[please sticky] to anyone trying to ota update and it won't take:

wickid_d

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
TO ANYONE TRYING TO OTA UPDATE AND IT WON'T TAKE:

If your software version is saying vzc still, and you have made changes to your build.prop. Also, as mentioned below by Mista_J, if you have removed system apps, this will also cause the update to fail. The update checks all of those for integrity.

I changed one thing in my build.prop and it didn't take, changed it back, and whammo, worked well, even being rooted.

Yes, you will lose partial root after the update. The files will still be in place, but you will have to use the ratc method via Short Fuse's Super One Click Root again, to get guid and suid functionality back. Also, you will have to do the su update in Super User, to re-update the su binary.

The only changes I've found so far is an update for the radio (I'm guessing to get the phone ready for the LTE rollout, even though it's still not switched and I'm in a LTE release city), Polaris Office, which I don't recall being there before, and the idiots actually made a /etc/install_recovery.sh, which should have been part of vzc, as far as I can tell.

Here is the recook that bypasses all checks:

http://www.mediafire.com/?ka937078huhovm8

(yes, I'm well aware that this isn't the most secure way of doing things, but it works.. or at least, it should.. lol)

Easy steps:

1) download above and move it to your sd card via an adb push, or simply using an sd card adapter, and rename it to update.zip (however you do it, just make sure you rename it)
2)
a) reboot via adb "adb reboot recovery"
b) reboot via an app such as DroidGrams or ROOT Toolbox Lite
3) let the magick happen! (if it prompts you, tap your home soft-key on 'apply update.zip from sdcard/', and it's obvious from there)
4) (reboot by tapping home on 'reboot system now') play with, and enjoy your updated phone :)

Hope this helps everyone! :)

Later folks,
~WickiD~

P.S. Once I figure out the whole 'magick' thing, I may have a working cwr for us! :) (wow.. this means backtracking about a year and a half to my old moto backflip scripts - they do things very similar..)

Last edited:

Mista_J

May 12, 2011
Visit site
TO ANYONE TRYING TO OTA UPDATE AND IT WON'T TAKE:

If your software version is saying vzc still, and you have made changes to your build.prop, then change back whatever changes you made to your build.prop. The update checks that for integrity. I changed one thing in my build.prop and it didn't take, changed it back, and whammo, worked well, even being rooted.

Yes, you will lose partial root after the update. The files will still be in place, but you will have to use the ratc method via Short Fuse's Super One Click Root again, to get guid and suid functionality back. Also, you will have to do the su update in Super User, to re-update the su binary.

The only changes I've found so far is an update for the radio (I'm guessing to get the phone ready for the LTE rollout, even though it's still not switched and I'm in a LTE release city), Polaris Office, which I don't recall being there before, and the idiots actually made a /etc/install_recovery.sh, which should have been part of vzc, as far as I can tell.

I'll recook the update tonight so that it bypasses the checks.

When I do, you'll have to have it on your sd card, and reboot it via adb, into recovery, and it will automatically pickup the update.zip and install it, as long as you left the recovery stock. If not, there will be a few more steps involved..

I'm off to bed..

Later folks,
~WickiD~

My phone is rooted and I've tried to update it twice. It still won't update. I didn't change my build.prop, the only thing I did was uninstall a couple of system apps. What do I need to do to update?

Sent from my LG-LS840 using Android Central Forums

Reactions: wickid_d

wickid_d

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
Re: [please sticky] to anyone trying to ota update and it won't t

My phone is rooted and I've tried to update it twice. It still won't update. I didn't change my build.prop, the only thing I did was uninstall a couple of system apps. What do I need to do to update?

Did you backup the system apps? You should just be able to restore them, and be fine.

I noticed the updater-script checks the integrity of certain system apps too - i.e. assert(apply_patch_check(... is your culprit..

I'm actually glad you brought that up. I've done one recook already. Looks like I'm going to have to do another that removes all checks for those that have modded beyond build.prop.

(Updated OP, obviously.. lol)

Looks like we're learning from each other! Thanks! :D

~WickiD~

Last edited:

Odinist

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site

So I just flashed your recook, and my software version is still LS840ZVC...

*edit*

And, it seems to have killed my data? Can still make calls, and am showing 3G, but it's acting as if I don't have a data connection.
Reboot fixed the data issue.

Last edited:

Mista_J

May 12, 2011
Visit site
The ota update failed 3 times on my rooted phone. I updated using the LG mobile tools and it worked. I had to re-root my phone. It says that it's rooted but I can't update the su binary in superuser.

wickid_d

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site

So I just flashed your recook, and my software version is still LS840ZVC...

*edit*

And, it seems to have killed my data? Can still make calls, and am showing 3G, but it's acting as if I don't have a data connection.
Reboot fixed the data issue.

It took a little time to kick up data upon reboot even before the update. I've noticed this on this phone.. for whatever reason, it takes forEVER for it to kick back up, and yeah, to get it up faster, you can reboot, or do a profile update. That's the software itself, though, not anything I did. The only thing I changed in this was the updater-script.

As for the version number, I'm not sure why it wouldn't have taken.

Can you do me a favor and PM me your /cache/recovery/last_log?

That will tell me where it quit on you, and I should be able to fix it.

See, I'm sort of doing this blindly because I've already updated my girl's phone before I did this recook, and don't want to risk messing it up until we have a stable recovery in place.

The ota update failed 3 times on my rooted phone. I updated using the LG mobile tools and it worked. I had to re-root my phone. It says that it's rooted but I can't update the su binary in superuser.

What did you use to root? Because I used Short Fuse's Super One Click root via the rageagainstthecage exploit. I then used the busybox installer by jrummel to install busybox, and that seemed to work in order to update the su binary via superuser.

I hope that helps. Let me know if it does.

Peace,
~WickiD~

Last edited:

Mista_J

May 12, 2011
Visit site
Couldn't install busybox, says it cannot locate "android reboot".

Odinist

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site

As for the version number, I'm not sure why it wouldn't have taken.

Can you do me a favor and PM me your /cache/recovery/last_log?

I can't, as there is no recovery directory showing the cache directory...

It's saying:

E:signature verification failed
Installation aborted

d_mcknight

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site

I can't, as there is no recovery directory showing the cache directory...

It's saying:

E:signature verification failed
Installation aborted

I'm having the same problem, I tried unrooting/rerooting, factory reset, and connecting to my computer in download mode and still no luck getting the OTA or this package to install.

coreag

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site

i managed to install the update using this method but am unable to reroot the phone using ratc for some reason.

Odinist

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site

I'm having the same problem, I tried unrooting/rerooting, factory reset, and connecting to my computer in download mode and still no luck getting the OTA or this package to install.

I ended up just finding an APK to reinstall NASCAR so that the official update would work. It left root intact after updated, to boot.

I stand corrected... OTA is still failing, not sure what's it's still missing. Grr.

Last edited:

d_mcknight

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
I had problems with the signature verification failing on zip files when I renamed them on my tablet. Is there a way to rename the package that won't cause the recovery to reject it?

Sent from my LG-LS840 using Tapatalk 2

Odinist

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site

I had problems with the signature verification failing on zip files when I renamed them on my tablet. Is there a way to rename the package that won't cause the recovery to reject it?

Not that I've been able to find, and I've tried it a few different ways. =/

I tried running the LG update tool, and it's telling me that I'm already current on my software, however, my software version is still showing as zvc. If I'd known that deleting the bloatware would cause this much headache, I'd have happily left it be.

d_mcknight

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, my only concern is that we need to update to zvd before we can get is or jb. I contacted LG, and they said to bring it in to sprint, or else mail it to them for service..

thenameisnigel

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site

Updates disable your SU binary. It's there but unusable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol