Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By n0ve
  • 1 Post By gollum18
  • 2 Post By thenameisnigel
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Can someone teach me

I would like to learn how to port a Rom, if anyone has time.

Default Re: Can someone teach me

I do add me on skype: pro_granade

What a ridiculous question
    /thread

Sent from my LG Viper 4g LTE using Tapatalk 2

Don't worry. I got this.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

I did Pro granade

Do you even know basic unix? If your running windows, start off by designating a month minimum to stay away from microsoft, install a beginner linux (Ubuntu if you must but i think that encourages people to think microsoft and the point is not to ;\, other choices IMO would be Mint 12 or Fedora...) In navigating around your new OS, installing drivers, you'll automatically learn some basics, and take it from there. For example you will learn what the actual definition of root means.

Exactly. I so very much agree with this. Ubuntu can no longer be called a starter distro because of how much it cups your sack. Like n0ve said, fedora and mint are good for noobies.

sudo apt-get update dark_mirage
    wormy987123 likes this.

Global Posts
    1,532 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Rooted Mk3

I wouldn't recommend Ubuntu 12.04, building android isn't stable for it yet. The preferred and what Google recommends is Ubuntu 10.04.

Its very user friendly. Took me a whole week to master.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
    Current Laptop - Samsung Ativ 4 Book, Ivy Bridge I7 @ 2.00GHz per Core, 8GB DDR3 Ram, Intel HD 4000, 750GB SATA

Please don't thank me unless I have helped you in some way, if you like my post then click like not thanks.

Check out my github @ https://github.com/gollum18 or My Android Applications @ http://lrdev.net76.net

We weren't recommending ubuntu at all, just if he wanted the most "windows ui like" , but suggested others.

Global Posts
    1,532 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Rooted Mk3

Surprised to see someone else up as late as me its 3 am where I live.

Anyways I know you guys weren't recommending it, but 10.04 isn't really that hard to learn. Still I should get around to trying mint or fedora myself

Current Laptop - Samsung Ativ 4 Book, Ivy Bridge I7 @ 2.00GHz per Core, 8GB DDR3 Ram, Intel HD 4000, 750GB SATA

Please don't thank me unless I have helped you in some way, if you like my post then click like not thanks.

Check out my github @ https://github.com/gollum18 or My Android Applications @ http://lrdev.net76.net
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Would MAC OSX be ok, I know it is base on linux.

OS X isn't based on Linux, its based around a Unix framework with a fork of FreeBSD which isn't Linux, it is generally classified as a POSIX system.

However it does share similarities in the command line with the Linux kernel based systems.

Your best choice to learn is as others suggested, get your hands dirty on a Linux based system like ArchLinux or Fedora.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

I think fedora is your best bet, install a VM if needed.

Sent from my LG-LS840 using Tapatalk 2
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

I am wondering if a program such as [KITCHEN] Android Kitchen, v0.218 [Linux / Mac / Windows] - xda-developers would work.
    I read through and it is with LG VIPER.

Global Posts
    1,458 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Cardwell View Post
    I am wondering if a program such as [KITCHEN] Android Kitchen, v0.218 [Linux / Mac / Windows] - xda-developers would work.
    I read through and it is with LG VIPER.
    It would be better to do the coding by hand until until you know your way into terminal. But whatever floats your boat.

Official OpenROM Developer
    Want to contribute to OpenROM? Click HERE.
    Want to view my personal GitHub? Click HERE.

Quote Originally Posted by thenameisnigel View Post
    It would be better to do the coding by hand until until you know your way into terminal. But whatever floats your boat.
    Exactly, because if you only learn like that when you run into trouble and there's no step 123467 what do you do? Lol

Sent from my LG-LS840 using Tapatalk 2

I wouldn't just suggest arch to people if I were you

Global Posts
    1,532 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Rooted Mk3

May be a little off topic but one of my college textbooks is all about Unix, the history and everything. It even has intros to programming in it (its about 800 pages btw), which is what my major is, software development I mean.

OSX is based on BSD Unix, the university of berkelys version of att-bells original Unix. And Linux is often referred to as a Unix clone, since it mimics the look and feel of Unix but isn't based on Unix or BSD Unix source code at all.

Gosh I feel like a nerd now...

Thanked by:
    Justin Cardwell likes this.
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  

How did you learn how to port ROMS. I know this is not a innate behavior for one to wake up one day and begin. If there is a website that may help me learn. PLEASE POST!
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #21  

Me precious.

Global Posts
    1,458 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Cardwell View Post
    How did you learn how to port ROMS. I know this is not a innate behavior for one to wake up one day and begin. If there is a website that may help me learn. PLEASE POST!
    Actually I learned by accidently bricking my phone a couple dozen times. Luckily I have insurance.

No seriously though, you want a guide, try something basic first like building a rom for a device that is actually supported by AOSP. Trust and believe that there are no roms on the viper yet because it's a dumb device. And LGE is just as dumb.

Official OpenROM Developer
    Want to contribute to OpenROM? Click HERE.
    Want to view my personal GitHub? Click HERE.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    1,532 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Rooted Mk3

Actually I learned by accidently bricking my phone a couple dozen times. Luckily I have insurance.

No seriously though, you want a guide, try something basic first like building a rom for a device that is actually supported by AOSP. Trust and believe that there are no roms on the viper yet because it's a dumb device. And LGE is just as dumb.
    +1

Global Posts
    1,532 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Rooted Mk3

My advice to you though, is to first learn at least some c/c++ and java (if you don't already know them) since they are the two primary languages used in android.

Don't even fiddle with smali code at first since you have to be a cyborg to read it

LGE made sure they were going make people work too unlock bootloader. and took the fun out making roms for this phone.
    If you like my work or If I helped you. Please show some love and click the thanks button or donate here