1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Is this phone decent?

I am thinking about getting my gf this phone but don't want her having another phone that'll disappoint. Is the phone any good? Also what is the worst thing about the phone?

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

Default Re: Is this phone decent?

It's good if you just want a stock android phone; if you want something with more 3rd party development and it's a contract phone, I'd get the Galaxy Nexus for $10 more from Sprint

Global Posts
    1,532 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Rooted Mk3

Um yeah lg makes phones that are pretty much stock android with just a generic lg skin that doesnt even have a name. Worst thing is the overheating problem, the phone will get hot just by playing songs while doing nothing else. I think it has to do with there being no ventilation with an aluminum back i took metal shop for two years in hs so i know aluminum absorbs and holds heat extremely well. The problem may be solved by drilling holes in the back of the case if anyone is willing to try.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
    Current Laptop - Samsung Ativ 4 Book, Ivy Bridge I7 @ 2.00GHz per Core, 8GB DDR3 Ram, Intel HD 4000, 750GB SATA

Please don't thank me unless I have helped you in some way, if you like my post then click like not thanks.

Check out my github @ https://github.com/gollum18 or My Android Applications @ http://lrdev.net76.net

I don't have any heating problem, and it's been my fav phone ever (had a Palm pre and an iPhone)

BUT... for the same cost, you can get a Motorola razr m on contract. You'd be silly to choose this one over that.

Only up side is that you can get this phone for $100 pretty much anywhere on Craigslist or eBay without a contract. For that price, if say it's the best deal out there.

Sent from my Viper 4G LTE on the "coming soon" network

ROM
    Everchanging

I got my viper for free at best buy with a 2 year upgrade (had to pay $30 activation fee though). I have noticed a heat problem while playing games for an extendend amount of time but if you put a case on it you won't notice it. the part that i think is the worst is the battery life, its not horrible but needs a charge in the middle of the day (I'm a heavy user)

I get 12-17 hours heavy use...

Sent from my LG Viper 4g LTE using Tapatalk 2
    flashaholic

Global Posts
    394 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

Quote Originally Posted by dark_mirage View Post
    I get 12-17 hours heavy use...

I would like to know how I only get about 4 during heavy use

Sent from my LG-LS840 using Tapatalk 2
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by gollum18 View Post
    Um yeah lg makes phones that are pretty much stock android with just a generic lg skin that doesnt even have a name. Worst thing is the overheating problem, the phone will get hot just by playing songs while doing nothing else. I think it has to do with there being no ventilation with an aluminum back i took metal shop for two years in hs so i know aluminum absorbs and holds heat extremely well. The problem may be solved by drilling holes in the back of the case if anyone is willing to try.

The back of the phone is plastic not aluminum.

Sent from my LG-LS840

the definition of heavy use may be the difference. I consider myself a moderate user, and I get about 12 hrs with auto brightness and some widgets and a live wallpaper. Mostly on wifi.

I send email 4 or 5 times, text about 40 or so times, use flashcard buddy and Evernote, and goof off on the Internet. My phone stays on airplane mode from 2 a. m. till 8 a. m., and only looses about 2%.

it's not rare for me to have 24 hrs of battery. I rarely leave it plugged in if it doesn't need it, so I often go to bed with it discharging. So I'll get a few hrs one day, overnight, then most of the next day.

That sounds right. I also made a few tasker profiles to turn off mobile data and set the cpu governer to conservative while the display is off.

I had pretty bad battery life (less than a day with moderate use), but I brought the phone back to sprint when it wouldn't take the ZVD update and was overheating when charging and the replacement gets about 1.5x the battery life of the old one (8 hours to 12 hours). So, it might be a quality control thing with the batteries?

In that cade, there are mugen batteries thst don't need a larger case, if anyone is interested.

ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by gollum18 View Post

Its not aluminum, its magnesium. The problem with the heat is the poorly manufacturing of the battery. The cpu and gpu don't get very hot ij the phones. The battery is your oven, but I have yet to have a heat problem

Sent from my LG-LS840 using Android Central Forums

ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by LulzSec View Post
    The back of the phone is plastic not aluminum.

Sent from my LG-LS840
    This is also true that the back of the phone battery case is plastic... but the phone is made of magnesium instead of aluminum, magnesium is stronger and dissipates heat better.

Sent from my LG-LS840 using Android Central Forums

I have had my phone get above 150 degrees, it was actually burning to the touch. That was some hardcore gaming for about an hr with the phone plugged in.
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

Quote Originally Posted by jrsharp70 View Post
    I don't have any heating problem, and it's been my fav phone ever (had a Palm pre and an iPhone)

BUT... for the same cost, you can get a Motorola razr m on contract. You'd be silly to choose this one over that.

Only up side is that you can get this phone for $100 pretty much anywhere on Craigslist or eBay without a contract. For that price, if say it's the best deal out there.

Well price isn't the issue I wanted a phone with similar stats to my EVO that had 4 buttons rather than the ics standard of 3. Also my gf would probably do better with a phone that has gingerbread since she is used to it.

Well, this phone is getting ics in less than a month.

Quote Originally Posted by Vysse View Post
    Well price isn't the issue I wanted a phone with similar stats to my EVO that had 4 buttons rather than the ics standard of 3. Also my gf would probably do better with a phone that has gingerbread since she is used to it.

Quote Originally Posted by dark_mirage View Post
    Well, this phone is getting ics in less than a month.

A) the buttons are impossible to see most of the time. Physical buttons might do better. I just know where they are at this point, so I don't need to look.

B) not holding my breath on that one

19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  

Mind you she'd be coming from an optimus

flashaholic

Global Posts
    394 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

Quote Originally Posted by Vysse View Post
    Mind you she'd be coming from an optimus

If she had an optimus s this will be a big improvement.I miss my optimus but I love the speed of this one better

Sent from my LG-LS840 using Tapatalk 2

It's an ok phone...mine over heats & my battery life sucks, but I got the phone for free without a contract. So I guess I shouldn't complain about it.