Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Like Tree30Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #76  

Default Re: Manually install ICS direction

Quote Originally Posted by MrDroid View Post
    Thanks VenumX...I am having the same problem since I removed all of the Sprint bloatware, including Sprint ID (sprintid.apk), after I rooted my phone, but the only thing holding up the install is the Sprint ID failure message. I was googling to try and see if I can just download and install Sprint ID as a stand-alone install but I haven't found a sure fire way to do that so I will try the unbrick method that you used.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks tommyjoesanders!
    your very welcome. and yes too my knowledge you will have too use unbrick method too fix the issue.
    If you like my work or If I helped you. Please show some love and click the thanks button or donate here

Global Posts
    61 Global Posts

I used gollum18's method to root: http://forums.androidcentral.com/lg-...-lg-viper.html
    Thanked by:
    btux81 

Global Posts
    61 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tommyjoesanders View Post
    your very welcome. and yes too my knowledge you will have too use unbrick method too fix the issue.
    Thanks again tommyjoesanders!

Global Posts
    18 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MrDroid View Post
    Thanks VenumX...I am having the same problem since I removed all of the Sprint bloatware, including Sprint ID (sprintid.apk), after I rooted my phone, but the only thing holding up the install is the Sprint ID failure message. I was googling to try and see if I can just download and install Sprint ID as a stand-alone install but I haven't found a sure fire way to do that so I will try the unbrick method that you used.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks tommyjoesanders!
    NP glad someone else had the same issue haha means im not just crazy

Global Posts
    29 Global Posts

I downloaded the update.zip straight to my phone from this thread using the mobile browser on my phone. You have to make sure you change the download path do SD. After it downloads, use a file manager like Astro, & make sure it saved as a zip file to the SD root. Use the ADB reboot recovery method discussed earlier.

When I reboot into recovery I get clockwork. A while ago I used rom Manager to install CWM but never used it. Now I get put into CWM v5.8.3.1 but I cannot install the update. I keep getting errors I get
    Error in /sdcard/update.zip
    (status 7)
    Instalation aborted.

I can however reboot my system with a battery pull. It will not reboot itself.

Anyway to get CWM removed off my phone? Do I have to do the unbrick and restore method
    Last edited by catchjeff; 11-02-2012 at 03:23 PM. Reason: error

The update.zip in this thread is the Official OTA update, it will only work in stock recovery....If you don't wan't to have to unbrick, although i recommend it before flashing a new OS...i belive nigel has compiled an update.zip thats flashable through CWM, ill find the link and throw it back in here..
    EDit: THe Delooper removes CWM i believe. install that zip through cwm, then the update.zip through stock recovery.

Global Posts
    61 Global Posts

VenumX, your method worked and I now have ICS running!
    Thank you again tommyjoesanders, this worked beautifully! I am approaching 50 years old, so I have some experience with old DOS commands.

I know some have mentioned the "cd" (change directory) DOS command and I am just suggesting the following edits to the instructions in the OP to include the info below (or some similar wording) to make it easier for folks to follow:

7. now you will get your c:\user\ whatever is your layout. at the C: prompt. type this command
    "cd c:\adb" (without the quotation marks) and press enter

You can then eliminate steps 8 and 9, since the "cd" command will take you straight to C:\ADB>
    It will actually take you straight there no matter what folder you started at.

Flashed to ZVD and I still can't get the recovery to work. I get a quick glance at Andy with a !. Update is named Update.zip not .zip.zip. Any ideas?
    Just to clarify the update goes in the root folder right?

Global Posts
    1,532 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Rooted Mk3

Alright thanks guys I'll flash tonight when my step dad gets here with his phone

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
    Current Laptop - Samsung Ativ 4 Book, Ivy Bridge I7 @ 2.00GHz per Core, 8GB DDR3 Ram, Intel HD 4000, 750GB SATA

Please don't thank me unless I have helped you in some way, if you like my post then click like not thanks.

