[Rom] LG - Viper ICS 4.0.1r1

RedBunnyJAV

May 12, 2012
Visit site
I found a file on the LG Open Source Website the other day. Just enter LS840 for the model number.
This is the file I found:

LS840(Viper)_Android_ICS_4.0.4_r1_US_Sprint_Opensource_LS840ZVG.zip

In the .zip are 2 files. An Android.tar.gz and a Kernel.tar.gz file.
The README says to compile to must have the Android-SDK installed and basically you just compile the LG/Sprint Viper ICS with the Android 14 in the SDK and walla you should have ICS 4.0.1r1 ready for your LG-Viper.

The main problem with all of this is that you have to have Linux running to ./compile the way the readme says. So over the next day or two I plan on setting up linux under VirtualBox or some other way to do it on Windows.

If anyone want to try, just download the Viper - ICS from LG/Sprint on the link above (the've taken it off the site for some reason) and let me know how it goes.

hezx

Feb 10, 2012
Visit site
well let me hop off this crappy hotel computer and I'll jump on my laptop and get ubuntu started up and compile it for yall.

give me about 3-4 hours... depends on when the kid gets to sleep.

I'll update this post or make my own [ROM] thread when its done...

you got my recovery to work right?

can you tell me exactly what you did?

did you use TERMINAL EMULATOR or CMD PROMPT?

RedBunnyJAV

May 12, 2012
Visit site
I used tried two ways actually,... something with mount -o rw,remount /system

block 13,... from a shabby penquin cwm did for the viper
i wrote it in the cwm forum,... sorry kinna drunk atm, but yeah please compile for us

I used QtADB ( Graphical ADB) it has everything,...
and I don't know if you read my other post but it does seem to work,.. the only thing backing up a /system gives errors and you have to use
rom manager or some other reboot method to get into recovery because vol+ and power still leads to lg's boot loader, but it does work

googleitson

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
red and hex, i want to thank you for proving to me that im not the only trying vigorously to get ics on my viper. im saavy but im not very good at debugging/developing, im great at following instructions though. i have installed android sdk, and jdk 6 on my windows 7 machine. i cant write code, unless im of course, following directions. where do i go from here? do i need to download anything other than sdk, jdk 6, and the opensource file? and how do i smash(because thats my technical experience) these things together? please forgive my slight noobness, ive never had an lg and its driving me nucking futs

RedBunnyJAV

May 12, 2012
Visit site
Inside the Viper-ICS.zip file theres a README with pretty much the exact 4 or 5 instructions on what to compile,.... There werent many of them it basica;lly said you have to have the SDK setup or something. I'm sure there are exact ways to set up the SDK over at android.com. Then you input the Viper-Android-ICS.tar.gz and Viper-Kernel-ICS.tar.gz which are the 2 files in the ICS.zip and comile inside the SDK envionenment. Walla ICS on the Viper.

hezx

Feb 10, 2012
Visit site
I read it and am still having issues, do you by chance have the ability to do a video walkthrough? That would be most appreciated.

You cant do it on Win7

It must be on Linux.

I am not able to do this until tuesday unfortunately.... Unless I get time tonight

BUT I wont let yall down I promise... Ill do everything I can to get the compiling started tonight

googleitson

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
thanks alot, i read that "The main problem with all of this is that you have to have Linux running to ./compile the way the readme says." 5 times, but of course im stubborn. i will wait patiently for someone who knows what they are doing. :)

have either of you found any bugs with it yet??

will my phone need to be rooted with a cwm installed to get this done?

and is there a working root for us after the update?

thanks again

hezx

Feb 10, 2012
Visit site
I don't know yet. So far I am the only one compiling the Data so as soon as it's done I will try flashing and rooting.

But I won't have answers till tomorrow

Sent from my LG-LS840 using Android Central Forums

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Unless you can get LG to release their signing keys I doubt you can flash this in a stock recovery. So yes you'll probably have to be rooted to flash it, unless of course they included them in the read me file?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

hezx

Feb 10, 2012
Visit site
If not all you have to do is ask for it. Or just turn off sign verification in CWM

hezx

Feb 10, 2012
Visit site
Is there a workable cwm for the viper at this point or am I going to have to build one?

I posted a working CWM up in the "porting CWM" thread.... I will make a thread tomorrow with the link and instructions on installing it

googleitson

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site

joearaujo5488

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
i would liek to know that too

---------- Post Merged at 04:46 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 04:44 PM ----------

and another thing...after i flash the cwm...can i install the ics rom as the way it is now (.tgz or w/e)...or do i have to compile...if so..can anyone compile it for a working rom?

joearaujo5488

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
ok. but is there any way to install that open source rom released form lg onto the viper without cwm? or a way to just install ics through the stock recovery or adb?

googleitson

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
The rom has to be compiled, only in linux (windows wont work I tried), so you can't just flash it the way it is. Apparently there are a few devs working on getting the cwrm working for us as well as a working ics rom built from the open source files. We must pretend to be patient.