Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Odinist
  • 2 Post By Odinist
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default [Q] bypass sprint wifi restriction

I want to use the native hotspot app. I have tried FoxFi and tether for root.
    They do not work the way i need. Other phones have hacks to bypass sprint lockout.
    Does anybody know one that works for our vipers

ROM
    Stock

Default Re: [Q] bypass sprint wifi restriction

Quote Originally Posted by uvstr36 View Post
    They do not work the way i need. Other phones have hacks to bypass sprint lockout.

I have just been using the WiFi tether for ROOT users from the playstore just fine..... been working ever since I got the phone.... even after ICS update
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

I have tried wifi tether and it is a great app. However I am trying to tether my psvita and that app adds
    apostrophes to the front and back of the ssid and the vita says unreconizable caracters.
    FoxFi does connect but eill not transfer data. I am hoping the native hotspot will work

Global Posts
    1,532 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Rooted Mk3

In order to use sprints hotspot you have to modify the systems framework and several other files, its not as simple as flashing a hacked hotspot apk.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
    Current Laptop - Samsung Ativ 4 Book, Ivy Bridge I7 @ 2.00GHz per Core, 8GB DDR3 Ram, Intel HD 4000, 750GB SATA

Please don't thank me unless I have helped you in some way, if you like my post then click like not thanks.

Check out my github @ https://github.com/gollum18 or My Android Applications @ http://lrdev.net76.net
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

I know its not that simple. Do you know what needs to be
    modified or can you point me in the right direction

Global Posts
    1,532 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Rooted Mk3

Sorry I don't know much about it, you may try asking around the evo 4g forums, they have the same hotspot and know how to hack it. It'll be for a different phone but its a start.

Current Laptop - Samsung Ativ 4 Book, Ivy Bridge I7 @ 2.00GHz per Core, 8GB DDR3 Ram, Intel HD 4000, 750GB SATA

Please don't thank me unless I have helped you in some way, if you like my post then click like not thanks.

Check out my github @ https://github.com/gollum18 or My Android Applications @ http://lrdev.net76.net
    Thanked by:

Be careful, I got throttled hardcore for this....some apps they find very easily...i wouldnt recommend WIFI tether for root users..
    Thanked by:

I have tried wifi tether and it is a great app. However I am trying to tether my psvita and that app adds
    apostrophes to the front and back of the ssid and the vita says unreconizable caracters.
    FoxFi does connect but eill not transfer data. I am hoping the native hotspot will work
    My wife and I both use FoxFi regularly (she has a Viper, I don't) and it works fine. You say it will not transfer data. Are you sure you still have data on your Viper? About 60% of the time I activate FoxFi on my Admiral I loose the data on my phone. Easiest solution is to turn on airplane mode for a few seconds then turn it off. Data will return to the device and then to the connected computer.
    Mine- Sprint: Palm 700p, Palm Treo Pro, HTC Touch, HP Palm Pre, Motorola Admiral, Samsung Galaxy Nexus 4G (Jellybean 4.2.2);
    AT&T: Samsung Galaxy S4 Active (4.4.2)
    Wife's - Sprint: HP Palm Pre, LG Viper 4G LTE (ICS); Vizio VTAB1008 Tablet (Honeycomb); AT&T: Samsung Galaxy S4 Active (4.4.2)
    Daughters' - Nabi2 tablets (ICS)

Never trust a computer (or phone) named after a fruit.
    Thanked by:
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Quote Originally Posted by n0ve View Post
    Be careful, I got throttled hardcore for this....some apps they find very easily...i wouldnt recommend WIFI tether for root users..
    Thanks for the headsup
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Quote Originally Posted by prolongExistence View Post
    My wife and I both use FoxFi regularly (she has a Viper, I don't) and it works fine. You say it will not transfer data. Are you sure you still have data on your Viper? About 60% of the time I activate FoxFi on my Admiral I loose the data on my phone. Easiest solution is to turn on airplane mode for a few seconds then turn it off. Data will return to the device and then to the connected computer.
    I do not think I ever paid attention to my data connection I will try this we I have a minute

ROM
    opti aokp, viper stock

Wireless tether 2.0.7 google search it and enjoy..

