Possibility of extracting system apps

ssg27

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
Is it possible to extract the system apps from the .cab firmware file with an android file explorer? The reason I ask is because I have the ICS update nagging the hell outta me but I can't update due to deleting all of the Sprint apps and google maps, street view, homescreen tips, play music, play books, tv and movies, and the news and weather apps. Restoring via pc is not an option because my pc got fried the other night and I do not have access to another one. I have managed to download all the google and Sprint apps and convert them to system apps but the update errors out during a check of the Geniewidget.apk

Sent from my LG-LS840 using Android Central Forums

thenameisnigel

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
Is it possible to extract the system apps from the .cab firmware file with an android file explorer? The reason I ask is because I have the ICS update nagging the hell outta me but I can't update due to deleting all of the Sprint apps and google maps, street view, homescreen tips, play music, play books, tv and movies, and the news and weather apps. Restoring via pc is not an option because my pc got fried the other night and I do not have access to another one. I have managed to download all the google and Sprint apps and convert them to system apps but the update errors out during a check of the Geniewidget.apk

Just use the unbrick method.

ssg27

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
Thing is, I don't have a pc right now in order to run the unbrick method. Only thing I have access to is my girlfriend's Mac

mij9895

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
Thing is, I don't have a pc right now in order to run the unbrick method. Only thing I have access to is my girlfriend's Mac

Does your girlfriend have an intel equipped Mac? If so, you can set up a virtual PC using VM Ware Fusion or Parallels, and install Windows, and do it from there. I live and breath Macs, and I have BootCamp set up on mine so I have Windows for school, and for my phone.

thenameisnigel

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
Does your girlfriend have an intel equipped Mac? If so, you can set up a virtual PC using VM Ware Fusion or Parallels, and install Windows, and do it from there. I live and breath Macs, and I have BootCamp set up on mine so I have Windows for school, and for my phone.

Wine?

ssg27

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
The mac belongs to the college she is going to and they frown on people installing their own software on it. As far as my pc is concerned, the cooling system failed for reasons I'm still trying to figure out and it caused my cpu to overheat to the point of cracking.

mij9895

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
The mac belongs to the college she is going to and they frown on people installing their own software on it. As far as my pc is concerned, the cooling system failed for reasons I'm still trying to figure out and it caused my cpu to overheat to the point of cracking.

Maybe she can ask for special permission for them to install Windows on it? It wouldn't hurt to ask.

ssg27

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
Gonna see tomorrow when she goes to class. From what I can tell, the update errors out when it check the signatures for the news and weather app and the google apps because it shows what looks to be md5 sums and they don't match.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781