Check out my github @ https://github.com/gollum18 or My Android Applications @ http://lrdev.net76.net
    flashaholic

Global Posts
    394 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

Quote Originally Posted by Dcashdollar View Post
    Flashed to ZVD and I still can't get the recovery to work. I get a quick glance at Andy with a !. Update is named Update.zip not .zip.zip. Any ideas?
    Just to clarify the update goes in the root folder right?
    It should be named update.zip all lowercase and not the root folder, just on you sd card not in a folder

Tapatalkin it from my Viper running ICS
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #87  

the download file is already called update.zip . all you got too is transfer it too the sd card.
    If you like my work or If I helped you. Please show some love and click the thanks button or donate here
    Thanked by:
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #88  

Please read the updated notes in the op. I hope this helps with any confusing anyone is having

Global Posts
    1,532 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Rooted Mk3

Thx tommy, got our viper running ICS now, if I knew how I'd port some of it to xhdpi/,hdpi devices... compared to gb, LGS new skin is so beautiful.

PS - would you mind writing a guide for Linux to in case anyone uses the better os instead. ... I would but don't want to cramp your style
    Current Laptop - Samsung Ativ 4 Book, Ivy Bridge I7 @ 2.00GHz per Core, 8GB DDR3 Ram, Intel HD 4000, 750GB SATA

Please don't thank me unless I have helped you in some way, if you like my post then click like not thanks.

Check out my github @ https://github.com/gollum18 or My Android Applications @ http://lrdev.net76.net

my viper always reboot randomly and i want to flash with ICS.
    when flashing in progress and then my viper reboot, will it make my phone bricked?
    thanks guys
    Last edited by sindyjk; 11-03-2012 at 07:00 AM.

thanks again this method works really well. here are a few pointers..
    after ics security error.. I went back to version vd using unbrick method, reenabled usb settings, regained root. installed voodoo..
    rebooted to recovery, tried to reinstall ICS from sdcard that failed produced the google error 7..
    I rebooted back to GB, the phone performed a system update. used to voodoo restore root,
    rebooted back to recovery, then same update.zip installed ics completely.
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #92  

Quote Originally Posted by gollum18 View Post
    Thx tommy, got our viper running ICS now, if I knew how I'd port some of it to xhdpi/,hdpi devices... compared to gb, LGS new skin is so beautiful.

PS - would you mind writing a guide for Linux to in case anyone uses the better os instead. ... I would but don't want to cramp your style
    Go ahead and write a linux install and just my download link in the guide so you don't have too spend alot of time setting the the thread up

Do I need to be rooted to use adb, and do I need a Windows machine or can I use a Mac?

*** never mind, found a YouTube video

Sent from my Viper 4G LTE on the "coming soon" network

New to this so please excuse myself. I downloaded the update.zip file and I'm continually getting a error during install stating that /patch is invalid i downloaded it numerous times and same result help!

Global Posts
    1,532 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Rooted Mk3

Are you downloading it over your phones 3g connection. If so download it from WiFi or from a PC, you may be getting bad blocks since the file is 250+mb.

Quote Originally Posted by jrsharp70 View Post
    . . . .

LMAO! Perfect!

Sent from my ICS-Flavored LG Viper using Tapatalk 2

This is so frustrating... i can't even get into the c prompt because when i type C:\ on my laptop, it says that "C:\ is not recognized as a command"

oh well, i'll just wait till the push if someone can't tell me how to fix that. Sucks because it took forever to download the update file.
  23. Thread Author  Thread Author    #98  

This is so frustrating... i can't even get into the c prompt because when i type C:\ on my laptop, it says that "C:\ is not recognized as a command"

oh well, i'll just wait till the push if someone can't tell me how to fix that. Sucks because it took forever to download the update file.
    do you have teamviewer for windows? i will help you
  24. Thread Author  Thread Author    #99  

try this ok

click on windows icon
    type in cmd on search lines
    then the another window will pop up it should say something like C:\Users\Owner>
    at that point type cd\ and press enter
    now you will see C:\>
    type cd\adb hit enter
    now it will show C:\ADB>
    now type in adb reboot recovery and the phone will reboot in recovery at that point. make sure the update.zip is on the sd card or it will skip the recovery and reboot the phone

Trying now...

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast