if you appreciate it.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #53  

Global Posts
    1,532 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Rooted Mk3

Quote Originally Posted by jcase View Post
    If rageagainstthecage is working, then this is the dumbest **** ever. LG is completely in the wrong here, if rage is working then this is not really 2.3.7. rage was patched long before 2.3.7 was released. The whole point of "newer versions" is enhancements, stability and security patches. It's like the cherry picked a few things and called it good.

Fyi you guys owe your root to Sebastian Krahmer, he is the author of the rageagainstthecage exploit , kick him a donation if you appreciate it.
    Yea LG left it wide open but I can assured you this is gingerbread 2.3.7. Besides it will probably be fixed when its upgraded to ICS sometimes later this year.

Tux it letting me know it was sebastians exploit its been so long since I use it I forgot who found the exploit.

Sent from my LS670 using Android Central Forums
    Current Laptop - Samsung Ativ 4 Book, Ivy Bridge I7 @ 2.00GHz per Core, 8GB DDR3 Ram, Intel HD 4000, 750GB SATA

Please don't thank me unless I have helped you in some way, if you like my post then click like not thanks.

Check out my github @ https://github.com/gollum18 or My Android Applications @ http://lrdev.net76.net

I have searched and can't seem to find superoneclick v2.3.3.0 or rageagainstthecage-arm5 exploit.
    Does anyone have these files or a link to them?

Woah, awesome to see ShabbyPenguin on this thread!!

Hope you are staying on to help us get this baby going. Just bought one for my son, he is loving it!

For the ones new to ShabbyPenguin, he has done is is doing some awesome work for the Photon, really pushing the development there.

ROM Developer

Quote Originally Posted by liggy View Post
    Woah, awesome to see ShabbyPenguin on this thread!!

Hope you are staying on to help us get this baby going. Just bought one for my son, he is loving it!

For the ones new to ShabbyPenguin, he has done is is doing some awesome work for the Photon, really pushing the development there.

lol i made a kernel once for it not a very good one at that :P (granted all of jokers kernels are based off of mine... but still) and i helped out with cm7/cm9 thats all :P

didnt do a bunch of work on there like everyone seems to think :P
    Webchat support for the Official Unloved Devices Hit Squad
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------

If I've helped you then please buy me a beer

Just wanted to note that I said previously I used Super Manager to delete the Sprint apps I didn't want. I was incorrect, it didn't work fully on the free version of that app.

However, there is a free app called "Android Mate" that will allow you to delete the bloatware. Just make sure and delete both the .apk and the .odex to fully wipe it off your phone.

I booted into recovery did a factory reset. I am stuck in recovery. I need to get a custom rom. Does anyone have any for this phone? I did not make a backup so even if there is not a custom rom I need to get the stock rom does anyone have this? Thanks
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #59  

Global Posts
    1,532 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Rooted Mk3

Quote Originally Posted by adamsse View Post
    I booted into recovery did a factory reset. I am stuck in recovery. I need to get a custom rom. Does anyone have any for this phone? I did not make a backup so even if there is not a custom rom I need to get the stock rom does anyone have this? Thanks
    Did you flash one of the custom recoverys?

Where are the custom recoverys? I have some for my old phone but not for this one.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #61  

Global Posts
    1,532 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Rooted Mk3

Shabby penguin posted them in this thread somewhere, but the official recovery is on rom manager.

ROM Developer

do not use any recovery on rom manager until i can actually get one going for you guys. i still need the files in order to make it

Yes, I noticed the irony of posting this DIRECTLY after shabbypenguin's post ... HOWEVER....

I was able to root my LG VIPER quickly and easily ( THANK YOU gollum18) However I attempted to flash and install a new ROM and I believe I have bricked it. It cant boot/ stuck on LG logo screen. I can get into CWM but only AFTER I hold power/volume down key and do a factory reset. I have managed to installed a Recovery fix / PC36IMG/LG universal drivers/ Rage exploit zip files to the SD card by using a mini to micro SD/ USB adapter and installing them onto my desktop. I have found them in the CWM -INSTALL ZIP from SDcard- but I continue to receive boot img and kennel errors. I cannot reboot, it just freezes.

