Is this phone decent?

Vysse

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
I am thinking about getting my gf this phone but don't want her having another phone that'll disappoint. Is the phone any good? Also what is the worst thing about the phone?

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

d_mcknight

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
It's good if you just want a stock android phone; if you want something with more 3rd party development and it's a contract phone, I'd get the Galaxy Nexus for $10 more from Sprint

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Um yeah lg makes phones that are pretty much stock android with just a generic lg skin that doesnt even have a name. Worst thing is the overheating problem, the phone will get hot just by playing songs while doing nothing else. I think it has to do with there being no ventilation with an aluminum back i took metal shop for two years in hs so i know aluminum absorbs and holds heat extremely well. The problem may be solved by drilling holes in the back of the case if anyone is willing to try.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

jrsharp70

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
I don't have any heating problem, and it's been my fav phone ever (had a Palm pre and an iPhone)

BUT... for the same cost, you can get a Motorola razr m on contract. You'd be silly to choose this one over that.

Only up side is that you can get this phone for $100 pretty much anywhere on Craigslist or eBay without a contract. For that price, if say it's the best deal out there.

Sent from my Viper 4G LTE on the "coming soon" network

Dannyman3819

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
I got my viper for free at best buy with a 2 year upgrade (had to pay $30 activation fee though). I have noticed a heat problem while playing games for an extendend amount of time but if you put a case on it you won't notice it. the part that i think is the worst is the battery life, its not horrible but needs a charge in the middle of the day (I'm a heavy user)

LulzSec

Banned
Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
Um yeah lg makes phones that are pretty much stock android with just a generic lg skin that doesnt even have a name. Worst thing is the overheating problem, the phone will get hot just by playing songs while doing nothing else. I think it has to do with there being no ventilation with an aluminum back i took metal shop for two years in hs so i know aluminum absorbs and holds heat extremely well. The problem may be solved by drilling holes in the back of the case if anyone is willing to try.

The back of the phone is plastic not aluminum.

Sent from my LG-LS840

jrsharp70

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
the definition of heavy use may be the difference. I consider myself a moderate user, and I get about 12 hrs with auto brightness and some widgets and a live wallpaper. Mostly on wifi.

I send email 4 or 5 times, text about 40 or so times, use flashcard buddy and Evernote, and goof off on the Internet. My phone stays on airplane mode from 2 a. m. till 8 a. m., and only looses about 2%.

it's not rare for me to have 24 hrs of battery. I rarely leave it plugged in if it doesn't need it, so I often go to bed with it discharging. So I'll get a few hrs one day, overnight, then most of the next day.

dark_mirage

Aug 9, 2012
Visit site
That sounds right. I also made a few tasker profiles to turn off mobile data and set the cpu governer to conservative while the display is off.

Sent from my LG Viper 4g LTE using Tapatalk 2

d_mcknight

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
I had pretty bad battery life (less than a day with moderate use), but I brought the phone back to sprint when it wouldn't take the ZVD update and was overheating when charging and the replacement gets about 1.5x the battery life of the old one (8 hours to 12 hours). So, it might be a quality control thing with the batteries?

dark_mirage

Aug 9, 2012
Visit site
In that cade, there are mugen batteries thst don't need a larger case, if anyone is interested.

hezx

Feb 10, 2012
Visit site

Its not aluminum, its magnesium. The problem with the heat is the poorly manufacturing of the battery. The cpu and gpu don't get very hot ij the phones. The battery is your oven, but I have yet to have a heat problem

Sent from my LG-LS840 using Android Central Forums

hezx

Feb 10, 2012
Visit site
The back of the phone is plastic not aluminum.

Sent from my LG-LS840

This is also true that the back of the phone battery case is plastic... but the phone is made of magnesium instead of aluminum, magnesium is stronger and dissipates heat better.

Sent from my LG-LS840 using Android Central Forums

lmoore55

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
I have had my phone get above 150 degrees, it was actually burning to the touch. That was some hardcore gaming for about an hr with the phone plugged in.

Vysse

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
I don't have any heating problem, and it's been my fav phone ever (had a Palm pre and an iPhone)

BUT... for the same cost, you can get a Motorola razr m on contract. You'd be silly to choose this one over that.

Only up side is that you can get this phone for $100 pretty much anywhere on Craigslist or eBay without a contract. For that price, if say it's the best deal out there.

Well price isn't the issue I wanted a phone with similar stats to my EVO that had 4 buttons rather than the ics standard of 3. Also my gf would probably do better with a phone that has gingerbread since she is used to it.

jrsharp70

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
Well price isn't the issue I wanted a phone with similar stats to my EVO that had 4 buttons rather than the ics standard of 3. Also my gf would probably do better with a phone that has gingerbread since she is used to it.

Well, this phone is getting ics in less than a month.

A) the buttons are impossible to see most of the time. Physical buttons might do better. I just know where they are at this point, so I don't need to look.

B) not holding my breath on that one

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781