Does your phone Overheat?

n0ve

May 12, 2012
Visit site
I have already gone to repair center got a free replacement for my overheating Viper.....that one had same issue. I then found out a little trick, (i don't pay for insurance), since my home is 50 miles minimum from any sprint corporate store, they have to overnight me new one. So, i had one overnight ed a few days ago...I received a refurb, that was one of the original Viper's (you can tell by the color of the touch buttons , and the codes on the back), it also had an old charger W/OUT removable usb cord...anyway this one overheated too. So i just called again complaining, mind you i still havent sent back the one they replaced, And ended up they already shipped me out ANOTHER lol...plus, for all the inconveniences, got free Airrave! month 2 month and $0 cost.... not bad...;\

Sprint AIRAVE Wireless In-Home Signal Booster for Voice & Data

I get terrible signal at home, i bet this will help alot

thenameisnigel

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
NOOOOOOO . I have one and it sucks terribly. If you browse the web and talk on the phone, the voice will be breaky and I have a 50mbs upload, 45mbs download.

anon(963605)

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I have the same problem, just put the phone in a big cool glass of ice water, that should help. It will cool it down... at least.
I did it and it isn't that bad just put the phone in a bag of rice for 3 days and whala! You're Viper is now underheated... I think, just make sure to not turn it on while removing it from the ice water.

jrsharp70

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
What case are you using? The only overheating issue I've had is when I'm charging the device in the car while running gps and music, it'll din the screen automatically, and if I try to brighten it, it'll tell me the phone is too hot.
Other than that, never had a problem with heat.

Sent from my LG-LS840 using Android Central Forums

wolfygang

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
My viper overheated so bad even when I underclocked it to 800mhz then occasionally it would boot loop, random shut offs, wouldn't charge, the soft keys would blink when I tried to charge it and wouldn't charge, and WiFi totally went out and wouldn't work anymore:p

Sent from my 4.1.2 Samsung Galaxy Hercules using Android Central Forums.

thenameisnigel

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
My viper overheated so bad even when I underclocked it to 800mhz then occasionally it would boot loop, random shut offs, wouldn't charge, the soft keys would blink when I tried to charge it and wouldn't charge, and WiFi totally went out and wouldn't work anymore:p

Sent from my 4.1.2 Samsung Galaxy Hercules using Android Central Forums.

If you underclock, you're going to bootloop. The system needs the process to start up apps (eg Android System, Dialer, etc) and when you underclock, you're not giving the system enough processing power to give those system apps high priority.

n0ve

May 12, 2012
Visit site
Ty all for the very sarcastic responses, lol...as far as the airrave, it states min requirements as being pretty low....i guess ill have to see when i get it, what was i goign to do turn down the offer? of course not...and their has been a batch of defective vipers that overheat, the replacement they sent was even worse, so now i have 3 lg vipers in my posession lol, too bad i have to send two of them back or im charged $500

edit: i figured router protected mode on, VMM qos on, would compensate, i run magicjack off my router 24/7 never effects a thing but id imagine thats drawing much less bandwith..

thenameisnigel

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
Ty all for the very sarcastic responses, lol...as far as the airrave, it states min requirements as being pretty low....i guess ill have to see when i get it, what was i goign to do turn down the offer? of course not...and their has been a batch of defective vipers that overheat, the replacement they sent was even worse, so now i have 3 lg vipers in my posession lol, too bad i have to send two of them back or im charged $500

edit: i figured router protected mode on, VMM qos on, would compensate, i run magicjack off my router 24/7 never effects a thing but id imagine thats drawing much less bandwith..

Yeah, give the Airvana highest priorty. Also, NEVER EVER directly connect your modem to your Airvana's WAN port and your router to the LAN1. It will kill bandwidth and your wifi will be so slow that it's barely usable.

n0ve

May 12, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, give the Airvana highest priorty. Also, NEVER EVER directly connect your modem to your Airvana's WAN port and your router to the LAN1. It will kill bandwidth and your wifi will be so slow that it's barely usable.

Ty for tip, i got a few different options im going to try when it gets here tomorrow, have enough routers/repeaters and switches in my home office to link up the state lol.

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Lol we had to replace my stepdads viper 3 times because of that overheating issue.

It would happen when the phone was just sitting idle.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Hmm I would try drilling holes in the back of the case, the removable part. I think it's the fact that it's aluminum( extremely good thermal conductor) combined with the fact that there is absolutely no ventilation on the phone at all that overheats it so rapidly.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

slinkies

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Just got off phone with sprint and I too am leaving the viper due to overheating issues and getting the galaxy nexus in exchange didn't take much just a call to tech supervisor told him bout overheating issues and charging issues and that was it and they sent out my nexus should b here by Tuesday :) I'd recommend doing so for any of u with these issues it was the nexus or the photon and photons stuck with gb plus the nexus is a really nice phone and is upgraded to jellybean already

Sent from my totally awesome jellybeanerific S2 epic 4G touch using tapatalk!

n0ve

May 12, 2012
Visit site
alrighty slinkies thanks for the info I just dont see it happening when i have spoken to supervisors , already gotten 3 replacements. And how would they consider a nexus comparable? ...IDk worth a shot maybe..

dakeshon

Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
I thought I was the only one! lol I will have to call Sprint tomorrow about another issue. When anyones phone goes hot does the screen become orange?

slinkies

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Really u just gotta not take no for an answer if Ne thing threaten them with takin ur lines to Verizon or somewhere like that sprint won't want to lose the customer I'm sure if u really push the factor they send u a replacement for it this was only my first viper and I told them I didn't want another one cuz we've had problems since we got the phone and after waiting on hold for what seemed like forever they came back on the line n said ok we can do that and shipped it out right then if u try it let me know if they do it for u.

slinkies

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Only a couple months as long as it's under the year warranty tho they should do it

dakeshon

Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
No go for me on it, I called and I was transferred to an Account Manager. They told me that since I was under Sprint Insurance that they couldn't do anything for me and that I had to call LG to troubleshoot the problem. They then told me to go to bestbuy to get the phone replaced with my insurance.