Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 24 of 24
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Updating the phone to ICS and booting into recovery.

    Now I see a lot of people who haven't got the update because they can't figure out how to get the update on to their phones. Now all you have to do is download the update.zip from the already stickied forum saying Install ICS direction and copy and paste it to the root of your sd card. Meaning right when you look at the files in your phone don't go into any folders just paste it. Now to put it into recovery we can do this the easy way... or the easy sorta hard way.
    BTW: The Easy sorta Hard way is a faster method you just have to know how to do it.

    Easy Way:
    1) Turn the phone off.
    2) Hold the power button and hold both volume keys.
    3) Wait for the LG Logo.
    4) Let go of the power button.
    5) On the screen you should see a 4 options.
    6) Use the volume keys to go to to the one that says something about update.zip.
    7) Press the home key.
    8) Use the volume keys to go to update.zip
    9) Press the home key.
    10) Wait for a while and it should reboot
    11) Celebrate!

    Easy sorta Hard way:
    1) Download the Android Sdk.
    2) Now open cmd.
    3) Go to your installation of the android sdk.
    4) Find the adb.exe file.
    5) Now in terminal type "adb reboot recovery" without the quotation marks.
    6) Follow 6 - 11 on the easy way and you're done.
  2. #2  

    Default Re: Updating the phone to ICS and booting into recovery.

    I still haven't got the update pushed to my phone, kinda sad.
    So I tried this method, and while my phone was updating it said something Iike "failed ...jd.jh467gdwy.dyfynj57654..etc" can't remember exactly.
    I'll upload a screen shot when possible.
    Man, I just want ICS!
  3. #3  
    gollum18's Avatar

    Posts
    1,508 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,532 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Rooted Mk3

    Default Re: Updating the phone to ICS and booting into recovery.

    Hmm you could just grab adb and put it in your windows directory ie. C:Windows.

    That way you don't have to download the whole SDK, and it'll run straight from cmd without changing directories.

    Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
    Current Laptop - Samsung Ativ 4 Book, Ivy Bridge I7 @ 2.00GHz per Core, 8GB DDR3 Ram, Intel HD 4000, 750GB SATA

    Please don't thank me unless I have helped you in some way, if you like my post then click like not thanks.

    Check out my github @ https://github.com/gollum18 or My Android Applications @ http://lrdev.net76.net
  4. #4  

    Default Re: Updating the phone to ICS and booting into recovery.

    Tried it, same issue.
  5. #5  

    Default Re: Updating the phone to ICS and booting into recovery.

    Quote Originally Posted by progranade View Post
    Easy Way:
    1) Turn the phone off.
    2) Hold the power button and hold both volume keys.
    3) Wait for the LG Logo.
    4) Let go of the power button.
    5) On the screen you should see a 4 options.
    6) Use the volume keys to go to to the one that says something about update.zip.
    7) Press the home key.
    8) Use the volume keys to go to update.zip
    9) Press the home key.
    10) Wait for a while and it should reboot
    11) Celebrate!

    Doesn't seem to work on my viper
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

    Default Re: Updating the phone to ICS and booting into recovery.

    Quote Originally Posted by atrociousxcracka View Post
    Doesn't seem to work on my viper
    Yeah, I heard that way of going into recovery doesn't work. If you search google for a adb file in cmd cd to that directory and put "adb reboot recovery" in it. If that doesn't work. I can try skyping you and show you my computer doing it, if that'll help.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

    Default Re: Updating the phone to ICS and booting into recovery.

    Quote Originally Posted by progranade View Post
    Yeah, I heard that way of going into recovery doesn't work. If you search google for a adb file in cmd cd to that directory and put "adb reboot recovery" in it. If that doesn't work. I can try skyping you and show you my computer doing it, if that'll help.
    And if that doesn't work the install may be corrupt so download this: https://www.dropbox.com/s/47w8gpbia2...ZVI_02_inc.zip actually don't do the first one try this.
  8. #8  
    gollum18's Avatar

    Posts
    1,508 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,532 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Rooted Mk3

    Default Re: Updating the phone to ICS and booting into recovery.

    Sorry I forgot to mention windows needs another dependency from the SDK for adb to work I can't think of it off the top of my head.

    BTW the windows directory is where all of command prompts actual commands are stored, so if you put adv there it will run straight from C:

    Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
    Current Laptop - Samsung Ativ 4 Book, Ivy Bridge I7 @ 2.00GHz per Core, 8GB DDR3 Ram, Intel HD 4000, 750GB SATA

    Please don't thank me unless I have helped you in some way, if you like my post then click like not thanks.

    Check out my github @ https://github.com/gollum18 or My Android Applications @ http://lrdev.net76.net
  9. #9  

    Default Re: Updating the phone to ICS and booting into recovery.

    If it were that easy, I think Tommy would have pointed it out.

    I did the ADB way and it was fine, not hard, but a bit annoying.

    Sent from my Viper 4G
  10. #10  

    Default Re: Updating the phone to ICS and booting into recovery.

    this is what my phone saysAttachment 44978
  11. #11  

    Default Re: Updating the phone to ICS and booting into recovery.