Foxfi works but when trying to connect it says attempt to obtain ip address timed out idk why it finds it but can't connect any suggestions on other hot spot apps I'm not rooted so idk what my options would be

Sent from my LG-LS840 using Android Central Forums

ROM
    opti aokp, viper stock

If your not rooted fox fi is your best bet for wireless tether. Root your phone its not that complex..lol

Global Posts
    1,532 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Rooted Mk3

Sprint doesn't throttle their phones, I would know, I use over 10 gigs a month sometimes, and almost half of that is USB/PC tethering.

If your rooted use market enabler and switch to another carrier, then all of the blocked tethering apps will become available to download.

It's an issue with LG and ICS. FoxFi knows about it, and they're trying to implement a fix.

I've been able to get Open Garden's WiFi tether to work for my PC, but it wasn't working on my Nexus 7. I just successfully used FoxFi's bluetooth DUN on my phone with PDANet Tablet on my Nexus 7, and it worked beautifully.

*EDIT*
    The Bluetooth connection works okay... there are somethings that don't work. I was able to do some web browsing, and launch the Facebook app, but things like Google Talk and Draw Something didn't work. Better than nothing, I guess. I'll let you know if I figure anything else out.
    uvstr36 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by gollum18 View Post
    Sprint doesn't throttle their phones, I would know, I use over 10 gigs a month sometimes, and almost half of that is USB/PC tethering.

If your rooted use market enabler and switch to another carrier, then all of the blocked tethering apps will become available to download.

I guarantee you, 100%, if detected as tethering via the built in firmware method, they do throttle you, under normal conditions no they do not, ive used 78 gigs this month...as far as wifi tethering, a while back, i "thought" it seemed throttled...extremely slow and tests were consistent @ cap, therefore upon calling sprint was confirmed that a throttle was placed due to improper usage of tethering. Believe me if you'd like, just throwing it out there. Your method they aren't detecting, just warning others who may be used to simpler methods.

My wife and I EACH use an average of 5gb a month & I have gone as high as 20gb in a month. Never been throttled. If you go to sprint.com and check your account it will show your current (accurate within a few days) usage. I'm pretty certain that if they do detect your tethering it will show up as a separate figure under your usage. Normally it shows data and roaming data separate. I think there would be a 3rd figure for tethering data but I have never seen it so maybe someone else can chime in & confirm or negate that.
    Mine- Sprint: Palm 700p, Palm Treo Pro, HTC Touch, HP Palm Pre, Motorola Admiral, Samsung Galaxy Nexus 4G (Jellybean 4.2.2);
    AT&T: Samsung Galaxy S4 Active (4.4.2)
    Wife's - Sprint: HP Palm Pre, LG Viper 4G LTE (ICS); Vizio VTAB1008 Tablet (Honeycomb); AT&T: Samsung Galaxy S4 Active (4.4.2)
    Daughters' - Nabi2 tablets (ICS)

Never trust a computer (or phone) named after a fruit.

I never said they throttled data use, but they can easily differentiate tethering data between device data..most tether apps cover their tracks now but some don't, was just a warning.

More or less it was sprints "punishment" for tethering without adding the premium feature, slowed my 3g drastically.

Sent from my LG-LS840 using Tapatalk 2

I bought klink a while back, perfect app with lots of options, sprint hasn't caught on and i've had it for nearly a year and use it often. It's not free, but it's worth it.

Global Posts
    160 Global Posts

I use EasyTether on occasion when I absolutely need it.

Sent from my LG-LS840 Viper 4G LTE using Tapatalk 2
    Current Device: Sprint Samsung Galaxy Nexus Jelly Bean 4.2.1
    Previous Devices: HTC Evo Shift 4G & iPhone 3GS 16GB

Global Posts
    1,532 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Rooted Mk3

Lol with current sprint 3g speeds how can you tell if your being throttled anyway. My normal speeds on my s3 are barely better than dial-up.

Sent from my LG-LS855 using Android Central Forums

FYI, everyone, the new version of FoxFi (1.95) works again.
    Thanked by 2:
    pilot03 and uvstr36 like this.

I rooted sgn2 and cannot get Internet connection. That was purpose to tether to my ipad. Foxfi does not work for sprint. Does anyone have an idea of why no internet after root?

I don't know about your lack of connection, but I wanted to say foxfi is working just fine for me on my viper letting me tether my nexus with no issues.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

I am having trouble getting foxfi to work. Could you tell me what software version you are running on your viper (is it gingerbread or ics?) and what version of foxfi you are using successfully?