[Q] bypass sprint wifi restriction

uvstr36

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
I want to use the native hotspot app. I have tried FoxFi and tether for root.
They do not work the way i need. Other phones have hacks to bypass sprint lockout.
Does anybody know one that works for our vipers

hezx

Feb 10, 2012
Visit site
They do not work the way i need. Other phones have hacks to bypass sprint lockout.

I have just been using the WiFi tether for ROOT users from the playstore just fine..... been working ever since I got the phone.... even after ICS update

uvstr36

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
I have tried wifi tether and it is a great app. However I am trying to tether my psvita and that app adds
apostrophes to the front and back of the ssid and the vita says unreconizable caracters.
FoxFi does connect but eill not transfer data. I am hoping the native hotspot will work

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
In order to use sprints hotspot you have to modify the systems framework and several other files, its not as simple as flashing a hacked hotspot apk.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Sorry I don't know much about it, you may try asking around the evo 4g forums, they have the same hotspot and know how to hack it. It'll be for a different phone but its a start.

n0ve

May 12, 2012
Visit site
Be careful, I got throttled hardcore for this....some apps they find very easily...i wouldnt recommend WIFI tether for root users..

prolongExistence

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
I have tried wifi tether and it is a great app. However I am trying to tether my psvita and that app adds
apostrophes to the front and back of the ssid and the vita says unreconizable caracters.
FoxFi does connect but eill not transfer data. I am hoping the native hotspot will work

My wife and I both use FoxFi regularly (she has a Viper, I don't) and it works fine. You say it will not transfer data. Are you sure you still have data on your Viper? About 60% of the time I activate FoxFi on my Admiral I loose the data on my phone. Easiest solution is to turn on airplane mode for a few seconds then turn it off. Data will return to the device and then to the connected computer.

uvstr36

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
My wife and I both use FoxFi regularly (she has a Viper, I don't) and it works fine. You say it will not transfer data. Are you sure you still have data on your Viper? About 60% of the time I activate FoxFi on my Admiral I loose the data on my phone. Easiest solution is to turn on airplane mode for a few seconds then turn it off. Data will return to the device and then to the connected computer.

I do not think I ever paid attention to my data connection I will try this we I have a minute

slinkies

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Foxfi works but when trying to connect it says attempt to obtain ip address timed out idk why it finds it but can't connect any suggestions on other hot spot apps I'm not rooted so idk what my options would be

Sent from my LG-LS840 using Android Central Forums

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Sprint doesn't throttle their phones, I would know, I use over 10 gigs a month sometimes, and almost half of that is USB/PC tethering.

If your rooted use market enabler and switch to another carrier, then all of the blocked tethering apps will become available to download.

Odinist

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site

It's an issue with LG and ICS. FoxFi knows about it, and they're trying to implement a fix.

I've been able to get Open Garden's WiFi tether to work for my PC, but it wasn't working on my Nexus 7. I just successfully used FoxFi's bluetooth DUN on my phone with PDANet Tablet on my Nexus 7, and it worked beautifully.

*EDIT*
The Bluetooth connection works okay... there are somethings that don't work. I was able to do some web browsing, and launch the Facebook app, but things like Google Talk and Draw Something didn't work. Better than nothing, I guess. I'll let you know if I figure anything else out.

n0ve

May 12, 2012
Visit site
Sprint doesn't throttle their phones, I would know, I use over 10 gigs a month sometimes, and almost half of that is USB/PC tethering.

If your rooted use market enabler and switch to another carrier, then all of the blocked tethering apps will become available to download.

I guarantee you, 100%, if detected as tethering via the built in firmware method, they do throttle you, under normal conditions no they do not, ive used 78 gigs this month...as far as wifi tethering, a while back, i "thought" it seemed throttled...extremely slow and tests were consistent @ cap, therefore upon calling sprint was confirmed that a throttle was placed due to improper usage of tethering. Believe me if you'd like, just throwing it out there. Your method they aren't detecting, just warning others who may be used to simpler methods.

prolongExistence

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
My wife and I EACH use an average of 5gb a month & I have gone as high as 20gb in a month. Never been throttled. If you go to sprint.com and check your account it will show your current (accurate within a few days) usage. I'm pretty certain that if they do detect your tethering it will show up as a separate figure under your usage. Normally it shows data and roaming data separate. I think there would be a 3rd figure for tethering data but I have never seen it so maybe someone else can chime in & confirm or negate that.

n0ve

May 12, 2012
Visit site
I never said they throttled data use, but they can easily differentiate tethering data between device data..most tether apps cover their tracks now but some don't, was just a warning.

More or less it was sprints "punishment" for tethering without adding the premium feature, slowed my 3g drastically.

Sent from my LG-LS840 using Tapatalk 2

Joshdlul

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I bought klink a while back, perfect app with lots of options, sprint hasn't caught on and i've had it for nearly a year and use it often. It's not free, but it's worth it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trudycharles