[ how to ][root][GB] root the lg viper GB/ics

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
GB ROOTED ONLY HERE {*-* thx to uvstr36, we know that "voodoo ota root keeper" - search in play store - will work to keep root with ICS. *-* Note - must be rooted on GB for it to work.}

Here's a link to the ICS root thread for those interested.
http://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?t=221448

FIRST: Go read my brick warning post, it explains a known method of bricking the viper and how to avoid it.

DISCLAIMER: If you dont know what root is I highly suggest you find out before you do this to your phone. Doing so WILL VOID your phones warranty. I am not responsible if you brick/destroy your phone. Please know what you are doing before you try this.

After 2 days of method after method I have succeeded in rooting the viper.

First) Make sure you have lgs universal drivers installed.

Second) Make sure you have .net framework 4.0 installed.

Third) Make sure you have superoneclick v2.3.3.0 installed.

Third) Download the rageagainstthecage-arm5 exploit.

Fourth) Go to where you installed superoneclick and place the exploit in the folder labeled "Exploits".

Fifth) Open superoneclick and on the upper right where it says exploits, change it to the rageagainstthecage exploit.

Sixth) Plug the phone into USB on charge only with USB debugging on.

Seventh) Click on "SHELL ROOT" first, it will hang but will gain shell root, close superoneclick when it hangs or freezes, next reopen superoneclick change to ratc, and click "ROOT". ( May or may not be needed try just clicking root 1st you'll save a step, my PC is dated. )

Eighth) Confirm that su was installed by opening the app drawer on your phone.

Ninth) Confirm the binary was installed by going to Superuser->"Menu Key"->Preferences-> then scroll down to where it says update binary, if it doesnt say vnull then you have the binary installed.

Tenth) Update the binary to its latest version 3.0.3.2

NOTES:

-For some reason busybox doesnt install, use busybox installer from market install 1.18.2

THX to Sebastian Kramer for the exploit.

UPDATE: Project Panda custom recovery is now released head over to it and flash it with instructions in op, THX to mynameisnigel.

Last edited:

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Re: [ how to ] root the lg viper

Heres the PROOF!:)

ratc.JPG

IMG_20120502_153000.jpg

IMG_20120502_153041.jpg

1335987157631.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Shabbypenguin

Shabbypenguin

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site

how.. how the hell did ratc work? that was blocked when gb came out. we have been sitting in irc waiting for someone to join with an lg viper so that we could try various exploits. i already have cwm build for teh device just needed to exploit it

Mista_J

May 12, 2011
Visit site

Did you figure out how to flash CWM, and is it possible for you to unroot?

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
I didn't try unroot but superoneclixk has it built in, go ahead and try it, ill post some screenies later have to get ready to go to school. Also would you care to post cwm.

I believe it worked because it is the zvc baseband because zergrush, gingerbreak, and gingersnap did not work. ill explain the rest later.

Last edited:

Shabbypenguin

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site

no what your not understanding is rageagainstthecage targets adbd, it finds out how many shells your phone can handle and spawns that many plus one... causing it to crash and give you root shell in that one more. this was a HUGE bug and the crappy part for oem's was the only person who could patch it was google, and they did in gingerbread. from there they started to apply the patch back to some froyo phones which is why phones like the optimus s worked iwth z4root and then had to switch to gingerbreak.

and im well aware of what didnt work, my team had access to a viper months before launch to try and root it and get cwm going (we did but they got an ota blocking teh root we used)

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
As far as flashing cwm I'm almost positive you can flash it by using terminal emulator and a root browser. But well have to wait until a recovery is released to flash and test it.

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Well i know that ratc works. Period
Btw I've had the opti s since it was first released( I'm posting from it now) z4root never worked for me it just crashed the phone.
Don't test it if u don't believe ill be posting screenshots.
And didn't you just told you were sitting on irc waiting for someone who had the viper to join( which you claimed to have exclusive access to before it was released) don't contradict yourself

Last edited:

Shabbypenguin

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site

if your claims are true then you can use a batch script to flash cwm. i dont have the device i said my team had access to one pre release but the did an ota to block the root we had. i didnt say we still had the viper.

Clockwork Mod Recovery - Android Forums
[ROOT] Flashable Odin tar - Android Forums
Clockwork Recovery 5.5.0.4 - Android Forums
Root and Recovery - Android Forums
[ROOT][T769] Rooted kernel for Blaze 4G :: 4/9/12 - xda-developers
[CWM] Clockworkmod Recovery for the Samsung Blaze 4G - xda-developers

i have the title rom builder because i earned it, believe it or not i actually know what im doing. i dont have access to a viper currently, hence my disbelief and not testing it myself.

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
if your claims are true then you can use a batch script to flash cwm. i dont have the device i said my team had access to one pre release but the did an ota to block the root we had. i didnt say we still had the viper.

Clockwork Mod Recovery - Android Forums
[ROOT] Flashable Odin tar - Android Forums
Clockwork Recovery 5.5.0.4 - Android Forums
Root and Recovery - Android Forums
[ROOT][T769] Rooted kernel for Blaze 4G :: 4/9/12 - xda-developers
[CWM] Clockworkmod Recovery for the Samsung Blaze 4G - xda-developers

i have the title rom builder because i earned it, believe it or not i actually know what im doing. i dont have access to a viper currently, hence my disbelief and not testing it myself.

Sorry for getting offended, which recovery is the right one for the viper.

Shabbypenguin

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site

well you could use the connect one just fine or the lucid one (the installer wont work for ya tho, id have to edit it or do it manually). if you could do me a favor and in terminal emulator do the following command?

dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p8 of=/sdcard/boot.img

and upload that?

sorry for getting teste its just ratc was blocked with the release of gingerbread and for it to suddenly work seems fishy. but overall glad it worked out :)

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
well you could use the connect one just fine or the lucid one (the installer wont work for ya tho, id have to edit it or do it manually). if you could do me a favor and in terminal emulator do the following command?

dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p8 of=/sdcard/boot.img

and upload that?

sorry for getting teste its just ratc was blocked with the release of gingerbread and for it to suddenly work seems fishy. but overall glad it worked out :)

Will do

Shabbypenguin

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site

rom manager and quickboot work fine for recovery, the hard reset will cause the phone to detect cwm and get in a cwm loop, i had a delooper zip you can flash but its best to avoid using those buttons

i have a test cwm script that will install busybox (drockstars awesome one :) and root ya using teh newest su/superuser.apk

Last edited:

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Congrats

Hey shabby I tried flashing the recovery through term emulator and it says "error scanning partitions: no such file or durectiry exists" this is what I entered

Flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery.img

I have flash_image in bin already any ideas?

Last edited:

Mista_J

May 12, 2011
Visit site

Hey Gollum18, do you mind if I reference your root guide on Android Forums?