1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Reinstall Stock Messaging app apk

I recently rooted my viper, and I installed Root Uninstaller.

I went through backing up and uninstalling the Sprint bloatware. My friend informed me of what was considered a better messaging app so I tried it out. I then proceeded to backup and uninstall the Mms_2.3.7.apk. After a bit of time (yes I know I jumped the gun on uninstalling) I found that I would rather use the stock app. When I went to Root Uninstaller, it will not let me reinstall the app.

I've tried several methods that searching provided, the most prominent being to copy the app to the /system/app folder, change the permissions and reboot.

Nothing happens using this method. Is there any other way to get the stock MMS app back and running?

--

At this point, I would even consider just flashing it back to stock and leaving the bloatware in place...perhaps I didn't research enough to know that once a system app is removed, it is difficult to get it back.
    Last edited by mharrison82; 09-19-2012 at 10:04 AM. Reason: More info

ROM
    opti aokp, viper stock

Default Re: Reinstall Stock Messaging app apk

When you tried the copy/paste method did you rename the app to mms.apk? I haven't done much with my phone yet because I can't make a backup. Maybe try xda for a mms app then try to install that. Id try a gingerbread one with ics colors. Id grab root explorer and just try to install either by copy/paste or just by clicking the apk and telling it to install. Hope I helped ya.. sorry if I didn't. Edit: was the other messaging app a system one or like gosms? If it was installed via copy/paste you may wanna rename that to mms1.apk then copy/paste the other one and rename to mms.apk than set permission n reboot.
    Last edited by pmoneyprix; 09-19-2012 at 10:56 AM.
    Thanked by:
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Default Re: Reinstall Stock Messaging app apk

Quote Originally Posted by pmoneyprix View Post
    When you tried the copy/paste method did you rename the app to mms.apk? I haven't done much with my phone yet because I can't make a backup. Maybe try xda for a mms app then try to install that. Id try a gingerbread one with ics colors. Id grab root explorer and just try to install either by copy/paste or just by clicking the apk and telling it to install. Hope I helped ya.. sorry if I didn't.

Thanks! Renaming the apk file did the trick. Never would have thought of that as none of the sources I used mentioned doing that. I'm going to go back through now and make sure that I leave a comment on each similar one to mention renaming the apk.