[ how to ][root][GB] root the lg viper GB/ics

MrDroid

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Re: [ how to ][updated] root the lg viper

Thanks gollum18! So far everything is working. I have cwm installed. It got stuck on reboot from recovery after running backup, but holding volume down and power button I was able to restart phone. I hope I do not have problems down the road. Thanks for all of your work.

thenameisnigel

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site

Thanks gollum18! So far everything is working. I have cwm installed. It got stuck on reboot from recovery after running backup, but holding volume down and power button I was able to restart phone. I hope I do not have problems down the road. Thanks for all of your work.

No thanks to me I guess? :p Lol, j/p.

nateloc

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site

Hey some advice do NOT boot into any recovery using the hardware buttons as u will only get an option to do a factory reset. With a custom recovery installed this will only SB ur phone, a new security measure LG has implimented to prevent modders/devs from accessing root access. Always use a root app or reboot app to get into recovery. Trust me, I soft-bricked my viper a....couple of times before I figured that one out. Happy modding!

Sent from my LG-LS840 using Tapatalk 2

wormy987123

flashaholic
Aug 31, 2011
Visit site

Hey some advice do NOT boot into any recovery using the hardware buttons as u will only get an option to do a factory reset. With a custom recovery installed this will only SB ur phone, a new security measure LG has implimented to prevent modders/devs from accessing root access. Always use a root app or reboot app to get into recovery. Trust me, I soft-bricked my viper a....couple of times before I figured that one out. Happy modding!

Not true, volume down and power take you to a factory reset menu, volume up and power it's recovery

thenameisnigel

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site

And my recovery doesn't brick you. You've just stepped on a lot of toes my friend. :)

Last edited:

nateloc

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site

Actually I didn't step on anyone's toes. I just use a reboot app and no your recovery doesn't soft brick the phone. Instead of being pretentious u could read into my post and see the error that I myself made. And until there is a recovery that can properly do a Nand without an md5 mismatch get over yourself. Props for the recovery on a still experimental device, shut your mouth on the accusational statements.

cwolf06

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site

Thanks this helped a lot had to restore phone to get it to work and run the root twice but every thing is running smoothly thanks alot keep up the work cant wait for ICS

n0ve

May 12, 2012
Visit site

Actually I didn't step on anyone's toes. I just use a reboot app and no your recovery doesn't soft brick the phone. Instead of being pretentious u could read into my post and see the error that I myself made. And until there is a recovery that can properly do a Nand without an md5 mismatch get over yourself. Props for the recovery on a still experimental device, shut your mouth on the accusational statements.

Easy with the language, we've been there and don't tolerate it here, nigel has been a lifesaver for this community, His statement of you stepping on a lot of toes, A- by definition is surely not pretentious, and b- 100% true, your's on the other hand, no need to tell someone dedicating time and effort who doesn't even OWN a viper, to shut their mouth. Stick around and sharpen up, or go elsewhere.

lmoore55

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site

Please take your 5 posts and just leave. There are some people working hard to get the bugs out of the "experimental" custom recovery we have and Nigel is working harder at that than anyone. We do not need anyone around here that is rude and inconsiderate about someone taking their free time and spending it to make our device better.

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site

Not to interrupt the conversation here, but can anyone who's willing to sacrifice root test to see if the method still works, I'm pretty sure it won't I'd just like to know so I can get to work on a workaround:p

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

MrDroid

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site

No thanks to me I guess? :p Lol, j/p.

I'm sorry nigel that I did not include you in my thanks, but thank you very much for all that you have done as well! I am not on here as much as others but reading other posts I see that you have been a big help and do not even have a Viper...that is very commendable!

crashfactoryx

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site

trying to root using the method described in the OP (same as I used to root GB), but I get to shell root step #5 and it crashes when rooting....I get SU, but it won't update...tried the XDA-ICS root, but it failed also...any ideas?

trailz

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site

switching back to zvd. not impressed by ics.

i plan on trying to root just to get rid of some bloatware, then gonna just hang out there for awhile. i have a question about using the exploit though.

when i extract the rageagainstthecage. do i put all the files into the exploit folder or just the rageagainstthecage-arm5 . bin file in there?

also any other dos or don'ts? i read about the recovery stuff, and just not 100% on whats going on there, im just gonna stick to de-bloating the stock rom
thanks in advance

wickid_d

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
Re: [ how to ][updated][ICS now] root the lg viper

switching back to zvd. not impressed by ics.

i plan on trying to root just to get rid of some bloatware, then gonna just hang out there for awhile. i have a question about using the exploit though.

when i extract the rageagainstthecage. do i put all the files into the exploit folder or just the rageagainstthecage-arm5 . bin file in there?

also any other dos or don'ts? i read about the recovery stuff, and just not 100% on whats going on there, im just gonna stick to de-bloating the stock rom
thanks in advance

You just need the .bin file if I remember right. As for recovery, a handful of people are still working on it, but I've yet to see any fully working results. Then again, it's been a while since I've been on either ac or af forums - that's actually what I came to check out, but saw your post and stopped by to respond. :)

~WickiD~

trailz

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site

thanks for the quick reply i greatly appriciate it!

** back to zvd now and rooted!:D

Last edited:

wickid_d

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site

So ics ota's been released?? When did that happen? (and furthermore, why hasn't my girl's phone prompted for an update yet?..) lol