First Impressions???

mij9895

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
I've had the Viper for a little over a week now. The battery life is decent, better than my Evo Shift. The display is crystal clear for a 480x800 resolution. It's a fast little phone, and the SVDO (Simultaneous Voice with EVDO data) is awesome to have. I missed that feature coming from at&t with an iPhone 4 when I got my Evo Shift a little over a year ago.

prolongExistence

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
Bought this for my wife, was one of the pre-orders, so she's had it since day 1. She loves it although the battery life isn't fantastic. But, it was never advertised as having great battery life, Sprint says it has 7hrs talk time. I would say on average, she gets 8-12 hours out of a full charge.

Also bought her this case which is a really nice, protective case.

Mista_J

May 12, 2011
Visit site
Bought this for my wife, was one of the pre-orders, so she's had it since day 1. She loves it although the battery life isn't fantastic. But, it was never advertised as having great battery life, Sprint says it has 7hrs talk time. I would say on average, she gets 8-12 hours out of a full charge.

Also bought her this case which is a really nice, protective case.

Check out this case! This may be the best way to buy it. I've got the black and gray one and this case is on the same level as the Otterbox.

Last edited:

prolongExistence

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site

I guess its a matter of preference. Seems the same under the hood so really it just depends on whether you prefer a horizontal keyboard or a virtual keyboard. Personally, I'm not a fan of either which is why I have the Admiral. Another thing to think about is that by having a slider you now have moving parts that can potentially cause problems. Coming from both of us having the HP/Palm Pre with its notorious slider problems (the oreo) I may be hesitant to get another slider.

Nice find though. Nice to see more LTE devices coming!

mij9895

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
so you don't have the charging and battery problems that allot of the reviewers had on the sprint website?

If you do excessive downloading of apps and internet browsing then the battery will take a big hit. But since my download speeds are still slow during the day, I don't use the internet on my phone that much, and when I do it's on a charger. But I haven't had the problems other people are complaining about.

prolongExistence

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
so you don't have the charging and battery problems that allot of the reviewers had on the sprint website?

While I'll say the battery life is pretty sad, it's probably on par with 75% of the smartphones out there. Sprint says the battery has 7hrs talk time & I'd say a charge probably lasts about 8-12 hrs of talk, text, & internet.

As far as the charging problems that ppl are reporting in the reviews, no, my wife hasn't experienced any of that.

n0ve

May 12, 2012
Visit site
There will absolutely be roms soon enough, I've been through this...previously I owned a ZTE Warp (Boost Mobile), bought it the day it was released....waited patiently and as of today, there is finally overclocking, multiple roms, and many other features. Regardless, I went back to sprint contract phone and got the viper 3 days ago, extremely happy with it so far...and the source code for the kernel is already public, therefore once more people get their hands on this phone , ROMS will be available in a hurry, im hoping for some awesome overclocking ;\...

n0ve

May 12, 2012
Visit site
I have same battery problem as well as overheating..got up to 120 f ...otherwise can't complain...plenty of ram...fast...the built in quick note / screenshot is awesome...screen resolution is a bit low but I'm okay with it..going to buy an extended battery...can't wait for a working cwm so i can experiment safely and theme it..overclock and roms shouldn't be to long of a wait i believe lg already released kernel source...overall for free..very pleased with phone.

Sent from my LG-LS840 using Tapatalk 2

n0ve

May 12, 2012
Visit site
Got mine fully replaced in store beyond 30 days. They are aware of overheating/battery issue and will replace it if you ask.

mij9895

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site

After my last post regarding my Viper, I have since had the phone replaced and still need to go back to the store to have the battery replaced. But now it seems that Viper #2 is doing the same thing that Viper #1 did, so I may have to have it replaced too. :(

I have same battery problem as well as overheating..got up to 120 f ...otherwise can't complain...plenty of ram...fast...the built in quick note / screenshot is awesome...screen resolution is a bit low but I'm okay with it..going to buy an extended battery...can't wait for a working cwm so i can experiment safely and theme it..overclock and roms shouldn't be to long of a wait i believe lg already released kernel source...overall for free..very pleased with phone.

Sent from my LG-LS840 using Tapatalk 2

My phone has reached 130? F. I about burned my hand on it and now I'm concerned that something is majorly wrong.

Got mine fully replaced in store beyond 30 days. They are aware of overheating/battery issue and will replace it if you ask.

The Sprint store that replaced my phone didn't know about the issue at all but once they tested the phone and it failed we all figured that something in it was fried. Not sure what either. Hopefully LG didn't have too many Vipers do this, very bad for reputation. I'm hoping to go to Sprint next week and have them check out my phone again. I will let you all know what I find out.