    Quote Originally Posted by progranade View Post
    And if that doesn't work the install may be corrupt so download this: https://www.dropbox.com/s/47w8gpbia2...ZVI_02_inc.zip actually don't do the first one try this.
    so is this a replacement for the update.zip?
  12. #12  

    Default Re: Updating the phone to ICS and booting into recovery.

    Quote Originally Posted by atrociousxcracka View Post
    so is this a replacement for the update.zip?
    just download it . that the official update from google server. when the download is complete. find the file highlight it and then right click it and find rename in your choices and just type update in lowercase letters only and then you have the file too add too your sd card and then use adb reboot recovery and your phone will reboot in recovery. you can read the guide how too install ics manual for all your directions if your lost on what too do with the file
    If you like my work or If I helped you. Please show some love and click the thanks button or donate here
  13. #13  

    Default Re: Updating the phone to ICS and booting into recovery.

    Quote Originally Posted by tommyjoesanders View Post
    just download it . that the official update from google server. when the download is complete. find the file highlight it and then right click it and find rename in your choices and just type update in lowercase letters only and then you have the file too add too your sd card and then use adb reboot recovery and your phone will reboot in recovery. you can read the guide how too install ics manual for all your directions if your lost on what too do with the file
    ok so i did that with the new file and i still get the same thing as last time

    Quote Originally Posted by atrociousxcracka View Post
    this is what my phone saysAttachment 44978
  14. #14  

    Default Re: Updating the phone to ICS and booting into recovery.

    Quote Originally Posted by atrociousxcracka View Post
    ok so i did that with the new file and i still get the same thing as last time
    it want let me see what the attachment you trying us
    If you like my work or If I helped you. Please show some love and click the thanks button or donate here
  15. #15  

    Default Re: Updating the phone to ICS and booting into recovery.

    imgur: the simple image sharer

    there i just used imgur
  16. #16  

    Default Re: Updating the phone to ICS and booting into recovery.

    Quote Originally Posted by atrociousxcracka View Post
    imgur: the simple image sharer

    there i just used imgur
    Did you remove any apps or root the phone prior to applying update.zip
    If you like my work or If I helped you. Please show some love and click the thanks button or donate here
  17. #17  

    Default Re: Updating the phone to ICS and booting into recovery.

    yes i rooted it and removed some stock apps like nascar

    but i un rooted it, recently, through reformatting
  18. #18  

    Default Re: Updating the phone to ICS and booting into recovery.

    Quote Originally Posted by atrociousxcracka View Post
    yes i rooted it and removed some stock apps like nascar

    but i un rooted it, recently, through reformatting
    did you use the unbrick guide too get back truly stock
    If you like my work or If I helped you. Please show some love and click the thanks button or donate here
  19. #19  

    Default Re: Updating the phone to ICS and booting into recovery.

    no i did not...do you have a link to that?

    also since that last post i just rerooted my phone because i was trying a solution that didnt work

    EDIT
    nevermind i found it, and im doing that now
  20. #20  

    Default Re: Updating the phone to ICS and booting into recovery.

    Quote Originally Posted by tommyjoesanders View Post
    did you use the unbrick guide too get back truly stock
    alright so i 'unbricked' my phone but now when i use the cmd 'adb reboot and recovery' it just restarts my phone now
  21. #21  

    Default Re: Updating the phone to ICS and booting into recovery.

    Quote Originally Posted by atrociousxcracka View Post
    alright so i 'unbricked' my phone but now when i use the cmd 'adb reboot and recovery' it just restarts my phone now
    are you on LS840ZVD firmware yet?
    If you like my work or If I helped you. Please show some love and click the thanks button or donate here
  22. #22  

    Default Re: Updating the phone to ICS and booting into recovery.

    you have too have update.zip on the root of the sd card. look at the guide too install manually install ICS
    If you like my work or If I helped you. Please show some love and click the thanks button or donate here
  23. #23  

    Default Re: Updating the phone to ICS and booting into recovery.

    alright it is updated!!!

    thyank you so much!!
  24. #24  

    Default Re: Updating the phone to ICS and booting into recovery.

    Your welcome

    Sent from my LG-LS840 using Android Central Forums
    If you like my work or If I helped you. Please show some love and click the thanks button or donate here

Similar Threads

  1. Is the ability to video call integrated into ICS?
    By Netguysc in forum Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-01-2013, 12:02 PM
  2. Help! Can't boot into recovery, cannot figure out how to access phone
    By rdb_522 in forum General Help and How To
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-23-2012, 09:38 PM
  3. My phone is rooted with caulkin v 3.0, can I do the OTA to ICS?
    By hailsusy90 in forum Epic 4G Touch Rooting, ROMs, and Hacks
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-15-2012, 12:52 AM
  4. Just updated my skyrocket to ICS still looks the same?
    By hanly2 in forum Samsung Galaxy S II Skyrocket
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-10-2012, 02:29 PM
  5. Updating my phone to the newer GB...having issues...
    By f75gunslinger in forum Verizon Fascinate
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-15-2012, 12:58 PM

Posting Permissions