Show LOG: Failed to open /sys/class/android_usb/android0/s
    Tate: no such file or directory
    fd:7
    ev:441
    ev:1 114 0
    ev:0 0 0
    fd:6
    ev:1 107 1
    fd:6
    ev:0 0 0
    failed to open sys/class/android_usb/android0/s
    tate:no such file

Vortex rom- initiating kernel- Assert failed: write_raw_image("/tmp/boot.img","boot")
    E:error in /sdcard/download/vortex_GB-v2.9.zip

Main error when I attempt a CWM restore/ advanced restore is: MD5 sums... MD5 mismatch

Did I completely brick it? Is there a way to return to stock rom? is there a way to still put a custom ROM on? Is there a way to remove CWM from -install zip from SDCARD-? I deleted all the bloatware with the root and wasn't "totally" disappointed with the stock rom but I want ICS! Can I get a link to an ICS ROM and will it work on the LG Viper?

Thx for your expertise
    Last edited by Presto.keet; 06-11-2012 at 08:03 PM. Reason: error code

ROM
    cyanogenmod 7.2

What New Rom?

We attempted 2. First- Hydro ROM and second Vortex ROM ( I had a Droid X be4 the LG VIPER)

ROM
    cyanogenmod 7.2

COOL!
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #67  

Global Posts
    1,532 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Rooted Mk3

Ohh you guys tried hydro on the viper nice. Drew and team hydro did a great job on that rom I was running it but switched to cai

Sent from my LG-LS670 using Android Central Forums
    ROM Developer

no, what it sounds like is he grabbed roms off another phone and decided it would be a good idea to flash them on his viper...

what are good roms for the lg viper or are there not any out yet? also is there a way to remove that Sprint ID icon from the bottom of the screen?

ROM
    Hydrokernel on Optimus S

Quote Originally Posted by coreag View Post
    what are good roms for the lg viper or are there not any out yet? also is there a way to remove that Sprint ID icon from the bottom of the screen?
    Yeah, install a new launcher! I'm using Holo launcher.

I really hope development for this phone moves forward. After having cracked the screen on an uninsured Nexus S4G that was nicely running CM9, for what ever reason the radio just stopped working on it several weeks later. Not sure whether its related to the screen or not, I think it just failed. Long story short after hours upon hours of trouble shooting, I now find myself with a Viper.

Things I noticed:

1. I was on Verizon and owned an LG Ally from the time they first released it and all the way through it's development cycle. To this date, my brother-in-law still uses the phone. Trident and the Velocity team did an excellent job of turning an under-powered phone into something great. The good points of the Ally were its display, sturdy construction, and (eventually through many ROMs developed) extremely long battery life. LG does really build good phones, with good hardware. They need some work in the software department though, and that's where hopefully the developers will step in on this phone.

The Vipers display is amazing!

2. My Nexus S4G had a terrible 3G connection. On my best of days, until only the most recent radio updates, my 3G speeds would be 500-600 download.

The Viper out of the box was getting 2.2 - 2.7m download.

3. My Nexus S4G running CM9 and over clocked to 1.9g only ever saw a quadrant score of 1800-2000.

The Viper out of the box is scoring around 2800-3200.

I have no plans to root this phone yet. i dont like to root until there is a clear and relatively easy path to not only rooting, but returning to stock as well. I really hope you guys keep working on this phone. Thanks its been a good read so far.

$nerd = null;
    if (!isset ($nerd)) {
    $stateofbeing = 'fabulous';
    }
    else {
    $stateofbeing = 'a total nerd';
    }
    echo "Sandra is " . $stateofbeing . "!"
    dakota.breeden likes this.

Just wanted to say thanks! This guide worked like a charm for me!

After that, I was able to apply the tether and wallet hacks (from various other devices, for more info, pm) with no problems. Just had to work out what settings to use in wifi tether to get it to work right. Thank goodness my ns4g isn't the only internet coming into the place anymore.. lol (long story).

Thanks again!

~WickiD~

Does anyone know how to unbrick the viper

So, I was able to root my phone over a month ago with no problems by following the guide the OP posted. The phone works great and I dumped off a ton of crap programs and added some nice tools to the phone due to the root.

I'm experiencing one problem, though, and you may have touched upon it in your early replies:
    If the phone turns off at all, when it turns back on, it gets stuck in a loop and I have to pull the battery several times before it'll be functional again. I get past both LG screens at start-up, but then it just gets stuck. I had the misfortune of dropping the phone at work today, the battery fell out, and it took me three hours to get the phone to be useful again.

What, if anything, can I do to overcome this issue?
  25. Thread Author  Thread Author    #75  

Global Posts
    1,532 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Rooted Mk3

I have never experienced this problem before but to fix it try going into recovery and wiping your caches.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast