Viper died (not rooted)

jrsharp70

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
I was updating and installing stuff on my new viper. The last thing i did before my screen went perma-black is try to uninstall sprint ID (i figured worst that could happen is it would say "no no")

Now screen is black, soft keys light up, and it vibrates briefly when I hold the power key, but that's it.

took out the battery, replaced it, nothing. Same with the memory card. Tried plugging it in. Tried letting it cool down.

Dead

hezx

Feb 10, 2012
Visit site
you cant uninstall sprint ID without Titanium Backup... or root for that matter... how did it even give you the option???

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
if you can boot into recovery there is an update.zip floating around somewhere on the viper forums here, pop your sdcard into another device and put the update.zip on the top level of your sdcard, then put it back in your phone and boot into recovery from there wipe your cache and do a factory reset, the click apply update.zip

It will reset your phone and flash stock back to it, you'll lose all your data but you will be unbricked

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: jrsharp70

jrsharp70

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
Thank you!

I'm taking it to sprint in the morning. If that doesn't work, ill give it a shot.

Not to sound ungrateful, but I tried removing the battery and then booting by pressing vol down + power, and I tried the same while it was "on but blacked out". Neither did anything. Still think it'll work???

I really appreciate the info either way.

jrsharp70

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
you cant uninstall sprint ID without Titanium Backup... or root for that matter... how did it even give you the option???

No idea... it's a new phone. I long pressed and dragged it to the trash can... it may have been a coincidence, or maybe Sprint was testing my loyalty... Sprint is a vengeful god...

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Thank you!

I'm taking it to sprint in the morning. If that doesn't work, ill give it a shot.

Not to sound ungrateful, but I tried removing the battery and then booting by pressing vol down + power, and I tried the same while it was "on but blacked out". Neither did anything. Still think it'll work???

I really appreciate the info either way.

if it didn't boot at all to any screen it probably is a perma brick same thing happened to my viper, sprint will easily replace it we've managed to have mine replaced three times , two for issues regarding it being rooted and once because it was shorted somehow and draining a fully charged battery in less than three hours while idle.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

jrsharp70

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
It was a dead lcd screen. I can't get a new one, since I bought it from an individual, but they ordered me a factory refurb for free.

Thanks for the help.

hezx

Feb 10, 2012
Visit site
No idea... it's a new phone. I long pressed and dragged it to the trash can... it may have been a coincidence, or maybe Sprint was testing my loyalty... Sprint is a vengeful god...

Oh.... that doesn't uninstall it... just takes it off your home screen

Sent from my LG-LS840 using Android Central Forums

jrsharp70

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
Thanks hezx.

I guess that means I can remove the icon from the bottom bar??

I really liked it for the brief time I had it. I'm just really glad the guys at sprint are so helpful... I suspect they didn't have to offer me a refurbished unit at all, since i got it on craigslist, much less a free one.

There is still a $100 buyback credit on it, so I guess I can always recoup the $100 I spent on it it this one is a dog.

I'll post if I hear anything on Ice for the device. Hope you guys will do the same!

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae